stopped asking me if I wanted to categorize all like items

I am working on getting my business transactions into Quicken.
Going month by month of 2019, with what I am accepting.
Previously, it was asking me something like, if I wanted to include all transactions named this or from this company, to be categorized same as transaction I had just categorized.
Then I could say 'yes' or 'no'
I am not yet sure system working well enough to have everything categorized automatically, but I liked that it was asking for a month's transactions that were all to same store/company.
But now it's not asking that anymore
Assume I unknowingly turned something on or off?
thanks in advance for help

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited September 2020
    Hello @pdxmaven,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

The setting to turn this prompt on and off can be found through preferences.
    1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Data entry and QuickFill (see illustration)

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any additional questions!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• pdxmaven
    pdxmaven Member ✭✭
    I went in and set it up exactly as you have it above, in the red box. I categorized a frequently used merchant and it is still not asking me if I want to use the same category for all other accepted transactions.
  • Thank you for trying that and checking back! 

Let's try this-- please follow the steps below.
    1. Go to the Edit 
    2. Preferences
    3. Alerts & Messages 
    4. Click on Reset Quicken Warnings
    5. Click OK

From there, please refer back to the previous steps I provided and double-check and make sure the setting for Offer to update past transactions... remain checked. After that, close and reopen Quicken and see if the issue still persists.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• pdxmaven
    pdxmaven Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I did everything as you indicated below and then going back and double checking everything in original settings and still not working
    I did double check that it was working neither for FUTURE transactions that have already been accepted (ie ones that are AHEAD in time of the date that I am categorizing) and PRIOR transactions (ie ones that are back in time from the date I am categorizing), though it is transactions that are accepted but not yet categorized and ahead by date of the date I am categorizing that was working before and is now not working
    Please ADVISE!
    Susan

• pdxmaven
    pdxmaven Member ✭✭
    PS: Now I see that Quicken has also "decided" that everything I purchase at Whole Foods is Groceries. Actually, when I am in my business account, the purchase there is more often than not a newspaper, which I have previously entered under a line item on my Schedule C. When I went in to change it, Quicken asked me if I wanted to "update all categories for this payer?" In this case, I don't want to change anything either in the past, or going forward, as I need to categorize it, transaction by transaction. However, related to my prior question, despite many efforts of mine and following your suggestions, I still cannot get Quicken to categorize all the charges to my parking lot a "Parking" expense under my Schedule C
  • pdxmaven
    pdxmaven Member ✭✭
    PS: I think maybe where this categorizing happens is in (or from) the payee column? Maybe I set a rule?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    pdxmaven said:
     I still cannot get Quicken to categorize all the charges to my parking lot a "Parking" expense under my Schedule C
    Are you making these changes in a report?

The options above to offer the changes are only for making changes in the register.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited September 2020
    Thank you for providing additional information and trying the steps.

pdxmaven said:
    PS: I think maybe where this categorizing happens is in (or from) the payee column? Maybe I set a rule?
    It is possible that this may be caused by a saved category rule or saved rules with one payee and multiple category options causing it to just default to one or not assigning any at all.

You can check for this by following the steps below--
    1. Go to Tools
    2. Memorized Payee List
    3. Find the payee(s) that you're experiencing issues with
    4. Check if the payee has more than 1 line with different categories saved
    (See example below-- payee name, "Albertsons", with 5 lines of saved categories)

If so, delete each line with an undesired category and keep the line that has the desired category saved.

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.