Previously sold mutual funds showing up in Portfolio over a year later

Scooterlam
Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
edited June 2020 in Investing (Windows)
Tonight, I noticed I have 2 old mutual funds showing up in my Portfolio view that I previously sold (all shares) in Apr. 2019 and Dec. 2018.  The two funds have very small, negative share balance.  See image.

As mentioned, all shares of these funds were sold and have not appeared in my portfolio view since they were sold, until recently.  File validation revealed nothing unusual and closed lots are not shown.  Also did a few restores from this morning and yesterday but they all exhibited this issue.

Anyone else have this occur?  Could this have surfaced from a recent change introduced in R27.20?  

I'm currently running QW HBR R27.23.

What's the best way to adjust the share amounts to close them out, without introducing placeholders?

Tagged:

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit the last sale of those securities in that account and choose the Sell all shares option. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like the same issue as this one
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877215/tiny-residual-holdings-showing-up-in-portfolio-views-after-r27-20-quicken-update-edited

I have not experimented with this, but it appears that if any of the tax lots is negative, Sell All may not get the balance to zero and you have to combine it with a CoverShort or something.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If Sell All doesn't fix the negative shares what I would do tweak the last transaction for that security to that it comes out with zero shares.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This sounds like the same issue as this one
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877215/tiny-residual-holdings-showing-up-in-portfolio-views-after-r27-20-quicken-update-edited

I have not experimented with this, but it appears that if any of the tax lots is negative, Sell All may not get the balance to zero and you have to combine it with a CoverShort or something.
    I’m sure it is the same issue. I’d sure like to see these scattered discussions consolidated to one spot. 
    Note - I’ve not upped to 27.20+ yet so I am only speculating. 
    My suggestion has always been EDITING the last sale to use Sell all shares. That should prevent small positive and negative fractions.

A new Sell or Remove action can only address the small positive fractions. 
    A new CvrShrt might address a small negative fraction but sort of begs the question. 
    For a trader, it is conceivable to me that the small negative might have been introduced by some sale before the last sale. If so, that earlier sale would need to be identified and edited. 
    I’ll be curious to see how this impacts me because I am pretty rigorous about tracking mutual funds to 3-decimal precision.  Hope I don’t develop too many such fractions. 
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Thanks all.  @q_lurker suggestion to "sell all" on the last transaction fixed the problem.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed this earlier this AM after the update.  Sell all shares took care of it.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same problem after the update: One holding had .000026 shares and another had .0001 share.

A quick way to resolve this if the residual is positive is:
    -- click on the security name in the Portfolio view, bringing up the Security Detail view for that security.

-- double-click on the last Sold transaction.in the Detail view. This takes you directly to the entry dialog for that sale. Note the number of shares sold.

-- Select Sell all shares in this account and note the new number of shares. The difference should be residual you are seeing in the Portfolio view. If so, click on Enter/done and accept the choice to adjust the price if prompted.

These residual holdings probably account for the few pennies' discrepancies I have been seeing in some reports.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I just realized i am having the same problem. I tried the sell all shares but it didn't fix the problem, any other ideas? This is a mess.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may need to play around with additional  shares way out in the decimal places to that last sell transaction until you get it right.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭
    I finally figured out how to use the "sell all shares" to fix the problem. It was tricky but got it work, thanks for the tips.
This discussion has been closed.