Memorized Payee List Data is Incorrect

re:  Quicken Deluxe 2020 R27.24

My entire Memorized Payee List is not the same as it was before the latest application update.  Every item says "Last Used 06/24/20", and categories are missing.  They're also all unlocked.  Can someone please look into this and tell me what happened?

Best Answers

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for reporting and sharing the details of this issue with the community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue, including the already received "Report a Problem" reports, have been reported to our Development teams for further investigation and resolution.

If you haven't already and would like to add your information to the open ticket, please open Quicken and go to the Help menu > Report a Problem.

In the window that opens, enter Incorrect Memorized Payee List - CTP-998 in the subject line, mark the box for each file listed and click Send to Quicken to when ready.

At this time we do not have an ETA on when a solution will be available, however once one is, it will be included as part of a future release.

Thank you,

Sarah

(
    CTP-998)
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    Thank you all for taking the time to report this issue. This issue is listed as Ongoing and is currently being investigated. There is no ETA available at this time, thank you for your patience throughout this issue.

CTP-998

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    This has been an issue for several releases. You need to turn off sync and fix your memorized payees, it will work fine after that until they fix the issue.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

We appreciate your patience while our teams have been investigating and working on this issue.

I'm happy to announce that a fix for this behavior is included in the currently staged R31.5 release.  

R31.5 has been paused, however if you would like to update before the release is made available for all Users, please download and install the Mondo Patch, available here.

Once installed, please reply here to let us know if you continue to experience an issue with incorrect payee list data.

Thank you,

Sarah

Answers

• Hello @ Karen Vierra 

Thank you for reaching out in the Community today, though I am sorry that you are having this issue with the Memorized Payees. Certainly, you can reach us at SUPPORT so that we can have an in depth look at what may be causing this issue. 

I will also suggest running a Validate and Repair through these steps: FILE > FILE OPERATIONS> VALIDATE AND REPAIR > VALIDATE FILE > OK.

If the issue persists, try restoring a backup of your data file from before the update. 

Thank you

-        Quicken Diana

• Karen Vierra
    Karen Vierra Member ✭✭✭✭
    Done and Done.  Thank You.
  • Mark A - Iowa
    Mark A - Iowa Member ✭✭
    This exact same issue has happened to me over the last few days. Many of my memorized payee entries have just changed out of the blue. In most cases, the check marks on the Lock and Show on Calendar Memorized Payee List have just been unchecked by themselves (for many but certainly not all entries on my list). In addition, many of the split transaction memorized payees have just changed to one of the parts of the split. Yesterday, I spent about an hour rebuilding my list. When I was done, I ran a validate and repair (the log showed no problems). This morning, after I started my PC and launched Quicken, the list was corrupted again... but not all transactions.
  • Karen Vierra
    Karen Vierra Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mark A - Iowa:  Thank you for this information.  I was thinking about rebuilding my list, but now I'm going to wait.  I did submit a Report to Quicken Support, yesterday, by the way.  I recommend you submit a Report, also...and everyone else who's having the same issue.  Thanks again. 
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am also having the same issue.

Since updating to R27.24, various memorized entries have blank categories. I re-memorized the same entries and they look fine but when I perform a One Step Update, that again are blank.

I have submitted a Report a Problem under Quicken Help so hopefully the issue gets resolved in a patch.
  • Mark A - Iowa
    Mark A - Iowa Member ✭✭
    After seeing that there was another report regarding this issue, I just left my Memorized Payee List alone and did not attempt to rebuild it again yesterday. I've run One Step Update once or twice today, and restarted Quicken as well. When I went to check my Memorized Payee List tonight, *more* Payee entries were now corrupted... either their categories were missing, or split category entries were changed to one category only, or check boxes had become unchecked.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings can be found for the detection and processing of transfer transactions in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you are relying on Quicken to "automagically" fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.

You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary (e.g., to get a payee name = "Starbucks" instead of "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" or to assign a category) before you click to accept each transaction.

Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.

Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the Autopilot's process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
     - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
     - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR I fail to see what your post has to do with the problem in this thread.  None of it deals with what might corrupt a Memorized Payee list.

Blaming automatic transactions entry mode for this seems to have zero connection to the problem.

Now if you were talking about syncing the Quicken cloud, that seems a more likely cause.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Karen Vierra
    Karen Vierra Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW I agree with you 100%.  And, @UKR :  I haven't touched my Memorized Payee List since I discovered the problem.  The entire list cites on every item that the date last used was 06/24/2020.  Do we have the date R27.24 was released for download?
  • Karen Vierra
    Karen Vierra Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR FYI...Here's what I'm seeing.

#1 From file dated 06/23/2020 (this is the correct data):

#2 What I'm currently seeing:

Again, I suspect there was an issue with the latest update.  So, can you figure out what happened?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you suspect your MPL is broken,
    • try to repair it using Step (2) of Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems (up to and including restoring your data file from a backup that's not broken)
    • or rebuild it. Either completely, from existing transactions (click Tools, hold down Shift and CTRL, then click Memorized Payee List) or piecemeal, by ensuring that newly downloaded and correctly categorized transactions get re-memorized, replacing bad MPL entries. Manually reviewing and accepting downloaded transactions is better than allowing Quicken to dump downloaded transactions into your registers, sight unseen, warts and all.
    And that's all I'm going to say on this issue.

• Karen Vierra
    Karen Vierra Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR Wow...okay...I won't bug you anymore.  But, thanks for your input, anyway.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Karen Vierra the approximate release date of R27.24 is 6/24, depending on if you got the "limited user release" or when it was released to everyone.

If it is in fact this patch that caused the problem should be able to be proved by using a backup of your data file and rolling back to R27.23, by installing it from here:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Signature:
  • Karen Vierra
    Karen Vierra Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW.  Thanks for this info.  I tried your suggestion, but I'm afraid that didn't work.  Now the MPL shows last date used 07/02.  Bummer.  I will try fixing a few line items manually, and see what happens.  Although, I suspect that might not work given the feedback received from @Mark A - Iowa
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Karen Vierra Just to be clear going back to a past release wasn't to fix your data file.  Once corrupted if validate doesn't fix it, nothing probably will.  The test was to use a data file before the corruption and see if you can verify that it really was that patch that caused the problem by seeing if XX release causes a corrupted Memorized payee list.

As in restore or use a copy of the data file opening it in different release versions and seeing which ones do or don't corrupt the Memorized Payee list.

Also note that R27.23 is pretty new too so you might have go back even farther to find one that doesn't corrupt your data file.

This is all just "troubleshooting" to help locate the problem.

Lot of times when people run into a problem they assume that the problem is the patch update because it happens at about the same time, but it can be caused by other things.  Or it can be cause by a bad install that can't be reproduced.

In problems like this the suggestions always start with validate, but it can't work miracles on a corrupted data file.  The best "solution" for a corrupted data file is to find a backup that doesn't have the problem.
    Signature:
  • billyptx
    billyptx Member
    I'm having the same issues with memorized transactions as above after updating to R27.24 today. I also noticed that at times (in my investment accounts) accepting transactions double so I have to enter the transaction before I accept it. It seems that a lot of errors were induced in this update. The previous update introduced a few issues with memorized transactions, but now they have gone to the nuclear level of issues.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    This issue started with the Quicken update to R27.24!!

I have submitted a Report an Issue under Quicken Help but who knows if anything will come out of that. I guess I can call the Quicken Helpless desk and get no where.
  • Mark A - Iowa
    Mark A - Iowa Member ✭✭
    I'm just confirming that the only issue that I have personally experienced is that my Memorized Payee List entries just change out of the blue, especially with entries that have split categories, and with payees that have multiple memorized transactions. The nature of the changes are: (1) categories saved for a particular entry just change to no category, or (2) split categories change to a single category. In addition, check boxes (specifically, the two on the right side of the list) just become unchecked. I've noticed that the unwanted changes to the list seem to appear after running a One-Step Update. During this time, I've experienced NO problems with entries into any of my registers. BTW, my Quicken updated to R27.28 yesterday, and this issue is still happening.
  • QWMax
    QWMax Windows Beta Beta
    Same here - Obviously thorough testing of releases have slipped. Many SPL (split) memorized payees have changed to a single category (PMT) and all had the Lock check removed.

Very disappointing and laborious to go back and fix!!!!
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Any update on this issue? Does anyone know if the next release will resolve this issue?

Thanks
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    This was a "corrupting" event from the update.  It's looks like the update spawned a  rebuild of the MPL.  I ended up deleting my MPL and then doing a Ctrl Shift rebuild.  Reviewed the list and deleted a few I did not need.  It seems to be working normally now.

Side note-  I also found Preferences were reset.  I had to review each of them and change them back to my desired settings. Renaming rules not working tipped me off.
  • Karen Vierra
    Karen Vierra Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @markus1957 Can you explain how you did Ctrl Shift rebuild, please?  OOPS!  I found it...
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    This was a "corrupting" event from the update.  It's looks like the update spawned a  rebuild of the MPL.  I ended up deleting my MPL and then doing a Ctrl Shift rebuild.  Reviewed the list and deleted a few I did not need.  It seems to be working normally now.

Side note-  I also found Preferences were reset.  I had to review each of them and change them back to my desired settings. Renaming rules not working tipped me off.
    Did the same thing you suggested and it all look good UNTIL on performed a One-Step Update. Now again I have random items mission on random memorized transactions.
  • snyderro
    snyderro Member
    I have the same issue. Had a number of memorized transactions that made tracking things in Quicken very easy. Now most of my split transactions have lost all their details. Many others are just missing. Tried doing the validate but it doesn't look like it helped, so I guess I'll have to recreate them. Will take me me several hours probably to get it back to where it was. That's VERY frustrating.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    snyderro said:
    I have the same issue. Had a number of memorized transactions that made tracking things in Quicken very easy. Now most of my split transactions have lost all their details. Many others are just missing. Tried doing the validate but it doesn't look like it helped, so I guess I'll have to recreate them. Will take me me several hours probably to get it back to where it was. That's VERY frustrating.
    I did the same thing but as soon as I ran a One-Step Update they all reverted back to the same issue (missing categories, split transactions losing details).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jfclague said:
    snyderro said:
    I did the same thing but as soon as I ran a One-Step Update they all reverted back to the same issue (missing categories, split transactions losing details).
    If you are syncing to the cloud, I suggest you turn that off, at least long enough to see if that is what is corrupting your memorized payees.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. If that is what was corrupting you memorized payees (as in it doesn't do it with cloud sync off) and you still want to sync to cloud I suggest that you reset your cloud data right after you turn it on, and before you do another sync.
    Signature:
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    P.S. If that is what was corrupting you memorized payees (as in it doesn't do it with cloud sync off) and you still want to sync to cloud I suggest that you reset your cloud data right after you turn it on, and before you do another sync.
    Tried that still doesn't work. It is only a random memorized payees and started with the last update (and that is the problem!!).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jfclague If you believe that the patch is the problem you can test it by going back to an older version by installing the Mondo patch from here:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

And if confirmed I would suggest reporting it as a problem here:
    Help -> Report a problem 

And either case contacting Quicken support here:
    Contact Quicken Support
    Signature:
  • Karen Vierra
    Karen Vierra Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW Yes, I did both way back when I discovered the issue.  As of today, it's still not being addressed.
This discussion has been closed.