Changing of browser for updating accounts

I use Quicken Canadian edition and I download with success my banking datas since many years with Internet EXPLORER as browser .
Today I downloaded the new Microsoft browser EDGE and choosed it as default browser. So when I downloaded my banking datas after , asking only for new transactions, all transactions since many years have been updated in my Quicken account. My Quicken banking accounts were all mixed up !
I had a backup of Quicken datas, so I reinstalled it and used EXPLORER again to update my banking datas without problem.
My first question is when this kind of problem happens, is it possible to delete all transactions and not one by one  before accepting them and avoid them to be register in the account.
My second question is how to avoid duplicate datas in a banking account when default browser is changed from EXPLORER  to Google CHROME or Microsoft EDGE. 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• PLR
    PLR Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Finally, I deleted EXPLORER to use GOOGLE CHROME as default browser and everything is running well.😃

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    First question:  No but we can accept all the transactions and delete then all at once: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7179327/faq-i-have-a-manual-account-i-want-to-activate-for-downloading-how-do-i-prevent-duplicates

Second question:  The choice of browser should have no impact on the import of duplicate transactions.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Like Sherlock said the choice of browser shouldn't matter, but I suppose that your financial institution's website could "react" differently to them.  What I would try is downloading the QFX file using each of them, and then compare the QFX files.  They should be identical.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PLR
    PLR Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your answers which unfortunately didn’t help me.
    I  fact you’re right , probably my bank treat my files with a different browser as new files and download all datas .
    I tried to upgrade my banking datas with Google Chrome some days ago and I had the same issue.
    Tomorrow, with EDGE,  I will try to download banking datas asking from June 15th, 2020 to June 17th 2020 and I will see if datas before these days will be downloaded again .
    After I will try do download datas since last upgrade and I will see result, hoping that it’s will work.
    If no, I will not know how to proceed with a new browser to download my banking datas without this issue.
    So I will be oblige to stick with Explorer as long it will be available .
    I hope that QUICKEN will try to fix that kind of issue because I’m sure that I’m not the only one with this issue.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken doesn't have any control over what a financial institution puts in its QFX files.

Besides that there is something else that seems wrong.

In the QFX file each transaction gets a unique Id (the FITID field).  The financial institution is suppose to assign the same one to the same transaction.  Quicken records the ones that it imports and it will ignore duplicates.

So not only does it seem that your financial institution is generating different data files based on what web browser you are using, it seems it is generating different unique Ids for the same transactions, which is a violation of the OFX standard.

Again something to verify by looking at the two QFX files downloaded.  You can edit a QFX file with any text editor.
    Signature:
  • PLR
    PLR Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your answer, but as I’m not an expert in computer and softwares  I don’t understand what you are talking about.
    So I will continue to download datas with EXPLORER hoping it will work for a while.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There are HTML XML commands that can identify the browser that's being used, and adjust what's presented accordingly.
    I frequently used them as MSIE interpreted some HTML commands in a different manner than other browsers.  MS's interpretation differed from the published standard.
    [EDIT] to correct the type of command.  There's no such thing as an IF statement in pure HTML [/EDIT]

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• PLR
    PLR Member ✭✭✭
    So ...what should I do next ?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    PLR said:
    So ...what should I do next ?
    What is the name of the financial institution?

If the QFX files obtained by using various browsers are significantly different, I suggest alerting the financial institution.

In the meantime, you certainly may continue using IE.

• PLR
    PLR Member ✭✭✭
    My bank is ROYAL BANK OF CANADA /RBC which I contacted this afternoon to inform them of this issue.
    They will treat it eventually.
  • PLR
    PLR Member ✭✭✭
    I’m going back to my first question and I suggest to Quicken to work on the sofware to permit to delete multiples datas, instead of one by one , identified as “new transaction” before accepting them in a banking account as it’s possible to do so with emails in Outlook or other sofware.
    May be my suggestion will be though to be achieved but it will be an improvement of the sofware which I used generally with satisfaction since 20 years 😄
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @PLR Well according to the status (page 1) on this idea (which is how Quicken Inc takes suggestions) they already plan to do that.  But as you can see they said that years ago.  And if you look at the FAQ/article that @Sherlock posted you can see it has been requested for many, many more years than that (The FAQ was put up because of the number times the question comes up so for sure everyone knows it is needed).  My understanding is many years ago they tried doing testing doing it in a beta, but it never made it out of beta for some reason.

Personally I have just gone to using automatic transaction entry mode.  Once you get use to it and understand it, it works just as well as going through the Downloaded Transactions tab.  And since you are using the register you have the full use of its features, including multiple select and delete.

BTW it occurs to me that if you are getting duplicates when you switch web browsers, that might only be for that first time.  So that might mean that if switch, you might have to only delete the duplicates one time and then go on from there with the other web browser.
    Signature:
  • PLR
    PLR Member ✭✭✭
    I tried to delete “new transactions” one by one ( I had over 500 to delete) but after a while software was mixed up .
    That’s the reason I suggested  to be able to delete them all together. Keeping hope !
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @PLR did you see the article that @Sherlock posted?

Here is again:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7179327/faq-i-have-a-manual-account-i-want-to-activate-for-downloading-how-do-i-prevent-duplicates

The main point is to accept them all into the register and delete them there.  And to find what to delete and get them grouped together you use the proper sorting (sort by order entered)
    Signature:
  • PLR
    PLR Member ✭✭✭
    It’s a very long process you suggested even with sort by order because at each transaction I will see a duplicate, so I will still be obliged to delete them one by one. As I was able to come back after the download with EDGE with the Quicken back up which I had on an exterior key, and do a banking datas download correctly with EXPLORER, I will not do anything to try to download again with another browser then Explorer for a while. Thanks for your assistance 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Let me shorten that process description since it includes more details about other things.

Backup data file just in case.

Download an reconcile so that you know anything you get will be new transactions and will not be marked with the R for the reconcile status.

Download/import the new QFX file.
    Make sure none of the transactions are matched.  If there are some matching right click and select to make them all new.
    Select Accept All

Select gear icon in upper right of register -> Sorting options -> By Order entered
    Select the first transaction that does have the R/reconciled status.
    Hold down the shift key and right click the last transaction, select Delete.

Select the Date column header to go back to sorting by date.

It sounds long, but it is really quite fast to do.
    Signature:
  • PLR
    PLR Member ✭✭✭
    For information, I tried today to download in Quicken my RBC banking datas from the website of RBC with Google CHROME as browser and everything went well with my personal account and my business account too. No duplicate or older transactions were downloaded.😄😄
    Issues begun when I installed Microsoft EDGE on my computer as default browser and downloaded manually datas from RBC with Quicken. 
    Even after I had deleted EDGE and continued to use EXPLORER as default browser , I still have some little bugs on and off when I download datas from RBC ...but I don’t receive duplicate or older transactions as new .
    So I will stick with Explorer to download my RBC datas and when it will be turn no more available I will use Google Chrome with the positive results I had today.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well at least you know Chrome isn't going to go away any time soon.   :)
    Signature:
  • PLR
    PLR Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your support 😃
  • PLR
    PLR Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Finally, I deleted EXPLORER to use GOOGLE CHROME as default browser and everything is running well.😃
This discussion has been closed.