New Securities In Investment Reports (7 Legacy Votes)

Quicken Community
edited October 2023 in Reports
I have many custom investment reports.  Whenever I add a new security, I have to determine for each report whether or not it should be included.  It would be helpful if in the Customize screens there was a checkbox that if checked would include all newly added securities so that I don't have to update each report every time a new security is added.  If the new checkbox is not checked then it should act just as it does now so that you can determine whether or not add this new security to the report.
6 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    There is already a similar feature for adding new categories to reports. Having the same feature for new securities would be helpful.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Doesn't the show change alerts option take care of this.  if you have added securities you will get a prompt asking if you want them included in the report or not. 

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    You are correct that this allows you the option to include this security in the report or not.  But, when you have a lot of reports it would save considerable time if there was a process like I described that would allow you to automatically include the security in reports without having go through this process.
  • petermic
    petermic Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Just want to add my vote for this suggestion.  Quicken used to do this before it was 'improved'.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the Age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to Add your Vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

~~~***~~~
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka:  This idea should be on the developers list as one of several that point to a broad issue of how new securities, accounts, tags, categories, etc. are handled in saved reports.  There seems to be inconsistency and room for improvement across the board.  Some top-end thought needs to be applied to that process rather than piecemeal changes.  
  • TB
    TB Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I concur. I purchase a new security and then open my saved investment reports. Every one of my investment reports opens with the change notice and I have to add the security, and then save the report. Is there some simple way that I am missing a switch or something to get this to work without the change notice? Help. For some investors that play weekly options, seems like they would be continually having to modify their reports. If it is not currently available, Quicken should add it as an option - just a simple check box somewhere that automatically adds (or shows) all non-hidden securities?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Perhaps an improvement would be to change the change alerts checkbox to radio buttons:
    o Automatically add new securities and accounts to this report
    o Show me change alerts
    o Do not automatically add  new securities and accounts
    QWin Premier subscription
  • galtgroup
    galtgroup Unconfirmed, Member
    edited March 2021
    I trade in new securities daily and its a pain in the [removed - language] to keep telling the report to include new securities. I thought I checked a box to include all securities when I created the report. The default should include new securities, the exception should be not to.
  • TB
    TB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    There seems to be several requests for this feature [removed - rant/disruptive/unhelpful]
  • MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

Seems like a no-brainer here. All should mean all until the user changes it. If selected securities are desired, that can be handled by using the Selected feature.

Let's get this bug fixed. It is quite annoying.

[Edited - Readability]

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

To be clear, the idea here is that if you select the All radio button, it should mean "all at the time the report is run" not "all at the time the report was saved". If you want all at the time the report was saved, you can select the Selected radio button and click on Select all.

QWin Premier subscription
  • MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭

Right - That's why I think it should mean. All the items (like securities) whenever the report is run. Otherwise, choose Selected items.

Thx for followup!!

• TB
    TB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023

Wow! This feature was requested in 2017 and it is still active as of July 2023! One would think that some sane Quicken staff member would either change the program to include this feature or at least post a comment here that they don't feel the change would be worthwhile as it would benefit only a handful of users. (Hopefully this post is not considered a faux pas by Quicken that would make Quicken delete a portion of the post as being a "rant/disruptive/unhelpful" as occurred in my post of over 2 years ago!)

• MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭

Nice comment. Curious about 'handful of users' idea, since I would think that lots of folks that use Premiere would have a use for cutomized reports. But, then again, i have no clue. As a user since the DOS Quicken days of the late 90's, I have created a boat load of customized reports that have helped in so many ways. I do hope that this feature might bubble up the queue now and become a reality!

:)

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭

Good food for thought. For me, just the securities are the issue, but your idea is broader and might help others.

😀

• MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭

Sooo - I think the group think is that ALL means ALL in Securities, just as it means in choosing All for Accounts, or All for Categories.

Curious about how to get this Obvious omission corrected? There is no downside here, IMO, to standardizing the methodology.

Thanks to all for your polite attention!

BTW, if you use the Dashboard Reports, several of these also need to be modified when a new Security is added. Hmmmm

Next Step?

Mr. Zipp