How to update from Quicken for Mac 16.2.4 (2007) to OS Catalina

I currently use Quicken for Mac 2007 (16.2.4) on OS Mojave. I would like to update to OS Catalina and need advice on how to successfully do this. I only use Quicken for a checking account and input manually. I don't need to download from any financial institutions, do budgets, or anything else. Thanks for the help!

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    To run on Catalina, you will need to get the modern Quicken Mac. The easiest path for this is to buy a one-year subscription (which runs about $40 on Amazon typically). Quicken Mac (aka Quicken 2020) will import your Quicken 2007 data file. You will have somewhat of a learning curve for the new program and user interface, but for most people, the conversion is pretty straightforward.

After a year, you will have decision of either renewing your subscription or continuing to use Quicken without a subscription -- which you can do, for manual data entry, but you lose roughly the right 20% of your screen for an obnoxious renewal message Quicken has elected to display to anyone who doesn't renew; it's workable, just annoying. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited April 2020 Answer ✓
    EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see @jacobs response to you before posting my response. To answer your 2nd question though-- Yes, you will need to install and convert to the new program first before installing OS Catalina.

Hello @tkadell,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

If you are using Quicken 2007-- please, do not upgrade your Mac OS to Catalina yet. Being that Quicken 2007 is an unsupported version and no longer releases any new update releases, and therefore, is not compatible with OS Catalina. Doing so will cause you to no longer be able to access your data file.

Please, click here for further information on this matter.
    If you plan to run Catalina, you will need to upgrade to the latest Quicken 2020 program and convert your 2007 file to the new program.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    @jacobs Yes, I agree with you.

You can still convert the file even after installing Mac OS Catalina.

Just for clarification-- we just simply recommend installing the latest program beforehand. The reason being-- if anything were to go wrong during the first initial conversion process, that would then result in having to go back into Quicken 2007 to save a new backup file and then use that new backup file to start over and redo the conversion process.

Sorry, my mistake! I should have added that in my previous response.

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    To run on Catalina, you will need to get the modern Quicken Mac. The easiest path for this is to buy a one-year subscription (which runs about $40 on Amazon typically). Quicken Mac (aka Quicken 2020) will import your Quicken 2007 data file. You will have somewhat of a learning curve for the new program and user interface, but for most people, the conversion is pretty straightforward.

After a year, you will have decision of either renewing your subscription or continuing to use Quicken without a subscription -- which you can do, for manual data entry, but you lose roughly the right 20% of your screen for an obnoxious renewal message Quicken has elected to display to anyone who doesn't renew; it's workable, just annoying. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tkadell
    tkadell Member ✭✭
    jacobs, thank you for your response!
    Just to clarify, I need to install the new Quicken Mac on my current OS Mojave and import my Quicken 2007 data file BEFORE I update to OS Catalina, correct?
  • Quicken Anja
    EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see @jacobs response to you before posting my response. To answer your 2nd question though-- Yes, you will need to install and convert to the new program first before installing OS Catalina.

Hello @tkadell,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

If you are using Quicken 2007-- please, do not upgrade your Mac OS to Catalina yet. Being that Quicken 2007 is an unsupported version and no longer releases any new update releases, and therefore, is not compatible with OS Catalina. Doing so will cause you to no longer be able to access your data file.

Please, click here for further information on this matter.
    If you plan to run Catalina, you will need to upgrade to the latest Quicken 2020 program and convert your 2007 file to the new program.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• Quicken Anja
    @jacobs Yes, I agree with you.

You can still convert the file even after installing Mac OS Catalina.

Just for clarification-- we just simply recommend installing the latest program beforehand. The reason being-- if anything were to go wrong during the first initial conversion process, that would then result in having to go back into Quicken 2007 to save a new backup file and then use that new backup file to start over and redo the conversion process.

Sorry, my mistake! I should have added that in my previous response.

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• tkadell
    tkadell Member ✭✭
    Thank you @jacobs and @Quicken Anja for being so helpful. I greatly appreciate it!
  • tkadell
    tkadell Member ✭✭
    One more question: Considering that I don't use most of the features Quicken offers, am I fine getting the Starter version or is there a reason to get the Deluxe version?
This discussion has been closed.