I am considering renaming my Quicken Data file. Any "best practice" naming suggestions?

I am considering renaming my Quicken Data file. Any "best practice" naming suggestions? Any downside to renaming the file? Are there other areas in Quicken or elsewhere that I need to advise of the change? Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Any forum is susceptible to someone going thru it and recording email addresses to send spam to.
    I just don't want to help anyone to make me a recipient of their emails.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can edit your profile and uncheck the box to let others see your email address.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10

Answers

• Storner
    Storner Member
    # 1 -- 36325cpy_20131110.QDF
    # 2 -- That's one of the reasons I posted the question. What do you recommend?
    #3 -- It's too long and not informative to the uninitiated.
    #4 -- "Rename" in Windows File manager unless you have a better protocol.

Thanks!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I have mixed feelings about the 8.3 suggestion because in fact it shouldn't really matter at this point.  Surely there are lots of cases where it is working just fine with long names that have spaces and such in them.  On the other hand, there have been some rare cases where it did seem to matter.

My data file name is Current.   :)
    I have another file that is used for testing cloud sync and it is called Offline.  :)

As for doing the rename you have the right idea just use File Explorer.  And there is another tip, if you then double click on it, it will open in Quicken, and Quicken will now know where it is without you having to do File -> Open and browsing for it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Storner
    Storner Member
    My thanks to respondents -- NotACPA, Greg-the-Geek, Chris_QPW and splasher -- for your advice. I'll get on the project soon!

PS -- I noticed none of you "show" your email address in your "about" page where as mine does show. Is this something about which I need to be cautious?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Any forum is susceptible to someone going thru it and recording email addresses to send spam to.
    I just don't want to help anyone to make me a recipient of their emails.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can edit your profile and uncheck the box to let others see your email address.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.