Bank Bill Pay issues (Q Mac)

Quicken connect went on the blink for my main checking account so I switched to Direct Connect. It automatically connected to my bank's bill pay and even though I turned it off, it caused issues.

1) It deleted most of my Online payees at my bank's site. This isn't catastrophic. I recreated them but it was a bother.
2) It downloaded crud unfriendly payee names from my Bank's site, which it wouldn't let me change. If you delete the payee and then recreate with same name (for example: American Express for downloaded AMERICAN EXPRESS {I hate all caps}, it tells me I already have a payee of that name. I cannot find it once I deleted it but it is apparently still there! To get it back, you have to restore backup from before you deleted it!
3) I found I could workaround changing name by doing a transaction search and then editing all of them to what I want and choosing create new payee. It would then change the Payee. But it still had the $ in front of it keeping it as an online payee.
4) Turning off Bank Billpay, which I did immediately makes no difference. You still cannot edit or really delete them. You can merely hide them, but some of the Payees I still use. I just pay online or at their site.

Suggestions:

1) When one sets up Direct Connect, do not turn on Bank Bill Pay automatically. Quicken should ask and warn what this means.
2) When Bank Bill Pay is off, allow customer to edit or delete the online payees. I mean REALLY delete them.
3) I've made a mental note not to use Direct Connect with my checking account. If I have to switch temporarily from Quicken Connect, I'll go to Web Connect.
4) There ought to be a way to restore faux deleted payees for those who don't know not to do that.

Finally,

Why is there no way to repair MAC files? I used to do this all the time with the Windows version.
If I ever use Quicken Bill Pay, will it do all this downloading and synching of payees too without allowing customers to edit them?

Thanks for your opinions, help, discussion.

Steve
MS Money/Quicken Classic since 1991
Quicken Simplifi since 2021

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @SRC1954

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to provide your feedback although I am sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this trouble.

I wanted to leave some information that I hope is useful. First, I wanted to include a link to the Idea section of the CommunityThis section holds all of the features requests for Quicken for Mac.

If you would like to create an Idea, please see the information available here.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for a reply. I will post in the idea section, but I am disappointed that no one seemed to care about my concerns or suggestions. Quicken support doesn't seem to care either.

Steve

• SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    I should say other than you!

Steve

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    SRC1954 said:
    Why is there no way to repair MAC files? I used to do this all the time with the Windows version.
    I'm strictly a Quicken Mac user, but I believe the answer is that repair functions are needed int he database used by Quicken Windows because of things that can become corrupted/out-of-sync within the database. This was the case in the legacy Quicken Mac product as well. But the modern Quicken Mac uses a modern, industrial-strength SQL database that is not prone to the same sorts of corruption issues, and there's therefore no need for a "repair" of the database. So it's a good thing, not a bad thing, that Quicken Mac uses a newer and better underlying database than Quicken Windows, and doesn't need a validate or repair function. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    Well, my online payees were deleted for the upteenth time by Quicken. I had to change the password again and again I have to set it up as Direct Connection and again it assumes I want Quicken to manage Billpay. Yes, I can turn it off but not preemptively and yes, it is then too late. It downloads everything in ALL CAPS, which I do not want and it locks them and I have to change them to look right but they are gone when it is over. I hate this.

Steve

• SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    3 months now and it still doesn't work.

Steve

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @SRC1954

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you continue to experience trouble with the data file.

Can you please confirm the location of your data file? 

This can be located by holding the "Control" key on the keyboard and clicking the file name along the top in Quicken.

In this path, do you see any mention of Dropbox or iCloud?

If the active file is stored in a cloud drive, this can cause some of the behavior that you have described.

Please let me know so we can see if we are able to work through and correct some of these issues.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @SRC1954

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience and feedback with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

We'll need a bit more information to be able to assist.

Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you are using.

Do you receive any error codes or messages?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    Here is the situation. First US Bank changed their website in early September. Since then Quicken Connect doesn't work as it still tries to go to the old website. I have dealt with the nice folks in Costa Rica support with this for two months. I can get my site to work with Direct Connect BUT inexplicably unlike the Quicken Windows 2017, where you had to turn on Billpay, Quicken Mac now turns it on by default. You can turn it off after the first download but the damage is already irreparable.

It goes through my payees and locks the ones it finds and deletes the ones it doesn't find. So today, for like the 4th time, I lost all my payees but two. On top of that, the ones that it keeps have become all caps. If I delete the payee, it's still there, but I cannot create a new one with the same name properly capitalized. I am an English teacher. I am not going to compromise on this.

1) Quicken needs to not turn a bank's billpay on automatically. It should give you the option.
    2) Quicken should fix Quicken Connect, which I would rather use.
    3) Quicken should not delete payees on your bank's site. Period. That should be left up to the user.
    4) Quicken should allow you to edit within Quicken bank payees so they are the way you want it, not what some software tells you to take.
    5) There ought to be a way for me to communicate this to Quicken Support without calling Costa Rica. They are real nice but they just want to trouble shoot trouble that cannot be trouble shot.

I appreciate your reply. I hope this is more coherent. I was directed to change my password twice last two days and that just creates havoc in Quicken. Apparently, there is now no way to change the password in Quicken without creating a new connection. If there is, kindly show me the way.

Steve

• SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    I just saw your reply about location. It is not in iCloud. It's in documents on my iMac.

Steve

• SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    Also I have the latest Quicken updates, Premium, latest iMac updates. 5.18.2 10.15.7. I use Report a Problem but I never get a response.

Steve

This discussion has been closed.