Why don't Bank Bill Pay Items match with Downloaded Items

I've had this annoyance now for several months and wondering if it's something that can be fixed.

I use bank bill pay for my bills via Quicken, so when I pay a credit card bill using the feature, the transaction is posted to the register in the paying account as a future transaction. So far, so good.

However when that bill is actually paid by the bank, and the resulting transaction is downloaded, it does not match with the existing transaction, so I end up with both. I can't even drag one on top of the other to tell Quicken they're the same transaction.

In another very popular finance application for the Mac, this behavior doesn't occur, it does actually match. See screenshots.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Zoolook,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Quicken > About Quicken

First, I would just like to clarify a few things in order to better assist you--
    1. After the posted transaction downloads, what does the status of the original transaction in the register show ("Check #" field-- e.g.: Paid, Sent, etc.)?
    2. What is the name of the financial institution you're making payments from? 
    3. Is this only happening with any specific payee(s), or all payees that you're making payments to?

If you don't mind, could you also post a screenshot of both transactions in your Quicken register as well, please?

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Hello @Zoolook,

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Quicken > About Quicken
    First, I would just like to clarify a few things in order to better assist you--
    1. After the posted transaction downloads, what does the status of the original transaction in the register show ("Check #" field-- e.g.: Paid, Sent, etc.)?
    2. What is the name of the financial institution you're making payments from? 
    3. Is this only happening with any specific payee(s), or all payees that you're making payments to?

If you don't mind, could you also post a screenshot of both transactions in your Quicken register as well, please?

Anja - screenshots were attached to the original post. Are you unable to see them?

To answer all of your other questions:
    - I am on Quicken 5.18.2, however this issue has persisted through several versions
    - In all the cases this happens, one transaction says Paid and one says Sent. The 'Sent' one is the original posting that happens when I ask Quicken to initiate the payment, and the Paid one is the one that downloads when the amount is actually paid.
    - This is Chase bank, I use Direct Downloads obviously to allow Bank Bill Pay
    - No this happens on all payments initiated by Quicken, and also happens even using Quick Pay. It doesn't happen with other software, so I am assuming not an issue with Chase.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited November 2020
    I apologize, I did see those and thought it was one screenshot from the other program you had mentioned. Thanks for clarifying!

In that case, I'd like you to test something, if you don't mind. First, save a backup, just in case. Then, once the backup is saved-- On one of the bill pay transactions that show "Sent", please hold Option on your keyboard and click Delete at the bottom of the register. You should receive a dropdown menu at the top of the register-- choose the option Change to manual. Doing this should change the transaction from a bill pay transaction to a manual transaction and allow you to drag and drop the downloaded transaction to it to match them together. 

I'd like to see if doing this will "teach" Quicken to remember the match for that specific payee and automatically match them next time you make a payment and download it afterward.

-Quicken Anja

• Zoolook
    I apologize, I did see those and thought it was one screenshot from the other program you had mentioned. Thanks for clarifying!

In that case, I'd like you to test something, if you don't mind. First, save a backup, just in case. Then, once the backup is saved-- On one of the bill pay transactions that show "Sent", please hold Option on your keyboard and click Delete at the bottom of the register. You should receive a dropdown menu at the top of the register-- choose the option Change to manual. Doing this should change the transaction from a bill pay transaction to a manual transaction and allow you to drag and drop the downloaded transaction to it to match them together. 

I'd like to see if doing this will "teach" Quicken to remember the match for that specific payee and automatically match them next time you make a payment and download it afterward.

OK I was able to do what you suggested and merge the two transactions. I'll see what happens next month, thanks.
  • Zoolook

OK so it seems by doing this, Quicken now thinks my October statement (November bill) is overdue, and is giving me the incorrect information for my November Statement (December bill).
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the update, though I am sorry to hear that this created a new issue!

To clarify, where are you seeing this overdue status (e.g.: Bills & Income tab, account register, etc.)? If you're comfortable doing so, would you be able to post a screenshot of this overdue status?

Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.