Cash accounts for brokers

Cash accounts for brokers do not show the financial institution name on the accounts list. these are the only accounts that I have this problem with.
Quicken 2020
R29.12
Build 27.1.29.12

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these "linked" Accounts?  If you're talking about the Account Bar list - the vertical list of Accounts to the left or right of the screen - you can edit the Account name to include the financial institution.
  • Robert Ralyea
    Robert Ralyea Member ✭✭✭✭
    These are linked checking accounts to broker accounts. No matter what I do the financial institution is blank. This only happens with linked checking accounts.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robert Ralyea - Linked checking accounts should default the account name to name of the investment account-Cash.  If your investment account name includes the name of the FI, then the name of the linked checking account should also show that.
    If it doesn't, you should be able to change the name of the linked checking account on the General tab of the linked checking account Account Details and then clicking on the OK button.  You have tried doing that and does not save the name change?
    If that is the case, you might want to try doing the following:
    1. Backup your data file in case something goes wrong.
    2. Investment account:  Account Details > General tab > click on No for Show Cash In A Checking Account.  Wait for Quicken to move the cash back into your investment account and to delete your current linked checking account.
    3. Investment account:  Account Details > General tab > click on Yes for Show Cash In A Checking Account.  Wait for Quicken to set up a new linked checking account and move the cash into it.
    Did this resolve your issue?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Robert Ralyea
    I probably was not clear in my first post. My linked accounts have the correct name. What Zi am talking is the main view financial institution column. No financial obstinate shows up for just my borker accounts under spending.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you referring the the Accounts list, normally on the left side of your screen?

Where exactly is the financial institution name missing?

Please be more specific about what the problem is.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you possibly talking about the column "Financial Institution" that you see when you click on Tools > Account List?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Tom Young said:
    Are you possibly talking about the column "Financial Institution" that you see when you click on Tools > Account List?
    That was my question, too.  In my test file I have a Fidelity brokerage account which I changed to have the cash shown in a linked checking account.  When I did that, the FI for the linked checking account in Account List was not listed.
    I then entered the account number for the Fidelity brokerage account into the General tab of Account Details for the linked checking account (because it was not listed)...and Fidelity then was listed for the linked checking account in Account List.
    Here's the oddity:  After OSU the account number no longer shows up in Account Details of the linked checking account but the FI still does show up in Account List.  It makes me think that this might be a bug.
    I didn't know if or how entering that brokerage account number into the Account Details for the linked checking account might affect the reliability of downloads from Fidelity so I ran OSU to see what would happen.  There were some cash transactions downloaded that showed up properly in the linked checking account register.  I did not observe any odd behavior and I was able to reconcile both the brokerage account and the linked checking account.  One OSU doesn't prove anything but it does appear to function correctly. 
    @Robert Ralyea -  If the FI not showing up in the Account List is what you are referring to, you might want to try doing what I did.  If you do this, be sure to backup your data file beforehand in case something goes wrong.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Robert Ralyea
    Not the left screen the main screen that you customizes in my case all checking then savings then credit cards the investments. It is called the main screen and I don’t know how to make it any clearer.
  • Robert Ralyea
    This is the screen and all financial names are not transfer to this screen. Only broker accounts is the problem.
  • Robert Ralyea
    Thank you Boatmanic adding the account number on the account details fixed the problem. Not sure what changed but that did the trick.

Thanks again