Editing paycheck fields - no longer able to make entries directly into field

steve parker
steve parker Member ✭✭✭
Prior to the most recent update it was possible to edit a paycheck by entering amounts directly into the "Amount" fields (in yellow).  Tabbing from field to field would select the amount for quick editing.  

The fields are no longer accessible; instead you have to click edit, enter the amount and click 'OK".

I set up a paycheck that has the average amounts in it because my pay and deductions change every pay period.  It was easy to just tab through the fields and enter the correct numbers.  Now I have 14 fields that require 3 clicks to enter rather than just tabbing through.

Is this supposed to be an improvement?  Maybe it's a setting that I messed up?

Quicken Home, Business and Rental Property - Year 2020 - v R2828 - Build 27.1.28.28

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    You should be able to left-click in an Amount field to set the focus and then edit the amount and use the Tab (or Enter) and Shift + Tab to move between the Amount fields.  No setting required.
  • steve parker
    steve parker Member ✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    You should be able to left-click in an Amount field to set the focus and then edit the amount and use the Tab (or Enter) and Shift + Tab to move between the Amount fields.  No setting required.
    @Sherlock Appreciate your reply. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "set the focus."  However, as I said the fields were not directly editable after update, 28.28.  No way to tab or navigate among them.  No point in repeating what I said in the original post, tho'.

I reinstalled 28.24 and the paycheck fields can again be directly edited as always in the past.  I'll try reinstalling 28.28 again and see what happens.  But that patch has to be the problem.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just edited my wife's paycheck, and had no problem directly changing a value (w/o clicking the Edit button first).  I tried both Income and Pre-Tax Deduction fields

The only field that I couldn't edit directly was "Employer Match" ... but that has always been the case.

And I'm running R28.28 also .... so I suspect that there's something else at play here.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    @Sherlock Appreciate your reply. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "set the focus."  However, as I said the fields were not directly editable after update, 28.28.  No way to tab or navigate among them.  No point in repeating what I said in the original post, tho'.

I reinstalled 28.24 and the paycheck fields can again be directly edited as always in the past.  I'll try reinstalling 28.28 again and see what happens.  But that patch has to be the problem.

To be able to edit the amount, you need to left-click on the amount.  This sets the focus which enables the amount field to become editable.  When the focus is appropriately set, an entry box forms around the amount and the calculator icon appears.
  • steve parker
    steve parker Member ✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    I just edited my wife's paycheck, and had no problem directly changing a value (w/o clicking the Edit button first).  I tried both Income and Pre-Tax Deduction fields

The only field that I couldn't edit directly was "Employer Match" ... but that has always been the case.

And I'm running R28.28 also .... so I suspect that there's something else at play here.
    Thanks.  I'll install 28.28 again and see what happens.  Wish me luck.  I'd rather be on the current version if possible.

Yes, Employer Match has always been that way, and that's exactly what happened to the other fields.

Never had this issue before.  Been using program for several decades.  Admittedly, I don't recall when they started the paycheck form, but never an issue.
  • steve parker
    steve parker Member ✭✭✭
    Just re-installed 28.28.  It's fixed now.  Something weird in the first install.  Maybe the wrong incantation before I installed.

Thanks for responses.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gremlins.  That explains everything.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.