Apple Stock Split

Still not registering the correct number of shares

Answers

• dalehalley
    dalehalley Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I updated my investment accounts this morning and the quotes for Apple Inc. alternate between the correct price and what appears to be the split-adjusted price over the past year. Nothing but zeroes beyond 9/16/2019.
  • qmac2020
    qmac2020 Member
    Same. Completely obliterates the historical view of my investment accounts.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar problem on the Windows side though the damage seems to be limited to the past week:

• qmac2020
    qmac2020 Member
    It's going back to Jan 2020 for me.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure - but someone suggested that things might have been ok up until Friday, when the Friday quote was downloaded AND the bogus quotes for the week were also downloaded and overlaid any existing quotes - else we probably would have seen postings if the quotes were bad at the beginning of the week.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• qmac2020
    qmac2020 Member
    Fixed now with online update. There were two days in July that had incorrect values that I had to correct, but I'm not sure if that's an error with the correction or my local app.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices downloaded for 8/24, 8/25, 8/26, and 8/27 were all wrong - they reflected post-split prices.  I suggest that you manually change those prices.  And hopefully, starting today, the effective date, the prices will be correct.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Tom Young
    They are still getting it wrong (AM OSU 8/31)

• HoodLenard
    HoodLenard Member
    edited August 2020
    Apple stock is trading after a split today. Quicken is not adjusting to it, instead its showing a loss based on the current price to the unspilt price....
  • 4est
    4est Member
    I am also puzzled by this. I entered the transaction as a 3 for 1 stock split however, Quicken has not done anything with it. Quicken just thinks that my stock account is down by thousands of dollars today.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this stock split transaction with the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

If you haven't already, please see the steps available here, which should help to resolve the incorrect values.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • accounts
    accounts Member
    I'm not seeing how to enter this manually. There's no 'stock split' to choose from the transaction types list. Would appreciate any help (Mac subscription)
  • sscminc
    sscminc Member ✭✭
    OK, so I see the other discussions about the Apple stock split and Sarah's explanation about how to fix the error in values, but none of that is working. Quicken is taking the reduction in stock price (roughly -$370) and multiplying it by the increased number of shares. So, for example, if I initially had 25 shares, it is multiplying the -$370 decrease due to the 4:1 split times the now 100 shares, showing a "Day's Gain/Loss" of minus $37,000 (-$370 x 100). Instead, it should be taking the new share price ~$129 x 100 and the "Day's Gain/Loss" in share price would be reflected accurately. Any solutions? I'm running Quicken on a Mac if that matters.
  • edward moore
    edward moore Member ✭✭
    Yea, exactly as you explained. Also my program is not changing the number of shares x 4. I have also changed the date but this did not work either . Major program error for sure. Maybe Quicken will figure it out. Good luck.
  • sscminc
    sscminc Member ✭✭
    Right, Edward--shouldn't be this difficult. Stock splits are pretty basic.
  • qmac2020
    qmac2020 Member
    I did see last weeks quotes as incorrect and corrected them manually.
    On the Mac app, it's not handing the Day Gail/Loss properly and shows today's loss as 3x the value of my AAPL holdings.
    Hopefully this will just resolve itself tomorrow, but it's disappointing.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @accounts There is a Stock Split transaction type on the menu:

Are you not seeing this when you click on the Type dropdown menu in your investment account? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    @Quicken Sarah  or others familiar with Quicken's handling of stock splits… Can you explain what is supposed to happen to the price history after entering a stock split?

In my case, I see this in my recent Apple history after having entered the 4 for 1 split dated last Friday, 8/28:

• Today's price is correct, but last week it shows a split-adjusted opening price and a non split-adjusted closing price. the opening prices aren't consequential to me, but it seems odd.
    • For the prior week, the opening price values are all zeros, and the closing price is not split-adjusted.
    • When I go back further in time, I see closing prices which are not split-adjusted back to July 31 -- and then prices before that appear to be split-adjusted.
    • On month-end dates, where I manually entered transactions and a price, there is no adjustment for the split (see 6/30 below):

The result of these inconsistencies is this nonsensical-looking graph of performance for the account which contains my Apple stock:

Should I be going back and manually adjusting (dividing the stock price by 4) each month-end date that was not changed by Quicken after the stock split transaction was entered? Will the Quicken quote providers fix this and send better data if I wait a day or two? I'm just confused by what I'm seeing and what I should do.
  • HoodLenard
    HoodLenard Member
    I never able to get my account (Charles Schwab) into Quicken (MAC), I manually put the stock symbol in and after the split (Apple Inc) the values act like the stock price the the unspilt price. Well I guess someday it will work. Maybe I will be even able to get the Charles Schwab account in Quicken. Hate it when I can not what I want with my data.....
  • DCK
    DCK Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem.
  • Henryth
    Henryth Member ✭✭
    Same problem here!! The old Quicken program (2007) handled the last split without any problems.
  • rdrich
    rdrich Member ✭✭
    > @qmac2020 said:
    > I did see last weeks quotes as incorrect and corrected them manually.
    > On the Mac app, it's not handing the Day Gail/Loss properly and shows today's loss as 3x the value of my AAPL holdings.

Same as @qmac2020 said: Day Gain/Loss is WAY off. Total of Market Value column is correct.
  • Tom Young
    There's no adjustment to pre-split prices, they are left as is.  The program adjusts things as need for presentation in reports, graphs, etc.  You can see that here in an earlier Apple split:

• jacobs
    @Tom Young Thanks. That's what I thought should be the case. But then how do we explain that some of the recent values, as shown in the screenshots I posted above, do seem reflect split-adjusted pricing? Is it just Quicken's quote provider is messed up? And does this sort of thing get corrected, or do we have to sift through the mess that's been created and re-enter prices for years of history.

(If only I had had enough conviction to buy more than my small amount of Apple stock back in the dark days when Apple's future was questionable, I would be on my private island now and paying some accountant to sort this out for me!)
  • jbajor
    jbajor Member ✭✭
    I created a stock split transaction however the # of shares held is not adjusting by 4x. Is there something else I need to do?
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    what did you type as the number of old shares and the number of new shares? what date did you use? 
  • jbajor
    jbajor Member ✭✭
    I did not have any option to change # of shares when adding the transaction. It only asked for the split ratio
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
     I am asking what did you use for the ratio - what number did you use for old shares (1) and new shares (4) and what date did you use? suggest rechecking the transaction.  I am using Windows deluxe and it works fine.  
  • jbajor
    jbajor Member ✭✭
    sorry, 4:1
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can only help if you specifically answer my specific questions.

1) what number did you use for the number of old shares
    2) what number did you use for the number of new shares
    3) what date did you use
    4) what stock investment did you use? 

DO NOT USE YOUR MEMORY.  GO TO THE TRANSACTION REGISTER AND SEE WHAT YOU DID. 
This discussion has been closed.