Can I access a .quicken file from 2-Macs?

I'd like to be able to access the .Quicken file from either my iMac or my Laptop. Rather than storing the file in ~/Application Support/Quicken/Documents/"myMoney".quicken is it possible to store the file in iCloud or OneDrive?? This would give me the ability of accessing "MyMoney" from either machine.

Best Answers

Answers

• Frank McLellan
    Frank McLellan Member ✭✭
    G’day Anja
    Thank you for the reply, it’s quite helpful.
    If I understand this correctly I can place the “MyMoney.quicken” file in a common place such as iCloud BUT that I run the risk of possible data corruption. So more than likely I will not go this route. It does, however, make using the same data from two separate locations somewhat more problematic (work here, live there - home on weekends). As you say using backups may be a more viable and safer method. Quicken does offer the option of storing the backups to a location of your choosing which could be on iCloud or OneDrive. So restoring to another device, desktop or laptop, would be relatively painless. You would simplely have to remember to restore each time you are using a different device. Call me paranoid but I do create a backup weekly to the cloud of the data file using other software. Thankfully I have never had to do a restore from it.
  • Frank McLellan
    Frank McLellan Member ✭✭
    G’day Anja
    Thank you for the reply, it’s quite helpful.
    If I understand this correctly I can place the “MyMoney.quicken” file in a common place such as iCloud BUT that I run the risk of possible data corruption. So more than likely I will not go this route. It does, however, make using the same data from two separate locations somewhat more problematic (work here, live there - home on weekends). As you say using backups may be a more viable and safer method. Quicken does offer the option of storing the backups to a location of your choosing which could be on iCloud or OneDrive. So restoring to another device, desktop or laptop, would be relatively painless. You would simplely have to remember to restore each time you are using a different device. Call me paranoid but I do create a backup weekly to the cloud of the data file using other software. Thankfully I have never had to do a restore from it.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you adopt a workflow where you always create a backup to your cloud service each time you finish using Quicken, on whatever computer you're on, and always grab the backup from your cloud service to your computer and start Quicken from that local file each time you use Quicken, you'll be able to manage with Quicken in multiple locations without messing up. The key is that you always start from a backup and end by creating a new backup, in the same place each time.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Frank McLellan
    Frank McLellan Member ✭✭
    G’day Jacobs
    Thanks for the clarification. I see what you mean about the “Show Packages…”. Initially I thought you were talking about the App itself but was able to see the “Show…” using a Right-Click (cntl-click did not work for me). As I replied to Anja, I will probably NOT go the iCloud route but instead to the restore from backup method. I would centralize the backups as this would give me access from either device.

Oh. I just saw your additional reply. Good advice.
    Thanks Again!!!
  • jacobs
    Frank: For what it's worth, on a Mac, Control-click is a right-click. Unless you've got a mouse configured for right-clicking, Control-click is the only way to bring up contextual options when clicking on something. 
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    Hello again @Frank McLellan,

I also do want to mention to you that an alternative option would be to sync your Quicken data to the Quicken Cloud which will allow you to access your data either from a mobile phone or from a web browser through our website. This way will also no longer require you to save and restore backups constantly either.

Let me know if that is something you would be interested in and I will be happy to provide you with further information on that as well.

Thank you,

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    Frank, just know that what you can do on the mobile app or web interface which Anja mentioned is a subset of what you can do on desktop Quicken. Also, know that you cannot use the Quicken Cloud to sync between two Macs. It can be useful if you want to enter transactions as they happen, or look something up; just don't view it as an equivalent second device solution.
This discussion has been closed.