My hard disk crashed and I need to reinstall Quicken XG 2004 - the UK version.

I know it is obsolete but I just need a download - or copy of the disk - as I have mislaid mine. Intuit have given me my licence details so it would be legal to borrow a disk or download if anyone has one!

Best Answer

• NigelE
    NigelE Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I worked it out... I was trying to use the same name. saving the files to a new location on C and renaming ALL 5 files to a new name sorted it. then open from win explorer with 'open with' Quicken..

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @VEACOKER,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

You can download Quicken 2004 from step 2 in the blue dropdown section titled Converting a data file from Quicken 98 - 2003 found in this support article.

Please, keep in mind that it may not be the same version you are looking for.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja Quicken 2004 US isn't what @VEACOKER wants.  Quicken XG 2004 is the old UK version of Quicken (the last version of Quicken in UK before Intuit pulled the licensing for it).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Chris_QPW said:
    @Quicken Anja Quicken 2004 US isn't what @VEACOKER wants.  Quicken XG 2004 is the old UK version of Quicken (the last version of Quicken in UK before Intuit pulled the licensing for it).
    Got it! Thanks for clarifying. :smile:

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• VEACOKER
    VEACOKER Member
    Chris - you are correct. At that time I was a Professional Advisor and received the final disk with a perpetual licence. It still works fine and I use it to keep track of my personal finances as well as tracking my business bank account where the standing order feature is useful for predicting cash flow.
    What is frustrating is that I know I have the disk somewhere. Before I moved house I knew exactly where it was, but it has gone astray in my new house, although frustratingly, I feel as if I have seen it somewhere "safe"
    I have copied the program files on my home computer onto a memory stick and found that I can run that on my office computer - albeit rather slowly. unfortunately if I try to transfer it to my office computer it recognises it but wants it registered, but the link to do that does not work. I know it is a longshot, but if anyone still has a copy of this package, I would be VERY grateful if I could borrow it, because even Intuit acknowledge I have a legal right to use it - but they just don't have a download version. They told me to ring Quicken UK - which I did, but they said it was too old for them to have copies. Mind you this might come up with the same issue if it needs to be registered, but I would like to try! I certainly don't want to but a new version which I believe has an annual cost! but is anyone has any ides I would be interested.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Have you looked in your safe or location where you keep your valuables? It appears you knew how valuable the disk was when you stashed it "somewhere safe". Do you recall if it was in the original box, or simply the CD sleeve? Do you remember where you last saw it? You must find that disk as it is unfortunately going to be your only option.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    VEACOKER said:
    unfortunately if I try to transfer it to my office computer it recognises it but wants it registered, but the link to do that does not work.
    For getting past the registering.  I'm not sure these apply to the UK version, but ...
    Here is a couple of things you can try.

If the registering before it starts up then you need files in C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config.  If you have a copy of that folder you can copy it to the new machine.

If the program starts up and you can get to the Tools menu you can hold down the left Ctrl+Shift and select Tools -> One Step Update to stop it from asking the registration.

Another possibility is to convert to the US version, others on here have done so.
    @Dan Glynhampton can you help?
    Signature:
  • VEACOKER
    VEACOKER Member
    Thanks Chris - I will certainly try that. I really appreciate your suggestions. At least I have managed to access my data files using the program on a memory stick, but it is slow and frankly I don't trust memory sticks with daily use of this kind.
  • VEACOKER
    VEACOKER Member
    HI again Chris, I just tried your first suggestion and sadly although I have a licence number provided to me my Intuit support, I cannot reach the menus to try your idea because it asks for an Activation code. Intuit said that should not be necessary but I cannot bypass that screen. Nice idea though!
    Sadly the Quicken UK company were not at all helpful as they said they have nothing on the products before they took over from QuickBooks. so I think I am unlikely to resolve this problem even if I find my disk.

Thanks also to others who kindly responded to my query :-)
  • ianmac57
    ianmac57 Member
    VEACOKER - did you ever resolve your problem ??
    I have the same issue - I am running Quicken UK 98 Deluxe with a Y2K fix/upgrade supplied by Intuit on a very old Dell laptop with Win XP.
    I recently cleared out an office and found an unused Quicken UK 2003 XG Suite.
    I tried to load this new package and the Installation Key Code worked Ok but the next step is an Activation Code is required - either via an on-line link or by calling a telephone number - both don't work ! (unsurprising ...!!!)
    Although my 98/Y2K version works perfectly, I would still like to try the 2003 version.
    I can send you a copy of the 98/Y2K version if you wanted to try that as a solution.

My only niggle with Q UK 98/Y2K is that for some reason if you are manually updating share prices, although the Portfolio view shows updated values etc, the Account view frequently does not - sometimes you have to open the individual Investment Registers by double clicking each line on the Account view or worst case is to manually update the most recent share price via Security Detail - in some cases by adding a couple of zeros to the share price (e.g. overtype 12.56 with 12.5600 or 1235 with 1235.00) and then double click to open the Investment Register - a pain but at least I know how to fix inconsistencies between Portfolio Value and Investment Account values.
  • ianmac57
    ianmac57 Member
    VEACOKER - you are welcome to a copy of the 2003 XG Suite but I don't that that will solve your / our activation code problem.

Surely somebody somewhere must have an activation code that works or would those be linked to the individual Installation Key Codes ??
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    ianmac57 said:
    VEACOKER - you are welcome to a copy of the 2003 XG Suite but I don't that that will solve your / our activation code problem.

Surely somebody somewhere must have an activation code that works or would those be linked to the individual Installation Key Codes ??
    I doubt any "activation code" would do anyone any good.  I would think that the process would be to connect to a long dead server for verification.
    Signature:
  • ianmac57
    ianmac57 Member
    When trying to load XG Suite 2003 UK, I had two options to obtain the Verification Code - either via an internet link (to a now long dead server) or to call an 0800 telephone number - presumably that would have given me a 'hard code' to enter manually ?
  • VEACOKER
    VEACOKER Member
    Thanks to all who responded.
    The disk version I needed was the final XG 2004 when the product became obsolete. The disk said it was a permanent copy which I believe was allowed indefinite use without the need to re-register and of course would carry no support. There were no restrictions on use so I had it installed on both my home and office computers, When my office hard disk failed I wanted to reinstall - which was when I realised the disk had been mislaid during a home move. - hence my post on this forum as I did not need new licence details, so was not asking for anything illegal..
    Anyway to cut a long story short, when I could not load the software directly, I was just about to give up when it occurred to me that my home copy works fine, so I could restore my office backup on that copy. Of course that would have been a bit inconvenient, so I was inspired to transfer the program and data to a memory stick. I found that this worked perfectly on my office computer, so I transferred the lot from the memory stick to the computer and "Whooppee" that worked to.
    Obviously I will keep the memory stick in case of future problems. In the meantime it may help anyone in a similar predicament - unless that is I am the last person still using that old version.
  • ianmac57
    ianmac57 Member
    VEACOKER
    Does UK 2004 use a .QDF file or is it a .QIF file ??
    My version uses .QDF and I was wondering about file conversion ??
  • VEACOKER
    VEACOKER Member
    Sorry ianmac57, I have no idea.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the Quicken Data File has always been .QDF. .QIF is Quicken Interchange Format.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There are actually multiple files that make up the data set before Quicken 2010.  The main file is a qdf but but other files are like the qph which hold the security prices.  The exact number and types of files have changed over the years but qdf is always been the main one.  In Quicken 2010 they played a little bit of a trick and what they did is take those multiple files and put them in a compressed file and that compressed file still has the file type of qdf.

A qif file has always been about exporting and importing information from a Quicken data file or from a financial institution into Quicken data file.  It is the predecessor to the web connect file which is a suffix type of qfx.

And it still exists because where is the qfx file is only for importing transactions from like a financial institution the qif file is much more versatile in that it can be used for exporting not only transactions but other information like categories and memorize payees and even tax lines.
    Signature:
  • NigelE
    NigelE Member ✭✭
    Hi VEACOKER,
    I have the 2004 XG Uk disc - how would i get a copy to you?

I also have a problem which I wonder if anyone can help? I have had problems with Win10 .NET update recently and Quicken wasnt opening. I have managed to reinstall Quicken, but somehow I have eneded up with the only good version being on a slow USB. I have tried multiple times to copy the files onto C: and even into the Quicken program folder, but to no avail.. everytime I open it, I lose the .QPH price history file... even when they are the same date and time. any ideas for how to properly restore please?
    thanks,
    Nigel
  • NigelE
    NigelE Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I worked it out... I was trying to use the same name. saving the files to a new location on C and renaming ALL 5 files to a new name sorted it. then open from win explorer with 'open with' Quicken..
  • Hawkins
    Hawkins Member
    I'm so glad to have found this community. I called Quicken, and of course they told me to get a life. I called my bank because they have a department that understands Quicken and tell me how to get it going. They were rude and told me they would not help me and that no one uses 2017 anymore. I have been unable to reconcile my bank statements since December.
This discussion has been closed.