Quicken completely changes the name of payee for single time purchases?

I don't understand why quicken changes the name of payee for purchases. It is actually very unintelligent. Why would this be happening I have never bought anything from the examples below so it shouldn't have any rules. I wish quicken would use what the name the bank shows. It's very annoying to change multiple payees when downloading. Can I remove all quicken logic and only take what the bank gives. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Examples:
I bought state fair goods -> quicken changes the name to state farm (Mind you I have never bought anything ever from state farm)
I bought something from Heatonist -> Sheraton (I haven't found anything from them.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Hello @quicuser2101,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

You can try disabling the feature by following the steps below.
    1. Go to Quicken
    2. Preferences...
    3. Connected Services
    4. Uncheck the box for Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You could try to go to Preferences > Connected Services, and uncheck the box for "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories." Quicken passes names through a back-end service that tries to "improve" Payee names, such as changing "Home Depot Store #12345" to "Home Depot". Sometimes that service applies rules developed from millions of transactions and makes things worse instead of better. So you can turn it off and see if that works better for you. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    On a related issue, Quicken is still changing a single payee name that is in all caps to only the first letter being capitalized (CVS to Cvs, USPS to Usps, etc.). I have "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checked and I don't want to uncheck it, but I also have CVS listed as a Payee on the "Payees & Rules" tab, so it shouldn't be changing it. This happens only with payees that are in all caps.

This started happening in March with v 5.15.1. I submitted it on April 23 as a bug. @John_in_NC also submitted it as a bug, since he was having the same issue with a different payee.
This discussion has been closed.