I have never run Year End.

tbf47
tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
Windows... R28.16 build 27.28.16
I have transactional data going back 20 years. I have never executed a year end file data archive. I am diligent about daily backups. I would like to hear some comments about this. Not had any problems. Just wondering what some in the community think about this. Thanks

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The only time I have ever run Year End Copy is to test it because some people claim (usually wrong because they don't understand how it works) that it doesn't work.

I have never used it for my personal data file, and I would venture to say none of the Super Users that answer questions on here use it either.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am also a user with 26 years of data! that year end function was quite valuable many years ago when hard drives were much smaller and processors were much slower.  Up until 2000, I would create a year end file each year so that the file would run quicker in quicken and i had enough room on my harddrive (probably more the former than the latter as i recall).   With today's computer power and the size of hard drives, I don't see that the function has value anymore.  My quicken file is 250mg and my processor is powerful enough that it simply is not an issue.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not doing the Year End Copy is one of the smartest things you have done in Quicken.  I look at my data file going back to 1996 as a diary of things that have happened and several times a year end up searching for when I bought or donated something.
    Yes, I wrote the YEC FAQ, but that was to document the ins and outs of it when users complained that it did not work as expected.  I only run YEC for testing like Chris_QPW.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have data going back to 1991 in my file.  Would not consider using YEC, since I occasionally want to look up an old record from a not clearly recognized year or time frame.  Never have had a problem associated with my complete file - now at 166 MB. 

FWIW:  I am not sure if this is the post @splasher referred to.  It dates back to 2012, but I suspect the principles expressed are still applicable.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7149937/faq-year-end-copy
This discussion has been closed.