Help me understand "Affects investment performance"

Rocket J Squirrel
Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in Investing (Windows)
I consider myself a fairly literate English speaker, but I don't understand the words in the tool tip which comes from the (i) next to "Affects income performance" in the Edit Category dialog.
I understand the first sentence, but not the second.
I'd appreciate someone translating this into small words even you-know-who could understand. It seems like a rare use-case to need this option, but someone must have needed it enough for it to be added.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect value of $10K is supposed to be the Growth of $10,000 chart available as a Home view item and on the Performance view on the Investing tab.  The intent of the option appears to be to enable us to control whether a categorized investment transaction is considered return.  As you're likely aware, this would impact the average annual return (aka IRR) and the Growth of $10,000 chart.

However, in my quick test, applying the option did not appear to have any impact on return.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    This new feature was discussed at some length here
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20068703#Comment_20068703

I agree that the rollover help text is confusing.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @Jim_Harman . I must have either missed that thread or glazed over while reading it as I just did. I see I'm not the only one confused by the tool tip verbiage.
    I have an even better solution. I don't pay any fees on any of my investment accounts.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.