I have 3 Visa Card Accounts at Chase Bank

I have 3 Visa cards with separate account numbers at Chase Bank. When I try to add the accounts for Bill Manager, the software does not add them correctly. The first account I add appears to show up correctly on the Bills and Income screen. When I try to add the second or third account they do not show up on the Bills and Income screen. Each of the 3 accounts is for a different entitlement program, so I don't have the option of cancelling or combining the accounts. If I cancel one, then my accrued points for that program will expire. With Quicken Bill Pay, I had all 3 accounts added under the account type followed by Chase Visa (for example, United Chase Visa). The update function would call Chase once, but update all 3 accounts. Can someone please advise me on how to deal with this problem?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the 3 cards associated with 3 different accounts?
    For example, my wife and I both have Mastercards, with another bank, and those cards have separate account numbers ... but it's really only one account.  We get one monthly bill that shows all of the transactions for both cards (subtotaled by card) and we pay a single bill.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    I have 3 separate accounts/cards with different account numbers and I get 3 separate bills each month.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Richard174,

From your post, it seems like there are 2 different issues, but I just want to make sure.  You reference "Quicken Bill Pay" but you also reference "the update function".
    Are you having difficulties adding the 3 different Chase Visa cards for downloading into Quicken. or for making  payments on the cards, or for both?  If both - how do you make payments on these cards - through Qicken Bill Manager (the replacement for Quicken Bill pay) or through some other method?

Let me know and we'll move forward.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Gordon Everest
    Gordon Everest Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I have 4 different credit card accounts at Chase and they are kept separate in Quicken.  No problem paying them separately, downloading transactions, having them scheduled for different payment dates...  We need more information about the problem you are having.  When I initially set them up for Quick Pay, I only had to go to Chase once and it picked up all my accounts.
    Quicken user since 1991 (first Windows 3.2 version), Beta tester, accounting partner.
  • BobC
    BobC Member ✭✭✭✭

When I first tried to set up Quicken Bill Manager, (QBM), in early March, I had almost exactly the same problem.  3 Chase credit card accounts - 2 Visa and 1 Master Card.  Sadly, I don't recall exactly how I overcame the issue, but after fussing with it for a few days, I had the 3 accounts differentiated and sort of functional in QBM.  However, there were so many other issues with QBM that I gave up, removed all of my bills from QBM, and went back to using Quicken Bill Pay.  I had to re-enter the three cards in Bill & Income Reminders reminders, since linking them in Bill Manager causes them to disappear when you remove them from Bill Manager, but that was a small inconvenience to get to a much more functional, for me, bill payment system.

Recognizing that Quicken Bill Pay was going away, I started to transition to my bank bill pay system, as you have seen in my other post on that subject.  Very happy, at this point, that I made that transition.

Good luck,
    BobC

Thanks,
    BobC

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Subscription, Build 27.1.52.28,
    Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS build 22621.2283 Exp 1000.22662.1000.0

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Frankx, I can't get the 3 credit card accounts entered correctly. They don't appear to become linked to Chase. The first card I enter becomes a Chase icon so I assume it is linked. If I enter the second or third account, they come up as manual bills. I am paying them now through Quicken Bill Pay up until now.
    BobC, it appears that next month I am screwed if I can't get this resolved. From your other post, I guess I can use my Wells Fargo bill pay through the register to pay these accounts if I can't get Bill Manager straightened out for next month.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Richard174,

It doesn't make sense that others (see above) have been able to add multiple credit card accounts with Chase to Bill Manager but you can't.  For other users, it seems like all their accounts at a financial institution (like Chase) or at other vendors appear during the setup process.  That apparently didn't happen for your accounts. Is it possible that there are variations in the names on the card or accounts (spelling, middle initials, etc.?), or in other card information (like different addresses?) that could cause them not to show up? When you access the accounts online, do you go to the same website, or different sites? Do you use the same usernames or different ones?

The only other thing that I can think might cause them to "come up as manual bills" might be if you have perhaps reached your monthly limit under the program of 12 Bill Pays, but I suspect that is not the case.

Sorry I can't provide more help.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Frankx, you may have provided me the information I needed. I have not tried to use Bill Manager to download my transactions. I have been focusing on trying to enter the accounts. Very possibly, if I download with Bill Manager with the one Chase account that was accepted, I may get transactions for all 3 accounts. I will try that and let you know. At this point I think I am still using Bill Pay to download transactions
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This issue sounds somewhat similar to the Chase OL-301 errors and bill pay issues from a couple of weeks ago:  Bill Pay scheduling issues and not being able to add Chase accounts but for people who weren't using bill pay and already had accounts set up they could still download transactions.
    After Chase fixed the issues on their end it required users to update the Financial Institution Branding and Profile in Quicken.  You might want to try doing this to see if it resolves the issue:
    1. In Quicken, select the Tools menu, then choose Online Center.
    2. Click the Financial Institution dropdown arrow and select the financial institution.
    3. Press CTRL+Shift while selecting Contact Info.
    4. Select one of the accounts associated with the bank from the dropdown list
    5. Select Financial Institution Branding and Profile from the list and click Refresh.
    6. Click the Update/Send button. 
    7. Attempt your online session again.
    Note:  Whether or not this resolves your issue, if you use Bill Pay with Chase you should log into your online account at Chase to make sure you do not have duplicate Bill Pays scheduled.  If you do, you will need to delete them there to avoid getting some very unpleasant surprises.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    I've been checking the Chase site regularly and everything looks OK. I will be gone for the next 4 days and will probably try this Wells Fargo Bill Pay when I have more bills due and I return.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Richard174,

Just a quick note. Not sure if you are aware, and it may not be an issue for you anyway, but you should know that Wells Fargo, unlike Chase, PNC and other banks, charges a monthly fee to use their bill pay function.

Have a great weekend!

Frankx

• BobC
    BobC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all:

Good point, Frankx.  And so does Chase, for business checking accounts.  Chase is free if you have only a personal checking account as your payment source.

Thanks for adding that detail, which is very important to some.
    BobC

Thanks,
    BobC

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Frankx and BobC, my account balances are high enough that I meet the requirements for free services. Thanks for voicing your concerns.
  • Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    I have one additional question on this issue. As I stated, I have 3 Chase Visa accounts with different account numbers. Should I have one link in Bill Manager for updating the 3 accounts or should I have one link for each Chase Visa account? Right now I have a linked account for Chase showing the Chase logo and I have an entry for each of my 3 Visa accounts showing the default Quicken blue and white icon. I think I need the 3 entries for making credit card payments, but I don't know what I need or how to download credit card transactions. Please advise. Thanks.
  • Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Can anyone help me with this? I currently have one Chase entry with a Chase icon and 3 Chase entries with individual account numbers with blue quicken icons for the 3 Chase accounts. What entries do I need to download transactions and what do I need to send payments?
  • BobC
    BobC Member ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for this post.  It made me go back and look at what was left of my Bill Manager set up.  There is a lot more under the "Bills & Income", "Bills" display than I recall.  This has made me more apprehensive, but at least aware, of the potential danger at the upcoming 8/31/2020 change.  At least aware is better than not aware.

Although my information is dated, as noted in my earlier posts to this thread, and my other referenced posts, I do recall that the set up I had, had three distinct entries in Bill Manager, for the 3 distinct Chase credit cards.  I also had two distinct entries for two Citi credit cards, and two distinct entries for two health insurance accounts, for my wife and I, from the same provider/biller.  For the Chase cards, all three were "sent" to "Cardmember Services".  Two were Visa cards and one was a Master Card.  All were EFTs and all took at least 2 day to process, maybe one or two were a bit longer.  As noted in my earlier posts, it took me a while to get the 3 listed separately, with the correct account numbers and nicknames properly associated with each other.  Please note that the "bill due dates" for each account/card from Chase, were all the same.  Likewise from Citibank.  Likewise from the insurance provider.  So, in theory I could pay all my bills due to Chase on one day, same for Citibank, (but a different day), same for the insurance provider.

For the Citi cards, one was an AT&T Universal Card Master Card, and was "sent" to "AT&T Universal Card", the other was a Citi Cards Costco Visa Card sent to Citi Cards.  For the insurance provider, both were sent to the same name and address, the only difference was the account numbers.  Both were the same type/class of insurance.

I am not sure it ever fully worked that way, or even if it did, that it is still working that way, because I didn't keep it going long enough to see more than one incomplete billing cycle for each card/account.  Further, I don't get invoices or statements on some of the cards if there are no charges or payments on them in a given month.  So I didn't see even one full billing cycle with charges or payments for each card/account.  However, I did find, when I went back to look at them this morning, as I am writing this note, that all have been updated in the "Bills & Income" view, from what I saw in February and March. 

Some show the currently correct date for the "next payment due", some do not.
    a)  There are NO entries in the "Bills & Income" Heading, when filtered by the drop down menu to show "Online bills", and NO entries when filtered by the drop down menu to show "Check Pay payees", as expected, since I am not using Bill Manager for any bills.
    b)  However, when not filtered or filtered by the drop down menu to show "All bills", 66 of the 75 annual or more frequent bills in my "Tools - Manage Bill and Income Reminders" show up in the "Bills & Income" Heading under the "Bills" tab, with much of the details provided in the "Tools - Manage Bill and Income Reminders".  I have not yet analyzed why the difference, but it appears the "Bills & Income" "Bills" table is updated or filled in based on actual transactions that are occurring.  I hope this is not an indication that the traditional means of updating upcoming bills and payment information, namely via the menu selection "Tools - Manage Bill & Income Reminders", taking you to that table, where you can select to edit an entry's next use or the next and all future uses, is going away. 

This rest of this post is really going back to issues I didn't fully document or post when I first considered potential failures that might occur on 8/31/2020, and when I responded to your initial question/post in this thread.  They are recollections of some of the issues that I identified at the time, and are a part of the reason I gave up with Bill Manager. 

Even when my billers for the Chase, Citi, and the health insurance accounts were set up as "Online Bills" and for Quick Pay payments, as described above, one or two of the cards/accounts provided an up to date .pdf copy of the statement currently due, while the other card or cards for the same Financial Institution did not.  Inconsistency with how two different statements from the same company were handled was just an indication of issues associated with Bill Manager.  Maybe now Quicken's developers have "fixed" all of those issues, and it all works without those concerns.  But other issues, all of which were identified in the early days of Bill Manager, have not been address anywhere that I have seen.  For example, if I knew I was going to have several charges coming up in the next 20, or even 75 days, after a statement was issued, but before the applicable payment was or would be due, and I wanted to cover those with the one or two upcoming payments, I couldn't do that.  For me, that was a real problem.  There were a number of similar issues, mostly revolving around lack of flexibility - to do bill payments when I wanted, for both those set up as Quick Pay payees, and any other US individual or company, and so on.  That was in March and April.  There are many details that have not yet been worked out, as some of the various new and ongoing threads on the subject attest.  And, yes, a lot the threads are more whining, (many still very legitimate in my opinion), but as some have said, it is what it is, so get on with it.

As noted above, much of my information above is old, February or March of 2020, information - I don't know exactly how Bill Manager works with these multiple accounts from one institution now, as I have removed all of the Online bills and Check Pay payees, from my "Bills & Income" - "Bills View".  So both the answer to your question and to other issues may be different at present.  Time will tell.

I wish you success with your current direction,

Thanks,
    BobC

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    It's a real bummer for the edit transaction and edit for all future transactions goes away. I am very much like you in that I want to send payments when I want them sent, not when Quicken wants to send them. Right now, I am sending out my scheduled payments 8 to 10 days early until I know that the Quicken software is reliable for meeting deadlines. It took 12 days for one of my Check Pay transactions to arrive at the destination, so I am not willing to trust the delivery date of EFTs at this time.

I assume I can rely on the 3 Chase entries for the specific account numbers for updating Chase transactions and payments. I don't need the individual Chase entry I have that is not linked to a specific account. My confusion was because I always had the 3 chase accounts in Bill Pay, but there was one entry in the update function that downloaded all 3 accounts. I guess Bill Manger will update each of the 3 Chase accounts individually.

Thanks for your help. I am currently using my Wells Fargo Bill Pay with Quicken Bill Manager. That configuration may not survive after August 31st and I may have to choose one or the other. I will probably fall back on Wells Fargo Bill Pay if Bill Manager doesn't work correctly after the 31st. Thanks again.
  • Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    I have to keep all 3 Chase entries in Bill Manager. Quicken Bill Pay used one entry in it's download instructions to download all 3 Chase accounts, but Bill Manager requires individual entries for all 3 Chase accounts to download properly. This question is resolved.
This discussion has been closed.