Downloading credit card transactions

Sometimes find that not all transactions downloaded by the bank get picked up by Quicken. Today for example there had been two transactions from one merchant on 11/13. Quicken picked up one but not the other. I am running Quicken Premier R30.9 Build 27.1.30.9. This is a long existing problem that doesn't happen every month or even most months. Sometimes it happens near the time when the CC company is nearing the end of the cycle. This morning, there were only 3 transactions which could be downloaded. Repeating the download doesn't change things. The CC company offers other download formats and when I have looked at another download format, all the transactions are present, so this is a quirk in Quicken.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @steve lease

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is odd that it will occasionally only download a couple of the transactions. I think in this case it's a good idea to reset the connection to see if that might help us with getting the ones we're also missing. I'll leave steps down below.

First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.

https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account

Once we've had a chance to do this let us know if you're able to get the transactions your missing to download. If not we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Name of bank and connection type used to download? 
  • steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    It is Citi and the transaction shown on the Citi page is QFX-Quicken.
  • steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    To: Francisco at Quicken.....Just to clarify, usually all transactions come down except for one! Please explain why it is necessary to "deactive all accounts"? The problem only exists with one institution. Thanks, S
  • steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    To Tom: you asked what connection type? Do you mean how am I connecting to the internet?
  • Tom Young
    I was referring to how you're getting the information from the bank and into Quicken:
    If the process is EWC I could see how a transaction might be omitted in a download even though it happened on the same day as another transaction that was downloaded.  I'd expect that the "missing" transaction would be picked up the following day since with EWC you the aggregation only occurs once a day.
  • steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    Tom, I think it is just Web Connect.....When I click on Export, A little window pops up and asks if I want to download into Quicken. I click yes and if there are any transactions that haven't already been downloaded, I see a little icon on Quicken next to the account on the left side of the screen.
    Today's problem happened to be two transactions from same merchant on same day. In the past, it can be just some random transaction, usually just one.
  • Tom Young
    You think should be able to open the OFX file and see what actually came down to you.
    Help > Log Files > OFX Log
    These things can be a little confusing to look at but you should be able to at least spot the dollar amount associated with each transaction.  If the "missing" transaction isn't in the file then the problem is associated with the bank.  If you do see the missing transaction and it wasn't taken into Quicken, I suppose that could be either a "bank" problem or a "Quicken" problem, but at least we have something to go on.
  • steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    Hello Tom,
    the log shows that both of the transactions were sent by the bank! So somehow Quicken decided not to process the 2nd transaction created on the same day from the same vendor.....
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    the log shows that both of the transactions were sent by the bank! So somehow Quicken decided not to process the 2nd transaction created on the same day from the same vendor.....
    Were the 2 transactions for the same dollar amount? I seem to recollect Quicken assumes one of them is a duplicate if so.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    Hi, no the transactions were in different amounts.
  • Tom Young
    If you could post the two transactions as shown in the OFX file, indicating which was accepted by Quicken and which one was not, that might expose the problem.
  • steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <DTPOSTED>20201113090000
    <TRNAMT>-72.82
    <FITID>20201113090004
    <NAME>WM SUPERCENTER #3379 ORO VA

<TRNTYPE>
    <DTPOSTED>20201113090000
    <TRNAMT>-13.55
    <FITID>20201113090005

The one for 13.55 showed up as a transaction in Quicken. The one for 72.82 did not. The only differences are the $$ amounts and the FITID numbers.....
  • steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    By the way all the transactions showed the same DTPOSTED as do these two.
    And, even though it somehow didn't copy there was the DEBIT after the TRNTYPE on the 2nd
  • Tom Young
    This is very much a stab in the dark, but I'm puzzled by the lack of the "DEBIT" after the second TRNTYPE.  When you copied the transactions were you working directly on the "View OFX Log" window that popped up when you clicked on "OFX Log" hyperlink under Help, or did you save the OFX log as a text file, open the text file and copy from there?  (The straw I'm grasping at is that Quicken isn't seeing that "DEBIT", even though you can see it, because of some defect in the log file sent to you.)
    This could be a situation where contacting Quicken Support directly might be in order:
    https://www.quicken.com/support#windows  (scroll down and click "Talk to Support")

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your register?
    If you answer Yes, I suspect that the Accept process "sees" the first transaction and records it as a new transaction in your register. Then it "sees" the 2nd transaction and overlays the first one, mistakenly thinking that it now has a matching register transaction it should update instead of creating a 2nd new transaction.
    Try changing the settings for this account to NOT automatically accept transactions. Manually review all downloaded transactions and make corrections as needed. This should allow you to spot what Quicken is "thinking" about these transactions and designate it as another new transaction.
  • steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    UKR--I do not have automatic acceptance turned on. I always review each transaction before accepting. So, after this particular download when I looked at that account, the second transaction just wasn't there.
  • steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    Tom, the lack of the debit is just my ham-handed mouse work when I did the copy paste.....both of these transactions had the word debit....
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR--I do not have automatic acceptance turned on. I always review each transaction before accepting. So, after this particular download when I looked at that account, the second transaction just wasn't there.

In that case, I'm as puzzled as you are and my shot in the dark fizzled.
    I would have expected that both transactions would appear in the Downloaded Transactions window, because they are in the OFX log next to each other (I presume).
    Sounds to me like you should bring this issue up with  Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation
    Let them review the downloaded file for syntax errors and, failing that, forward the issue to the programmers, to review the program logic in this particular situation.
  • steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <DTPOSTED>20201113090000
    <TRNAMT>-72.82
    <FITID>20201113090004
    </STMTTRN>
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <DTPOSTED>20201113090000
    <TRNAMT>-13.55
    <FITID>20201113090005
    </STMTTRN>
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is suspect that there is something corrupted about that account.  Validate and repair may or may not help.

As a test if you edit the QFX file and change the ACCTID field to something else, and import that, it will want to create a new account in Quicken.  Allow it to do that and see if the transactions come in correctly.  If so I would recommend creating a new account, moving the transactions from the old one to the new own, and deleting the old one.  On your next update (using your unchanged old QFX file is fine) link it to this new account.  You might get duplicate transactions that you have to delete, but hopefully from then on you will be fine.

Here is how to move transactions between two accounts:
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken

BTW just so you know, I took your above transactions and put them an old QFX file and imported it and the two transactions were imported just fine.

Here is that QFX file.
    OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:NONE
    ENCODING:USASCII
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:NONE
    NEWFILEUID:NONE
    <OFX>
    <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
    <SONRS>
    <STATUS>
    <CODE>0
    <SEVERITY>INFO
    </STATUS>
    <DTSERVER>20110221120000[0:GMT]
    <LANGUAGE>ENG
    <FI>
    <ORG>ISC
    <FID>10898
    </FI>
    <INTU.BID>10898
    </SONRS>
    </SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
    <BANKMSGSRSV1>
    <STMTTRNRS>
    <TRNUID>1
    <STATUS>
    <CODE>0
    <SEVERITY>INFO
    <MESSAGE>Success
    </STATUS>
    <STMTRS>
    <CURDEF>USD
    <BANKACCTFROM>
    <BANKID>12324
    <ACCTID>12346
    <ACCTTYPE>CHECKING
    </BANKACCTFROM>
    <BANKTRANLIST>
    <DTSTART>20101118120000[0:GMT]
    <DTEND>20110218120000[0:GMT]
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <DTPOSTED>20201113090000
    <TRNAMT>-72.82
    <FITID>20201113090004
    </STMTTRN>
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <DTPOSTED>20201113090000
    <TRNAMT>-13.55
    <FITID>20201113090005
    </STMTTRN>
    </BANKTRANLIST>
    <LEDGERBAL>
    <BALAMT>1022.23
    <DTASOF>20110221120000[0:GMT]
    </LEDGERBAL>
    <AVAILBAL>
    <BALAMT>1022.23
    <DTASOF>20110221120000[0:GMT]
    </AVAILBAL>
    </STMTRS>
    </STMTTRNRS>
    </BANKMSGSRSV1>
    </OFX>

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • steve lease
    steve lease Member ✭✭
    Chris_QPW thanks for the insightful suggestions. I am considering how much work I want to do to fix this issue. Right now, it might happen every other month, and might mean I have to manually enter one or two transactions. This is a very minimal amount of effort. Creating a new account, which wouldn't be corrupt, would mean reviewing and deleting maybe six months of transactions. At some point, when the bank changes the account number AGAIN, I will have to do that. In the meantime, I think I can live with this issue. I did do the Validate and repair.

Thanks to all those other members here who took the time to respond. I learned about QFX log, which is interesting as I have been using Quicken for 30 years and never needed to know before.
This discussion has been closed.