Importing from MoneyDance (.qif file), won't import history in Quicken Starter (2020)

I'm trying to import all my history from MoneyDance into my new Quicken Starter 2020 (subscription) for Windows. At 1st it would say "Unable to complete .qif Import. This file contains Investing Information, but Investing features are not currently activated in your copy of Quicken. For information on how to upgrade..." I get that, I just have the Starter version.

So I went back into MoneyDance and deleted all the investment accounts & transactions linked to them. Did another export from MoneyDance to a .qif file, then tried to import that one and I still get the same error message.

It DOES, however, import the regular account names & all my category names, just ABSOLUTELY NO transactions!!

I would LOVE help with this, so I won't have to have two files (MoneyDance and Quicken) on my computer. And I do NOT want to reenter all of last year on Quicken.

I have not put ANYTHING into Quicken yet, as I saw an answer saying you can only do this import at the first time.

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    For what is worth, my guess would be that even though you have deleted the investment accounts in MoneyDance it is still putting out account information that makes Quicken "think" that there is investment data in them.

Note also the Starter version doesn't support loan or house account types, so that might be part of the problem.

I know for a fact that the Starter version can import QIF files for the account types that it supports.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm another user.  Apparently you can't accept the facts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• lozinit
    lozinit Member
    Naw-I can accept them, I just don't want to:) (I guess I have to:(

Thanks for your help!:)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    For what is worth, my guess would be that even though you have deleted the investment accounts in MoneyDance it is still putting out account information that makes Quicken "think" that there is investment data in them.

Note also the Starter version doesn't support loan or house account types, so that might be part of the problem.

I know for a fact that the Starter version can import QIF files for the account types that it supports.
    Signature:
  • lozinit
    lozinit Member
    That's what I was thinking might be happening (that MoneyDance still had info in there maybe) THANKS for writing what you did, though, cuz my brain was getting discombobulated(sp?) reading through all the Q&A's on Quicken and on MoneyDance (I posted my question on MoneyDance too, but I usually don't get any replies). And I thought I was maybe thinking crazy.

I didn't realize the Starter version did not support loan or house acct loans and I DO have that, therefore that stuff was trying to transfer over to Quicken too.

I'm thinking I just need to upgrade-I was trying SO HARD to be thrifty!:):) UGH!

Thanks again!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. One guess at what is in there would be the security list and/or the prices.
    Signature:
  • lozinit
    lozinit Member
    I only had the NAME of the Investment company (ie. Franklin Templeton, etc) and just showed when we put deposits in it. I never tried to sync it with the actual investment online (& actually never put interest or reconciled it-hadn't figured out how to do that in MoneyDance yet) So there was no other information that I can think of(?) Needless to say, when I deleted the account, ALL of my transactions that came out of our checking to that particular investment company, got DELETED too, so now my checking account balance is wrong (I'm hoping putting back in the most recent back up will change that-blah!) I didn't think that one through when I said "yes" to delete. Thankfully that is not too many transactions to manually enter if the back up doesn't work.

But yeah, I didn't have any "security list &/or prices".

I'm sure there is something, though...

I just upgraded, cuz I WILL want to track our mortgage...

Thanks!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Your welcome.
    Signature:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:

Not sure where you are headed with this comment.
    Facts are, Quicken Starter will import QIF files, it just has a lot of caveats about what it will accept and deal with.  I was just playing with this myself to answer this question and my regular file with investments and loan accounts was causing it to have issues, but a file with only cash, checking, saving and credit accounts imported just fine.
    The OPs problem will be generating a QIF file that only has those account types.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    splasher said:
    NotACPA said:

Not sure where you are headed with this comment.

Comment that I was referencing isn't there any more.
    See OP's following comment about "Naw, I can accept them ..."

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    The OPs problem will be generating a QIF file that only has those account types.
    Is the QIF file pretty serial in nature with respect to accounts & details -
    Can you just bring it up in Notepad, and delete the bad sections -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• lozinit
    lozinit Member
    Thanks! Y'all! I just bit the bullet & upgraded to Deluxe and everything transferred really good!
This discussion has been closed.