How to find transactions with specific categories? (Q Mac)

DonnaH
DonnaH Member ✭✭
Quicken for Mac subscription product shows a certain category as being used. When I search "All Transactions" for that category, nothing shows up. Does this mean that it's being used in a hidden account? If so, is there a way to make the search include hidden accounts without unhiding them?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited December 2020
    Hello @DonnaH,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Quicken > About Quicken

If you searched the category in All Transactions and spelled it identically to how it's spelled in your Category List, yet it still does not find it, then that would indicate that it's most likely being used in a hidden account. In which case, you would need to unhide the account in order to open its register and search for it.

Let us know if you have any further questions, thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken Anja No, that's incorrect. If you use Search and select All Transactions, Quicken Mac will search Hidden accounts. (Unless they are Separate Hidden accounts).

@DonnaH Where are you seeing that this particular category is being used? Are you sure it isn't a sub-category? (In Preferences > Register, you can select to "Display Long Names" to show the full category name in registers and reports.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DonnaH
    DonnaH Member ✭✭
    Thank you both. I worked around it and did some renaming, so I can't test now, but Jacob, I'm pretty sure they were top-level categories. I think, however, that they were Separate Hidden accounts, as this was a historical clean-up exercise, and most of my older accounts are both S & H.

Thank you both for you time :smile:
This discussion has been closed.