Split transactions showing up in Tag Column

Why are my split categories (which are already categorized in their own respective categories) are also showing up in the "Tag" column in my register. I prefer not to have the categorized transaction not showing up in the "Tag" column, but remain in the "Category" column. What can I do to turn this "option" off, if any. Thank you...

Best Answers

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying literally that if you Categorize a transaction as say, "Groceries", that "Groceries" is also showing up in the Tag column? 
    As far as I know there's no option like that.  The Tag is a completely separate and distinct field in the Quicken database and is there to provide more "granularity" to classifying a transaction in a way that's meaningful to you. Clearly just repeating the Category in the Tag field doesn't do that.  My best guess would be that memorized transactions with this duplication are what you're seeing, though if that happens even with a new, never before used payee,  then that guess would be wrong. 
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If what you are seeing in the register Tag column is "--Split--" it is only a reference to the split categories.  When you bring your cursor over the "--Split--" in the Tag column it will show the split categories but not the tags themselves.
    If you do use tags, then I know of no way to get Quicken to stop showing it this way.
    If you do not use tags, click on the Gear icon at the top right of the register, then click on "Register Columns" and then uncheck "Tag".  Note that if you do this you will not see any tags in the register nor in the split categories popup.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, Boatnmaniac described the scenario that I am having!!!

My point is why is there a need for the "--Split--" to show up in the Tag column and is redundant??? The Category column is sufficient enough for my split categories.

Any rationale why this is so??? Could the Quicken gods explain this unnecessary duplication??? Or am I missing out on something???

I do use tags for proper recording wherever applicable.

Thank you!!!
  • ksrothschild
    ksrothschild Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Boatnmanaic... I hope these Quicken personnel will see this and realize their misgivings, if any... is there a conduit for me to bring this thoughts up to these Quicken programmers??? Thanks a bunch, again!!!
This discussion has been closed.