Quicken 2019 will not authorize on Win10 32-bit

Quicken 19 will not authorize me on a Windows 10 32 bit computer. It keeps asking me for my ID and password. I notice that when I click on about Quicken in help for another computer that has Windows 10 64 bit computer it recognizes me and my expiration date. On the 32 bit computer it does not recognize me or my expiration date. Any thoughts on how to correct this so that I can use Quicken on the 32 bit computer again. This has only happened in the last two weeks. It ran fine before on the 32 bit computer.
Thanks.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Can you get to File -> Preferences?
    If so try this:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Sign in as a different user

Log out and then back in with the same Quicken Id.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dan 130
    dan 130 Member ✭✭
    File only comes up with "new Quicken file", "Open Quicken file", "Find Quicken files", "File operations" (sub heading "Validate and repair"), and Exit. If I put my Id and password in, I eventually get to a page that says I have and active Quicken subscription and asks me to download for windows. See attached files.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well since this just started happening maybe a bad patch install caused the problem.

The first thing I would try is to install the Mondo patch from here:
    Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows

If that doesn't do it I would try to get and clean uninstall, and then reinstall Quicken.
    Here is the procedure, be sure to follow the second part that has you renaming the folders (personally I would just delete them).
    Using QcleanUI to Fix Installation Issues with Quicken for Windows

If that does work repeat the QcleanUI procedure and try an older version of Quicken.
    To that you would install with your Internet disconnected to prevent it from upgrading to the latest version and then download and install an older patch from here:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-subscription-patches.html
    Signature:
  • dan 130
    dan 130 Member ✭✭
    I have tried both of your fist two suggestions several times. I have also loaded the file from the disk, but I always got all of the latest updates via the internet. I will try the disk again with the internet disconnected tomorrow. How far back on the patches should I go to see if that works? Thanks for your help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It since it just started any of the older ones would probably work, but I think I would go with R28.28 just to be on the safe side.
    Signature:
  • dan 130
    dan 130 Member ✭✭
    OK Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow and let you know..
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    dan 130 said:
    File only comes up with "new Quicken file", "Open Quicken file", "Find Quicken files", "File operations" (sub heading "Validate and repair"), and Exit. If I put my Id and password in, I eventually get to a page that says I have and active Quicken subscription and asks me to download for windows. See attached files.
    I suggest using a Windows short (8.3) name for the Quicken file name.  For example, QData.QDF.  You may use Windows File Explorer to rename the file.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dan 130 said:
    Quicken 19 will not authorize me on a Windows 10 32 bit computer. It keeps asking me for my ID and password. I notice that when I click on about Quicken in help for another computer that has Windows 10 64 bit computer it recognizes me and my expiration date. On the 32 bit computer it does not recognize me or my expiration date. Any thoughts on how to correct this so that I can use Quicken on the 32 bit computer again. This has only happened in the last two weeks. It ran fine before on the 32 bit computer.
    Thanks.
    Hi @""dan 130" ,

The Windows 10 32-Bit Computer, does not require Activation, that the Windows 10 64-Bit.did, as you first installed Quicken Subscription on.

You cannot use the same Quicken Installer on all computers. If you install Quicken Subscription on another computer, you need to download the Quicken Installer from your Quicken Account @ https://www.quicken.com/ My Account.

The problem stems from the fact you are using the same copy of the original Quicken Installer.you used, which you cannot do.

See this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

When you renew your Quicken Subscription, you don't need to reinstall.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Very interesting @thecreator, I had forgotten didn't know that where you download the installer matters in this case.

That might also be the case in this thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882359/how-to-activate-quicken-2020-inside-vmwares-win10-vm
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    We may use the same Quicken for Windows install program to install Quicken on any Windows computer: https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe  We do not need to sign in to our Quicken.com accounts to obtain the install program.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    My guess regarding the original issue is that a Windows security feature has been enabled, perhaps Controlled folder access.
  • dan 130
    dan 130 Member ✭✭
    No luck. Still can't get it to work on the 32 bit Windows. Controlled folder access is not enabled. It's greyed out. Uninstalled Norton and still can't get to that folder. Tried downloading form the disk and used the patch instead of updating. No luck.
    any more suggestions? Thanks.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried starting Quicken by holding down the Control key and then creating a new Quicken data file?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • dan 130
    dan 130 Member ✭✭
    Didn't work. I have even bought another Quicken with a different ID and that did not work either. Prior to two weeks ago, I was able to use either the 32 bit or 64 bit Windows on either computer with the same data file and had no problem. The data file is always saved to the same external hard drive.
    I think the problem is either Quicken, Norton or Windows.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I don't use Norton on my Windows 10 32-bit machine, but I thought you said you removed it as a test.

About the only thing I can think of left would be to reset Windows.
    Signature:
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried moving the data file to the local hard drive and opening it from there?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • dan 130
    dan 130 Member ✭✭
    I took Norton off the computer, reinstalled Norton also. The data file is on both the external hard drive and the internal hard drive.
    Chris, In my other question about running Quicken on a 32 bit Windows, I said I had too many apps on that computer that I wouldn't be able to update or use if I did a clean Windows 10 install. I guess I'll use the 64 bit computer for now. Who knows, maybe someday the 32 bit computer will fix itself, just like it stopped working for Quicken.

Thanks to all of the community for your suggestions.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    When resetting Windows there is an option to keep your files/settings.  But that does have some risk.  And it is far from clear that it would make any difference.

The big problem here is that we no nothing about how Quicken does this check for the licensing and so we are just shooting in the dark.

WARNING, I was thinking of a reinstall of Windows where you can keep your program and settings, not "Reset".  Reset will remove your programs, if you don't have the installs for your programs you certainly don't want to use Windows "Reset".  Reset has an option to keep the files, but it will not keep the programs and settings.
    Signature:
  • thecreator
    dan 130 said:
    I took Norton off the computer, reinstalled Norton also. The data file is on both the external hard drive and the internal hard drive.
    Chris, In my other question about running Quicken on a 32 bit Windows, I said I had too many apps on that computer that I wouldn't be able to update or use if I did a clean Windows 10 install. I guess I'll use the 64 bit computer for now. Who knows, maybe someday the 32 bit computer will fix itself, just like it stopped working for Quicken.

Thanks to all of the community for your suggestions.

Hi @""dan 130" ,

Quicken R29.22 does indeed install in Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit just fine. Have you tried my procedure? It works.

I had to furnish my Quicken User ID and password, which I entered and it works.

You need to Sign in with your Quicken User ID and password, otherwise it does not work.

• dan 130
    dan 130 Member ✭✭
    I tried it this morning. Nothing different in my results. When I talked to support last week, he noticed that my account doesn't show a platform for my Quicken 19 purchase. He said that could be a problem. Ever heard off this?
  • thecreator
    Hi @""dan 130" ,

Platform: N/A

That is correct. If you go to: https://www.quicken.com/  and click SIGN IN to My Account, you will see with Quicken Subscription Product, you have the ability to Download for Windows or Download for Mac.

And if you own both a Windows and a Mac Computer, you can download for both. without any extra costs.

The purpose of Downloading the New Installer from your Account, is verify your Quicken User ID and password, work.

Did you download the New Installer from Quicken, this morning?

From your Screenshot, you show a CD purchase good for a 2 Yr Membership purchased on January 6, 2019 and a purchase for 2019 DIRECT DOWNLOAD 1YR WIN on October 19, 2020.

Your Quicken Membership is fouled up, time-wise.

You did not need to buy on October 19, 2020, because, if you activated Quicken on January 6, 2019, means that your Membership expires on January 7, 2021.

If your New Membership, expires on January 7, 2022, you are fine. If not, get a refund for your October 19, 2020 purchase.

Just trying to explain and help.

• dan 130
    dan 130 Member ✭✭
    Quicken support put the October 19, 2020 app on my account to see if the platform would be recognized at no charge. He said that it would make sure that I was downloading the latest version. I used the download from my account this morning. I also tried a second time using the disk I had purchased in 2019. I have tried numerous thing over the past two weeks and nothing seems to work in the 32 bit Windows 10. I even purchased Quicken under a different ID and a different Quicken ID. That didn't work on the 32 bit computer. I received a refund for that purchase
  • thecreator
    Hi @""dan 130" ,

Create a Brand New Windows User Account with Administrator Rights.

Click on User Name to Change Account Type to Administrator.

Once User is set to Administrator, Right-click on Start. Hover over Shut down or sign out and click Sign out.

After you are signed out, click on the New User and click Sign in or Enter Password you created, which wasn't necessary, but optional.

After you are signed in, see if you have access to the Quicken Installer. If not, download the new one again and install New. Make sure that you Restore a Manual Backup. Don't open existing file.

Your Microsoft User Account in the operating system, may be corrupted. This is a Shortcut to create a New User Account, rather than having to reformat and reinstall to fix.

This discussion has been closed.