Investing Dashboard Doesn't Recognize Money Market Account

I like the new Investing Dashboard BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM: I include a money market account held by a credit union in my group of investments -- the new dashboard does NOT pick up the value of this account when summarizing the value of my investments. Can this be fixed?

Best Answers

• jpbmass
    jpbmass Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 Answer ✓
    I posted this as an improvement titled "Add ability to Include bank-held Money Market investments To Dashboard View" Thanks for all your help
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7880555/add-ability-to-include-bank-held-money-market-investments-to-dashboard-view#latest

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dashboard captures data from accounts set up as investment accounts in Quicken tracking securities.  It doesn't include assets from other types of accounts. 
    Is your money market account set up as an investment account or as a bank account? 
    In the world of finance, bank accounts are a separate entity from investment accounts and Quicken is set up to align with finance standards.  Bank accounts assets, however, can be captured in Net Worth reports and graphs.  I suppose you could set up a manual investment account in Quicken for it and then it could be included in the Dashboard but if you do OSU downloads from your CU you probably would not be able to set up this investment account for download.
    But if your money market account is an investment account then it should be able to be included in the Dashboard.  Check to make sure that "All accounts" and "All securities" are selected at the top left corner of the dashboard.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• jpbmass
    jpbmass Member ✭✭✭
    I do have my money market account set up as an investment account, I do get successful OSU downloads and I do have "all accounts" and "all securities" selected. However, since there is no stock ticker symbol associated with the account, the dashboard does not pick it up. Seem's like this is an error in implementation? BTY, the "portfolio view" does show the MM account as an investment and the the MM funds do show up correctly in the "Investing Total" and in the "asset allocation" displays.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a difference between a banking account where you have gone to the account details and set the account intent to "Investing" and an actual investing account. Only actual investing accounts can be included in the Investing Dashboard.

Assuming it is really an investing account, is the money market fund fund listed as a security in that account, or is the money market balance part of the cash balance of the account?

If you click on the Accounts and Securities dropdowns on the Dashboard then select Custom, is the account that holds the money market fund and the money market fund itself listed?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    As @Jim_Harman suggested, check to make sure the Account and the MMF under Custom are checked but also make sure that under Custom for Securities, make sure the box for "No Security (includes cash)" is checked.  I suspect that it is this latter one that might be causing the issue since the MMF has no ticker and/or since MMFs often have an Asset Allocation of mostly or all "Cash".

• jpbmass
    jpbmass Member ✭✭✭
    I've done all of the above, no joy. The account shows up in the dashboard's drop down account list but there is no data for it. The "No Security (includes cash)" box is checked.
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, when you open the account's register, is there a money market fund that holds the money, or is the money in account's cash balance?

If it is in the cash balance, the money should be included in -Cash- at the bottom of the dashboard's Total Value list.

If it is in a money market fund, is that fund included in the dashboard's list of securities, and is it selected? If the fund is not in the Dashboard's list of securities, go to  Tools > Security list, click on Show hidden securities, and make sure the fund is not marked as Hidden
  • jpbmass
    jpbmass Member ✭✭✭
    The Money Market account is not a fund, it is held as cash in a credit union. Because it is held in a bank/credit-union the Dashboard function does not consider it to be an investment, even though I have identified it as such and it is grouped with with other investments in the Portfolio View (and shows up as cash in the "Allocations" view).
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, up to now you have been implying that it is a real investment account. Because it is actually a banking account with the account intent set to Investing, Quicken shows the account in the Dashboard's dropdown list but does not currently include the money in the Investing Dashboard.

I would call this a bug. It should either not show the account in the list or include its balance in the total.

Unless Quicken fixes this, the only way to have this money be included in the Dashboard would be to put the money in a real investing account, but then you will not be able to download transactions.
  • jpbmass
    jpbmass Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Jim. I submit that a bank's MM account is a "real investment account".
    It consists of cash, not securities, but I consider it just as valid an investment as if I had put the funds in a Brokerage MM fund. I agree that this appears to be a bug which should be fixed.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2020
    (Deleted comment.  All questions were previously answered.)

• jpbmass
    jpbmass Member ✭✭✭
    Boatnmaniac, thanks for your help. My MM investment account is held as cash in a credit union and is not a named security -- is does display properly in the portfolio and allocation views, but not in the dashboard view. I think this is probably a bug??
  • jpbmass
    jpbmass Member ✭✭✭
    New Info: In the portfolio view, my MM account Always shows up (including its current value) in the "Accounts" panel on the left side of the display. It also shows up in the detailed list on the right side, but values are all set to zero Unless i check the "No Security (includes cash)" item. Unfortunately, checking this box has no effect in the Dashboard view.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Funds with symbols ending in "XX" are treated inconsistently by financial institutions when packaging transaction and holdings downloads.  Vanguard gets it right but many do not.  If you FI does not report them properly in the holdings download then Quicken will not display them properly.
  • Jim_Harman
    @markus1957, this is a different problem.

The OP has a banking account where he has set the Account Intent to Investment in the Account Details > Display options tab. This moves the account to the Investing section in the Account bar and it is included in the Portfolio views with its balance recorded as Cash. The account and its balance are also included in the Investing > Portfolio Value report.

The account is also included in the Accounts dropdown on the Investing Dashboard but there is apparently no way to get its balance to be included in the Dashboard's Total Value.

• jpbmass
    jpbmass Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020 Answer ✓
    I posted this as an improvement titled "Add ability to Include bank-held Money Market investments To Dashboard View" Thanks for all your help
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7880555/add-ability-to-include-bank-held-money-market-investments-to-dashboard-view#latest
  • Boatnmaniac
    jpbmass said:
    Thanks for posting it.  I voted for it (you've got 3 votes for it already) and replied to it with some additional details.

• fun1000000
    fun1000000 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I feel your pain...I've been dealing with this issue for years.
    I also voted for it