Add "Amount Invested" Column to Portfolio View [4 Merged]

Steve29
Steve29 Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investments
Quicken 2007 Mac and all versions of Quicken PC offer this feature. It allows you to figure out how much money you've actually made on an investment that throws off a lot of dividends (such as a bond fund). We can currently only show "Cost Basis" which isn't the same thing. Better for taxes, but not nearly as useful when evaluating an investment. Also, comparing Amount Invested with Cost Basis lets you to see how much your investment is being taxed -- that is, how 'tax efficient' it is. 

Bottom line -- this is a standard feature that's been in some versions of the product forever. Mac users should be offered the same information for investments as PC users.
11 votes

Planned · Last Updated

QMAC-15562

Comments

• Joe Desch
    Joe Desch Member
    Quicken 2007 Mac and all versions of Quicken PC offer this feature. It allows you to figure out how much money you've actually made on an investment that throws off a lot of dividends (such as a bond fund). We can currently only show "Cost Basis" which isn't the same thing. Better for taxes, but not nearly as useful when evaluating an investment. Also, comparing Amount Invested with Cost Basis lets you to see how much your investment is being taxed -- that is, how 'tax efficient' it is.

Bottom line -- this is a standard feature that's been in some versions of the product forever. Mac users should be offered the same information for investments as PC users
  • Shermanart
    Shermanart Member
    "Amount Invested" report needs to be added to MAC 2020
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Shermanart,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your request.

Being that this is not currently an existing feature, I went ahead and changed your post to an idea post. Our development team frequently uses our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea.

Be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Anja
    When I click to vote above, I get an error  "Category is not configured for ideation."  Please reply back when it is fixed.  I'd like to have this ability too.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    @RIck thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Try now, I believe it's fixed. :)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    It's fixed and I voted.   Thanks

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    While it may not be exactly what you're looking for, you can add Cost Basis to the portfolio view.
  • Steve29
    Steve29 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023

Amount Invested is not the same as Cost Basis. Quicken Windows and Quicken 2007 offered this column. Quicken Mac should, too.

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@Steve29 And note that this Idea thread is marked as "Planned" by the developers, which means it is in their plans for implementation. (Of course, we never know when.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993