Updating For Two Different Account Registrations

Hello: I have Quicken Deluxe that I use for my personal bookkeeping. It is registered to me personally, and is linked to my personal email address.

I also use Quicken for maintaining the accounts for the camera club. It is also Quicken Deluxe, and it is registered to me c/o the camera club -- I use a different email address for the club's data, and it is kept on a different computer.

Whenever I try to update the account information for the camera club, Quicken tries to link it to my personal account data, which I refuse and, therefore, I cannot update electronically any account information for the camera club.

How do I update the account information for the camera club without affecting my personal account information? I thought that using a different email address would solve the problem; but, it hasn't.

Thank you for your help.

N.B. I may have posted this question previously. This time, however, I am being more detailed (IMHO) :# in my explanation of the problem.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    As clarification to what splasher said:  Since you already have unique Quicken data files on two separate computers you will only change your QID 1X for your camera club Quicken program.  There is nothing to reverse provided you never share data files between your personal computer and your camera club computer.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Eugene, another suggestion:  If you don't have a lot of old data in your camera club file, you might want to create a new data file with your camera club Quicken QID.  You can then export as a QFX file from your current file, save that file and then import it into your new data file.  Hopefully you would have little that you would need manually enter into the new data file.  Quicken Help has some pretty easy to follow instructions on how to do this.  It would require a little work up front but I would think this would eliminate this whole QID issue for you going forward.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Do you have two unique Quicken accounts and IDs...one for your personal data file and one for your camera club data file?  If you want your personal Quicken account information to not be used with your camera club data file, you need to have two unique Quicken accounts and IDs, one for each data file.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    As clarification to what splasher said:  Since you already have unique Quicken data files on two separate computers you will only change your QID 1X for your camera club Quicken program.  There is nothing to reverse provided you never share data files between your personal computer and your camera club computer.

• Eugene Apicella
    Eugene Apicella Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Do you have two unique Quicken accounts and IDs...one for your personal data file and one for your camera club data file?  If you want your personal Quicken account information to not be used with your camera club data file, you need to have two unique Quicken accounts and IDs, one for each data file.

I already have two unique Quicken accounts and IDs -- I log in to my personal account using my email personal email address, which is not connected to or otherwise affiliated with the camera club's data file.
  • Eugene Apicella
    OK. I logged into the Quicken account for the camera club. That data is tied to the email address that I'm using for the camera club, not my personal email address. All the account information is related to the camera club. I even used my cell phone number as the contact number, instead of using my home phone number. I still don't understand why, when I get the popup asking if I want to update the information, that it's tied to my personal data and not tied to the camera club's data.
  • Eugene Apicella
    Thank you, EVERYONE, for your help. I'm not trying to start a cyberwar here -- I'm just looking for guidance, and both of you have provided it. Thank you.
  • Eugene Apicella
    Splasher: Now that I understand how all this works, I'll be better prepared for when the next popup makes its ugly appearance. Thanks.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

…  That is, unless Quicken has changed something in the last 7-8 years where changes made in one unique data file on one computer will now cause changes to another unique data file on another computer.

Everything changed with subscription Quicken.  Prior to Q2013, there was no Quicken Id and it was added to implement QMobile.  With subscription Quicken, there is one QID per license and the software AND the data file have the QID associated with them separately.  So, when the QID on them doesn't match, it complains as is shown in my screenshot above.  Another indication that they don't match is looking at Edit->Preferences->Quicken Id and seeing that the QID information is not shown.
    Also, your use case is different from the OP's use case.  They have two Q licenses and therefore two QIDs.  They don't want them co-mingled.  You had two files with different QIDs and converted the second (your mother's) to your QID and stopped using her QID altogether.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Also, each Quicken file has a "Dataset ID" which is created only when you do File > New, is preserved across copies of the file, and cannot be changed. If you do File > File Operations > Copy, the new copy will retain the same Dataset ID as the original. This has allowed some interaction across "unique" files in some edge cases when using web services because they're not unique according to this ID.
    Do Edit > Preferences > Cloud Accounts and hold Ctrl or Shift while clicking "Edit cloud account name" and you'll see this ID.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Eugene Apicella
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Do you have two unique Quicken accounts and IDs...one for your personal data file and one for your camera club data file?  If you want your personal Quicken account information to not be used with your camera club data file, you need to have two unique Quicken accounts and IDs, one for each data file.

Yes, there are two different accounts and two different login names (the email addresses are different). Whenever I get the prompt to update the data, and I click on it, I get a second popup telling me that the data belongs to someone else (me), and it asks if I want to sign on as the other person (me) or do I want to reassign ownership of the data file to the new user (camera club). THAT'S when I simply hit "cancel" and I just update the data manually.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken are you using? Why don't you just reassign ownership to the camera club?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    splasher said:
    Everything changed with subscription Quicken.  Prior to Q2013, there was no Quicken Id and it was added to implement QMobile.  With subscription Quicken, there is one QID per license and the software AND the data file have the QID associated with them separately.  So, when the QID on them doesn't match, it complains as is shown in my screenshot above.  Another indication that they don't match is looking at Edit->Preferences->Quicken Id and seeing that the QID information is not shown.
    Also, your use case is different from the OP's use case.  They have two Q licenses and therefore two QIDs.  They don't want them co-mingled.  You had two files with different QIDs and converted the second (your mother's) to your QID and stopped using her QID altogether.
    Thanks for explanation.  I had no idea that the subscription model would have done this.  Too bad.  That implementation of QID and how it works might have been necessary for QMobile but it certainly has made it less user friendly for others who don't use QMobile.
    BTW, both my mother and I were using Q2011 at the time and we ran both files concurrently for about 6 months without issue on either of our Quickens.  I didn't upgrade to Q2013 until after that which could be the reason why we didn't see this issue.

• Eugene Apicella
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > What version of Quicken are you using? Why don't you just reassign ownership to the camera club?

Whatever the latest version is. I don't want to reassign ownership of my personal data to the camera club. I want to maintain separate accounts across the board -- that's why I have the camera club data on a different computer.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Eugene, another suggestion:  If you don't have a lot of old data in your camera club file, you might want to create a new data file with your camera club Quicken QID.  You can then export as a QFX file from your current file, save that file and then import it into your new data file.  Hopefully you would have little that you would need manually enter into the new data file.  Quicken Help has some pretty easy to follow instructions on how to do this.  It would require a little work up front but I would think this would eliminate this whole QID issue for you going forward.

• Eugene Apicella
    > @splasher said:
    > @Eugene Apicella
    > Evidently you have used one of the files on the other computer, otherwise you would not be getting the message that you are in is post above:
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20072024/#Comment_20072024

When you're right, you're right. I realized that during the back 'n forth in this forum. I deleted the errant data file from my personal laptop. Now I'm just waiting for the next opportunity to do an update to the camera club's data.

Thank you, again, for your guidance -- and your patience.
  • Eugene Apicella
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Eugene, another suggestion:  If you don't have a lot of old data in your camera club file, you might want to create a new data file with your camera club Quicken QID.  You can then export as a QFX file from your current file, save that file and then import it into your new data file.  Hopefully you would have little that you would need manually enter into the new data file.  Quicken Help has some pretty easy to follow instructions on how to do this.  It would require a little work up front but I would think this would eliminate this whole QID issue for you going forward.

That always was my Plan B. I didn't want to waste it if the fix is a simple fix. I guess that Plan B is a simple fix.

Thanks for your help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you deleted a file by mistake ... have you looked in your Recycle Bin? It might still be there.
    Also look in the Automatic or Manual Backup folder locations to see if you can restore the file from there. You do have backups, don't you?

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• Eugene Apicella
    > @UKR said:
    > If you deleted a file by mistake ... have you looked in your Recycle Bin? It might still be there.
    > Also look in the Automatic or Manual Backup folder locations to see if you can restore the file from there. You do have backups, don't you?https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

> @UKR said:
    > If you deleted a file by mistake ... have you looked in your Recycle Bin? It might still be there.
    > Also look in the Automatic or Manual Backup folder locations to see if you can restore the file from there. You do have backups, don't you?https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

There was no file deletion. I maintain two different Quicken accounts on two different computers. Whenever I try to do an update on File B, Quicken tells me that the file belongs to another registered user, and asks if I want to reassign the file to me -- I don't. The other user is my camera club, and my personal financial data belongs to me. I don't want the two mingling. I thought that maintaining the data on two different computers would solve the problem; but, it hasn't. I'll have to do what was already suggested, i.e. log in as the camera club, and ensure that the account registration is accurate, and that I didn't screw up anything.
This discussion has been closed.