"Update now" pop-up window will not always appear - sporadic issue

BK
BK Member ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed a strange sporadic behavior since the past couple of patch releases when invoking "Update now" from an account's gear icon and wonder if others have seen it.  The typical expected behavior is that when you click "Update now" from the gear icon of a single account,

a pop-up window appears with the name of the institution as in the screenshot below, and then you invoke "Update".

However, there are times that absolutely nothing pops up - zero - to provide any indication of what's happening.  And I invoke it again and again and still nothing.  This absence of the pop-up window is the strange behavior I am referring to and wonder if others have noticed it.

Does not matter if it is DC or EWC, bank or CC or investment, and I have not found a specific reproduceable pattern, but typically after an all-account OSU.  Then I close and reopen the program and everything works normal and next time problematic again. I did a "super-duper clean" uninstall and reinstall including removing folders and cleaning the registries and this sporadic behavior still exists. Anyone else?  Thank you.

Win10 Pro 64bit v2004, QWin Deluxe R28.24

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
- I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Best Answer

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

A solution for this behavior was included with the R31 release. 

If you haven't already, please update to the latest version of Quicken (R31.8) from the Help > Check for Updates option and let us know if you continue to experience this issue.

Thank you,

Sarah

Answers

• Hello @BK,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and providing a detailed explanation of your issue as well as stating what you have tried so far, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

I attempted to test your issue to see if I could replicate it but was unsuccessful in doing so within my own Quicken program. For this reason, if you don't mind, I'd like you to create a new (test) file.

Follow the steps below to create a test file.
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile.
    7. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

From there, you can then switch back to your original file. Quicken will list the most recently opened files so you can access and switch between them from the File menu.

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Check back and let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your quick reply.  Yes, the issue exists in my test files as well  (I already have two of them).  I the next few days, I may try going back to one of the older patches (R26.23 was one I stayed on for a long time as it worked very well) and see if this issue carries back or not - or install that on my test laptop.  Will report back.  Thanks.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hello @Quicken Anja
    I found the pattern to almost reproduce the issue.
    But before going thru the steps, as FYI I installed an older version R26.23 on my other laptop.  Used the same test datafile and my main datafile and no issues, everything worked well.  Upgraded it to R28.24 and immediately saw the issue on both datafiles.
    Issue summary: The sporadic absence of the "Online Update for This Account" pop-up window.
    Here are the steps to [almost] reproduce the issue:
    1. Open the OSU Summary Window (Tools > OSU Summary)
    2. Uncheck both "Show ..." boxes at the bottom > Close
    3. Select any individual account
    4. From the upper right gear icon, select Update now or Update Transactions [gear icon > Update now]
    5. Enter vault password
    6. The POP-UP Window "Online Update for This Account" opens up (this is the sporadic Pup-up window in question which will be absent in step 13)
    7. No need to actually invoke Update Now in this window - just cancel to save time (but you can update if you wish, doesn't matter)
    8. -------------------- separator line --------------------
    9. Open the OSU Summary Window again (Tools > OSU Summary)
    10. Check only the box "Show just the last update" > Close
    11. Select the same account as before
    12. From the upper right gear icon, select Update now or Update Transactions [gear icon > Update now]
    13. No POP-UP Window!  The Pop-up window "Online Update for This Account" is absent.  Only the subsequent resulting window opens up after update is complete.
    My guess conclusion:
    It appears that this issue is related to the checkbox "Show just the last update" which is located at the bottom left of the Tools > OSU Summary window.  You can toggle this checkbox to reproduce the issue.
    It also appears that your selection of this checkbox doesn’t always stick: on few occasions (on my main datafile which contains 30 accounts) I deselected the checkbox, did an update, and noticed that the checkbox was selected - so my deselection action wasn't saved.  But on my test datafile which contains only one account, the checkbox selection/deselection is saved every time and the window absence issue is easily reproduceable.  You will have to play with this few times to be able to see the sporadic absence of the window.
    Hope this helps.

• Thank you for providing these steps! That's very helpful.

I'll go ahead and follow these to test it myself as well. I will report back after, and we can go from there!

-Quicken Anja

• I just tested it myself by following the instructions you provided step-by-step and got the same result. I went ahead and submitted a bug report for this to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution.

Unfortunately, we won't have an ETA on this, however, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future update release.

Thank you for your patience and for bringing awareness to this issue!

-Quicken Anja

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    THANK YOU so much @Quicken Anja
    This is an insignificant issue compared to more pressing items you are busy with.  Glad I could help.  Cheers.

• You're very welcome! Reach back out if you need anything else. :)

-Quicken Anja

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This one seems to follow a pattern that I have seen for years, which may or may not be related.

Whenever I get a failure during One Step Update on an Express Web Connect account I like to try Update Now.  What happens every time is that instead of putting up the Update Now dialog, instead it does nothing.  You have to invoke it a second time to make it work.

I noticed on the above steps, if you select Update Now a second time, sure enough the Update Now dialog does come up.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I do the exact same thing as you @Chris_QPW once I encounter a failure, but never saw this until R28.24 and noticed it the first day.  As we know our mileages vary.  FYI, I went from R26.23 to R28.24 and skipped everything in between.
    In all my tests I tried the Update Now five times.  At times (infrequently) the second or third time the window came up which supports what you wrote, but most often it didn't until I toggled the checkbox.  That strange inconsistency led me to observe it more closely and noticed that the change in the checkbox didn't consistently stick in my main datafile compared to the test file - read my last paragraph above again please.
    So from my observation and your past experience combined there are other parameters involved in this equation since I can close and reopen the program and the behavior will change without me making any changes.  The plot thickens!

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

A solution for this behavior was included with the R31 release. 

If you haven't already, please update to the latest version of Quicken (R31.8) from the Help > Check for Updates option and let us know if you continue to experience this issue.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I decided to remain on R28.24 for the time being given the fact that I have experienced zero issues!  I did update once and immediately saw problems and downgraded back right away.  It has been a solid release for my needs and keeping my eyes open for the next uneventful one.  Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.