Installing Q2020 over Q2018 with updates

I installed Q2018 with 2 year subscription. Renewal is 49.99. I can download Q2020 with 1 year subscription for 29.99 from Fry's Electronics. Question is, my version now shows Year:2020, R26.21 Build 27.1.26.21, can I install the Q2020 over my Q2018 that shows to be already updated to 2020. would like to save the $20. Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since 2018, it is just subscription Quicken, the year is pure marketing.  Having an active subscription gets you all updates to the software and all the online banking features.  It is an all inclusive price, not a fee in addition to the software purchase.
    It doesn't matter where you purchase Quicken from, Quicken.com or a retailer partner, it is all the same, the only difference is the $/month, so shop around for the best deal.
    Now and then, Quicken.com will make an offer that is pretty good that is only valid to first time subscription buyers, so there is a chance that Quicken.com may be a better deal that the retailers.
    If you purchase from Quicken.com, the initial subscription starts at the time of purchase; with a retail purchase, it starts when you activate the subscription.
    I advise that after your subscription is active, you login to Quicken.com and set your account preferences to "Auto Renew" to OFF, that way you have complete control over the price when you extend your subscription in the future since Quicken.com charges MSRP.
    If you already have an active subscription, purchasing either way will EXTEND the subscription, this just has to happen during the last 6 months of the current subscription. (Keeps you from buying lots of activation codes and immediately activating all of them, so that you end up with a subscription ending in 5 years or so)
    So, the bottom line is, with an extension, you just have to apply the new activation code from the Help menu.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double check that you're on 27.1.26.21, because 27.1.26.23 is the latest version.
    BUT, even more important, check your "Valid Thru" date at HELP, About Quicken.
    That's the info that you need to use to determine if you should renew/extend your subscription.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.