Limits on Payees

Having been using Quicken for over 25 years, I have many (old) Payees in my stored list, and have probably reached the Quicken limit somewhere along the line as it hasn't added new payees for me for a while. Whilst I could delete old payees (if I knew who they were), one by one, but I'd rather just up the limit somehow. Is this possible?
Tagged:

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

If you're referring to the Memorized Payee List, please let us know how many memorized payees you have: press Ctrl and select Help > About Quicken

My Quicken file has 4120 memorized payees and have not hit a limit.

I suggest you review the Data Entry and QuickFill preference settings:  select Edit > Preferences...

• Hi, it is Quicken Premier 2020 Version R27.24.
    Memorized Payees: 5553
    In Edit Preferences, it may be "Automatically memorize new payees" or "Add Address Book Quickfill items to Memorized Payee List" which were both unchecked.
    If this is the case then somewhere over the years I guess the default must have been switched from checked to unchecked.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To trim that Memorized Payee List, do EDIT,  Preferences, "Data Entry & Quickfill" and set "Remove Memorized Payees not used in last __ Months".
    The value to be set  is entirely up to you.  Some of the SuperUsers have it set at 12 months, while mine is set at 4 months.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This link suggests that there isn't any limit:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file

But frankly I can't what the use is for a memorized payee that I haven't used in years, it just isn't that hard to add one back in.  I have mine set to trim to 13 months.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    ferrad said:
    Hi, it is Quicken Premier 2020 Version R27.24.
    Memorized Payees: 5553
    In Edit Preferences, it may be "Automatically memorize new payees" or "Add Address Book Quickfill items to Memorized Payee List" which were both unchecked.
    If this is the case then somewhere over the years I guess the default must have been switched from checked to unchecked.

Sometimes when we update Quicken, preferences do reset.

As you can see, some users choose to reduce their Memorized Payee List.  I'm not in that camp.  If it ain't broke...

If you do need to rebuild the Memorized Payee List, press Shift and select Tools > Memorized Payee List
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My recommendation for you is to enable the "Remove memorized payees not used in last [xx] months" and set [xx] to value of 12 or greater, to trim the Memorized Payee List.
    I also recommend you review your register transactions and standardize your Payee Names to get one consistent payee name = "Starbucks" instead of multiple variations like "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU", etc.
    Each of these multiple entries occupies one slot each in the Payee Name selection list.
    Using Edit / Find/Replace to standardize on one distinct Payee Name helps reduce the size of the selection lists and improves performance. Every little bit helps.

This discussion has been closed.