Why can't I add a new security in Quicken?

I have searched for an answer, but none of the ones I found worked. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I entered a stock on my watch list - No problems - I then went to enter it into my Investment Account, and that's when the problem started.

Error - You already have a security with that name, please enter a different name.

I deleted the stock from my watch list and tried to add it via - Enter Transactions - same error.

I then carried out:
• Super Validate File
• Rebuild Investing Lots
• Correct Investing Price History – Repair and Delete and Repair

The result of the above:
• QDF: Validating your data. No errors.
• QEL: No read errors.
• QEL: All internal consistency checks passed.
• Repair price history: 0 price(s) repaired.
• Rebuilt investing lots - No out-of-range security references found.
• Super validation has completed.

From my Investment Account, I:
• Selected Enter Transactions
• Bought – Shares Bought was selected
• Selected Security Name option - Add Security
• Entered the symbol of the security and two (2) stocks came up
• I selected the one I wanted – Clicked on Next
• Option to Review the details – All correct
• Ticked “include on watch list” – Clicked on Next

The following error appeared:

You already have a security with that name, please enter a different name.
If you are trying to enter a transaction for this security, select your investment account from the Account List and choose Enter Transactions.

The Security is Not Hidden and it is not on my Watch List.

I am still unable to add a new security in Quicken.

ray_marrayts:
User of Quicken - Home & Business – Ver: R28.15 – Build: 27.1.28.15 - Canada
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - Version: 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    PLTR is traded on  the  NYSE, so unless the attempt is to add it to a CAD account ...  that's not the problem
    [EDIT] From prior threads, it appears that @ray_marrayts is running Q Canada from Australlia. 
    BUT PLTR is a NYSE security (i.e., denominated in USD)
    SO, you need to create a  USD  brokerage account and add it there.[/EDIT]

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to mimic your activity in my US version and didn't have a problem.  That is I added eBay as a security and it showed up on the Watch List, and then I bought eBay and Quicken didn't squawk. Have you tried deleting the security from the Security List and then attempting your Buy?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you try adding the security separate from the Enter Transactions process.  

What you indicate most likely relates to a security with a similar name or the same ticker.  I'd re-check the hidden security possibility, and also sort the security list by ticker to confirm its uniqueness.  I believe the Name check is only the first xxx number of characters (xxx=16?).  
  • ray_marrayts
    ray_marrayts Member ✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > I suggest you try adding the security separate from the Enter Transactions process.  
    >
    > What you indicate most likely relates to a security with a similar name or the same ticker.  I'd re-check the hidden security possibility, and also sort the security list by ticker to confirm its uniqueness.  I believe the Name check is only the first xxx number of characters (xxx=16?).  

@q_lurker thank you for your answer but it did not work. I tried adding the Stock via the Security List. I ticked the Download Quote option and left the Watch List and Hide options unticked.

I then tried to add the stock via Enter Transactions but it was not visible in the drop down list of Security.

For your information, the new stock starts with the letter P. I do not have any other stock starting with the letter P or even spelt in a similar way or the same ticker.

I have also checked for hidden entries, but I am confident that it is not hidden (well not that I know of as I have selected Show Hidden.
  • ray_marrayts
    ray_marrayts Member ✭✭
    > @Tom Young said:
    > I tried to mimic your activity in my US version and didn't have a problem.  That is I added eBay as a security and it showed up on the Watch List, and then I bought eBay and Quicken didn't squawk. Have you tried deleting the security from the Security List and then attempting your Buy?

@Tom Young thanks for your reply but it did not work. I have tried what you suggested but with no luck.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Security list,  what is shown in the "Type"  column adjacent to this stock?
    And, can you tell us the name of the stock, and its Ticker?  That would help in our research of the issue.

• ray_marrayts
    ray_marrayts Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > In the Security list,  what is shown in the "Type"  column adjacent to this stock?And, can you tell us the name of the stock, and its Ticker?  That would help in our research of the issue.

@NotACPA thank you for your reply. The stock is Palantir Technologies Inc - PLTR.

Type - Stock
    Asset Class - US Stocks
    Currency - US Dollars
    Download Quotes - Ticked
    Watch List - Ticked
    Hide - Not Ticked
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AHHHH.  A problem with semantics.  

You have successfully ADDED the security to Quicken.  It is in your security list.  It is in your watch list.  What you are having trouble doing is having that security become part of your portfolio as being held or owned in a Quicken brokerage account.

You were on the right track with the Enter Transactions /  Buy Shares sequence.  Where you went astray was then clicking arrow on the security name and selecting Add Security.  That took you off track. 

What you need to do is start typing the name of the security (or its ticker) into that Security Name box.  Then you can select the security from the drop down list and proceed with number of shares and cost information. 

HTH  
  • ray_marrayts
    ray_marrayts Member ✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > AHHHH.  A problem with semantics.  
    >
    > You have successfully ADDED the security to Quicken.  It is in your security list.  It is in your watch list.  What you are having trouble doing is having that security become part of your portfolio as being held or owned in a Quicken brokerage account.
    >
    > You were on the right track with the Enter Transactions /  Buy Shares sequence.  Where you went astray was then clicking arrow on the security name and selecting Add Security.  That took you off track. 
    >
    > What you need to do is start typing the name of the security (or its ticker) into that Security Name box.  Then you can select the security from the drop down list and proceed with number of shares and cost information. 
    >
    > HTH  

@q_lurker - if only things were that simple. Sorry to say, your answer did not work. The security (its ticker) was not on the drop down list. I have attached a screenshot of what came up in the drop down list once I typed the letter P.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you are trying to enter directly into the register.  Try going to the top and click on Enter Transaction.  You should be entering into a dialog box.  Don't know if that will help entering the security.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• ray_marrayts
    ray_marrayts Member ✭✭
    > @volvogirl said:
    > Looks like you are trying to enter directly into the register.  Try going to the top and click on Enter Transaction.  You should be entering into a dialog box.  Don't know if that will help entering the security.

@volvogirl thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion, but sadly, that too did not work. As you can see from the attachment, the Stock/Ticker does not appear on my drop down list.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could this be an issue of the currency for the security vs. the currency for the account? I believe USD securities can only be held in USD accounts.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • ray_marrayts
    ray_marrayts Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > Could this be an issue of the currency for the security vs. the currency for the account? I believe USD securities can only be held in USD accounts.

@Jim_Harman - Thanks for your reply - I have added AUD and GBP in the past. I just tried to add PLTR as a Canadian $ but still did not work.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    PLTR is traded on  the  NYSE, so unless the attempt is to add it to a CAD account ...  that's not the problem
    [EDIT] From prior threads, it appears that @ray_marrayts is running Q Canada from Australlia. 
    BUT PLTR is a NYSE security (i.e., denominated in USD)
    SO, you need to create a  USD  brokerage account and add it there.[/EDIT]

• jaxgab
    jaxgab Member ✭✭

One reason Quicken won't add your new security is that the security name is already found on your security list. For example, the ticker "RITM" will add a security named "Rithm Capital Corp", but trying to add ticker "RITM-B" in Quicken after that will fail because it is also named "Rithm Capital Corp". The solution?

Temporarily change the assigned name of ticker "RITM" in Quicken and then add ticker "RITM-B". You may want to change the names of tickers "RITM" and "RITM-B" in Quicken after that.