payees not showing up on income/expense report by category but the used to!

I make reports of my income/expense to give to my CPA for getting my taxes completed. Like the subject says, I am not seeing my itemized payees (just the amounts) when expanding a category. This is making my report difficult to prepare for my CPA. I have tried fixes others have used in the online help but to no avail. Please help!
Quicken Version R26.23 Build 27.1.26.23

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    We do not know which other fixes you have tried.

An Income/Expense by Category report doesn't show itemized payees and we cannot expand a category.  If you're drilling down on a specific amount in the report, the Description column should provide the payee.  If the Description column is missing or blank, I suggest you press Alt + C, select Reset Columns, and OK.
  • smittyla629
    smittyla629 Member ✭✭
    "An Income/Expense by Category doesn't show itemized payees and we cannot expand a category."

-always did in the past but why would it go away? new version?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    "An Income/Expense by Category doesn't show itemized payees and we cannot expand a category."

-always did in the past but why would it go away? new version?
    Never has.  Perhaps you're thinking of another report.
  • smittyla629
    smittyla629 Member ✭✭
    i did it every year. i printed out the categories he needed one-by-one with all payees listed under their respective category.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you try the Reset Columns as recommended by @Sherlock above?

What was the result?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • smittyla629
    smittyla629 Member ✭✭
    it was one of the first things i tried upon reading in the forums before asking my question. after a lengthy chat session, the quicken agent told me it was version issue as i suspected from the get go. i reinstalled (downgraded) and all is good. i will have to find another way to do this next year with the updated software or go to another platform that can. thank s for trying, um, sherlock.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Try this:  After you drill down on an amount from the Income/Expense by Category report, select Payee in the Subtotal by: pull-down menu.  This should coerce the report to appear as itemized payees for the category.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Perhaps are you thinking of the 'Income/Expense by Payee" report?
    Or one of the Tax Reports?
    Because, like others, I don't believe that "Income/Expense by Category" has EVER displayed payee names.
    Sending your accountant one of the Tax reports would make MUCH more sense than sending an "Income/Expense" report.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure which report you're working with, but this report with "Update to show" / "Transaction Detail" selected, shows all transactions, with detail, by Category: Reports / Spending / Itemized Categories

If all of your transactions are already properly categorized, with categories using appropriate tax line items, ready to be loaded into the tax software, you can also use the Tax Schedule  or Tax Summary reports.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @UKR, Good Catch.  I don't believe that I've previously seen that variation of the report.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• smittyla629
    smittyla629 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > I'm not sure which report you're working with, but this report with "Update to show" / "Transaction Detail" selected, shows all transactions, with detail, by Category: Reports / Spending / Itemized Categories
    > (Image)
    > If all of your transactions are already properly categorized, with categories using appropriate tax line items, ready to be loaded into the tax software, you can also use the Tax Schedule  or Tax Summary reports.

Thank you everyone for your insight. The customer support person I spoke with at Quicken, after confirming the change in versions caused what I had been doing in the past to disappear, suggested I try what @UKR has suggested here. I already downgraded to create my report for my CPA but I plan on re-upgrading and giving it a try for next year. I know I will have more questions, so I will come back here and ask the SuperUsers of this group! Again, thank you all.
This discussion has been closed.