This Must Be Possible, Right?? (Tax reports in Q Mac)

Scott Schmidt
Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in Reports (Mac)
Folks - I was doing my taxes yesterday and I wanted to create a report showing interest/dividends/cap gain distributions for selected securities, subtotaled by security, for a given time period. Easily done in Quicken Mac 2007, and it also appears to be hard-coded in the Tax Schedule canned report (under Schedule D, except that all securities are shown along with all of the other tax-related information. When I try to even modify the canned tax report using the "Customize" button, it's impossible to pare it down to anything smaller, except for date range.

I'm still new to QM2019, and this is my first time doing my routine tax reporting with it. But for the life of me, I can't find a way to make it create a report like this. It must be possible, right? Right?

Please let me know if you know how to accomplish this (very basic and essential) task, that any personal finance software program should be able to do. Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• ninaz
    ninaz Mac Beta Beta
    As I said in another thread, I don't understand why you would create the new reports without a way to sub-total. The old summary report allowed the use of tags to sub-total. Is that ever going to come back? Is there somewhere to vote for that to be added to the new reports?

I understand that you can filter to group by tag in the new report, but it doesn't sub-total.

I really need to be able to sub-total categories by account for things like interest.

For this year, I am continuing to use the old summary report. @Scott Schmidt have you tried using that report? I know there say there have been problems with that old version. I have not found it yet.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @ninaz We're not the programming team here; we're fellow users -- so we can't answer why they did it the way they did.

There is an existing Idea thread for subtotal functionality here; please vote for it (click the little gray up arrow under the vote count in the blue box). The developers have been slowly adding functuonality to the new reports engine and interface over the past several years, so we can hope that this is still on their to-do list -- but there's no way to know if or when this functionality will get added.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ninaz
    ninaz Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2020
    @jacobs Thank you. I think I meant the generic you, like why would any programmer...? I can't quite find one that fits the sub-totals I was referring to, so I think I started a new request earlier today. https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7870391/sub-totals-in-reports/p1?new=1
    The one I saw was sub-totals by month, I think.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you give an example layout about how you envision your subtotals to look? You can add it to your new IDEA thread to contain the info together.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• ninaz
    ninaz Mac Beta Beta
    @smayer97 @Quicken Marcus Here are a couple of screenshot without the totals using the old Category summary report using tags.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like both your examples have the data cut off so there is not much to show what you are after.

BTW, I suggest posting any more examples in your IDEA thread here:

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• ninaz
    ninaz Mac Beta Beta
    I purposely cut off the totals, because I didn't want to post them. Figured you would understand that each group is subtotaled. I am sending this to Marcus in an email.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not just the totals that cut off...

This discussion has been closed.