How to fix savings accts showing up in ALL Accts. ?All checking

oldngrmpy1
oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
When I go to the Account list > All Accounts > All Checking, the list of transactions includes Saving account transactions even though the setting in Account details shows the account as  'Savings".
What could I be missing in understanding why this is happening. I'm trying to find a "Work Around" for Datasets locking by trying to use "How do I merge 2 accounts into one" procedure in the community blog. Also that blog is closed, but if this work around could get fixed it would be a great  work around alternative in the effort to simulate merged accounts. Maybe someone could open the blog and give one more idea ( Using the above "All....) to seeing all CC transactions, Savings Transactions or Checking transactions once this problem I stated is fixed! It's so frustration when something doesn't work wee, you find might be a work around, and that too doesn't work well!!! When you customize the action it seems to work ok, but the intended use is NOT working well. So...a work around for the work around, for the merge problems in Datasets locking....WHY?

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TJ102 said:
    When I go to the Account list > All Accounts > All Checking, the list of transactions includes Saving account transactions even though the setting in Account details shows the account as  'Savings".
    I'm so confused -
    What version ...... --> Help --> About Quicken
    I had to add some whitespace to get at least one thought...
    SO... --> Account List --> All Accounts.... merely lists all your accounts, I don't see anything called "All Checking" -
    and this has nothing to do with a specific account and it's related transactions.
    Then we can move on to your other piggyback topics added in the same posting....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP probably means All Transactions instead of Account List. That gives you a menu to filter the results which includes All Checking. We'll have to wait for @TJ102 to confirm.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP probably means All Transactions instead of Account List. That gives you a menu to filter the results which includes All Checking. We'll have to wait for @TJ102 to confirm.
    Ahhhh.... On the left side - Under the top ACCOUNTS menu list -
    immediately under the blue menu bar -
    clicking on the .... ALL TRANSACTIONS

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth I wasn't able to reproduce this problem.  When I do it:
    All Transactions -> All Savings it only shows my savings accounts (same with other filters like All Checking, they work for me)

Looking at what is a "Checking", "Savings", ... account I see that those are set at the time that the account is created and can't be changed afterwards by the user.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Interesting..... I just did some playing with my own accounts.
    I have an Ally MM account - that is clearly setup as Account Type --> Checking...
    BUT... in the Account Details --> Display Options --> 
    pull down menu for Account Intent... it is --> Savings...
    as there is NO Checking, only Spending... doesn't seem to matter.
    I can only see my MM account in the All Transactions as Savings - go figure -
    So, maybe your account may be having the same identity crisis -
    BTW... to make it easy to follow, I went to each of the accounts, and FLAGGED a couple of transactions, and then in the All Transactions menu screen, I selected FLAGGED so I could see any of the accounts that would pop up as I changed the filtering criteria.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
    Interesting..... I just did some playing with my own accounts.
    I have an Ally MM account - that is clearly setup as Account Type --> Checking...
    BUT... in the Account Details --> Display Options --> 
    pull down menu for Account Intent... it is --> Savings...
    as there is NO Checking, only Spending... doesn't seem to matter.
    I can only see my MM account in the All Transactions as Savings - go figure -
    So, maybe your account may be having the same identity crisis -
    Display options isn't the same as the account type.  For this they are using the account type which is on the General tab of the Account Details.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Chris_QPW said:
    Display options isn't the same as the account type.  For this they are using the account type which is on the General tab of the Account Details.
    And... hence my playing - with the MM acct -
    as the Account Type => Checking,
    but only displays with All Transactions => Savings
    All Accounts - of course found the flagged transactions
    All Checking - not found
    All Savings - found
    All Cash - not found
    All CC - not found

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    My account type for that account shows Checking for some reason. I need to know how to change it to "Savings" is that option set by the CU or Quicken? I've sent msg to CU, but no answer yet, also sent to Qkn "Report Problem" who knows where that will go!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    TJ102 said:
    My account type for that account shows Checking for some reason. I need to know how to change it to "Savings" is that option set by the CU or Quicken? I've sent msg to CU, but no answer yet, also sent to Qkn "Report Problem" who knows where that will go!
    As I said above, you can't change the type once it is created.  The possible way to change it now would be to create an new account and move the transactions from the other account to it.
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken

ps56k said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    And... hence my playing - with the MM acct -
    as the Account Type => Checking,
    but only displays with All Transactions => Savings
    All Accounts - of course found the flagged transactions
    All Checking - not found
    All Savings - found
    All Cash - not found
    All CC - not found

Since this an MM account and it isn't showing up as an investment account I take it that it might be a linked checking account, right?

Well if that is the case those kinds of accounts have always been "strange" half in and half out kinds of accounts and I wouldn't be surprised at anything that doesn't work the same with them.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope - just a straight MM acct - with the Account Type as CHECKING

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    What a joke!  I filled my datasets trying to merge 2 CC Accounts, now I'm looking for a work around for that since that is screwed up, now the work around is screwed up too. My wife is having a fit because I've been "living" working on Quicken the past 2 weeks, just trying to get the basic Quicken account transactions to work. I've almost decided my sanity is worth more to me than this!!!
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm REALLY tired of this Quicken **!  Does anyone have Tony Tamer, or Brian Schultz email address handy? If not I'll find it or send a snail mail letter! Maybe one of them can tell me what the problems is or help me fix it!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Sorry you have encountered so many issues, and have posted them all together in one paragraph.
    - The All Transactions listing - with maybe a glitch/bug between Checking vs Savings
    - The mention of - Datasets locking - but don't really know what you mean
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884489/datasets-full#latest
    - Merge two accts - again, a specific issue with some easy actions avail
    - Community Blog - don't know what you mean - unless you mean the Support website or this Community forum
    Quicken is both a simple & complex financial tracking system.  It is also both fragile and robust, with some glitches.  It never helps to discover a small issue, and then beat on it with a hammer.... .

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    ps56k, I tried merging accounts...I tried several times, only to lead me to My Datasets locked full, so I cannot restore files anymore, period, no fixes, no work arounds, I cannot do a file restore (or a cloud sync) without it locking me out, and having to call support, then escalate to next level to reset every time, from now on...!  I've been told there is no fix!  So I went to #1 on your list above. I tried to go to Accounts, All Accounts, All CC accounts. Thought that could be a work around for Merging Accts, but mostly not doable for almost 20 years of transactions. I took it upon myself to find what looked like a work around to pull only CC accounts, only to find out that there is saving accounts in the CC Accounts mix also. So the Merge didn't work, or what looked to be the All CC accounts option doesn't work like it should either. That in itself describes laughable Quicken in a nut shell! I think the 'Community" is self explanatory, as I only know one thing when someone says community, yes the forum. after 20 years of using Quicken, I'm well versed on having issues, then having to deal with work arounds because Quicken doesn't work as designed. The frustrations come in when the work arounds don't work either and you have to then find a work around for the work around that doesn't work! It's actually comical at this point. Maybe if I run these issues all the way up the flagpole some eyes may be opened down here on the ground where the rubber meets the road! My wife has begged for years to stop using Quicken. She almost called the cops on me the other day because she saw me downstairs, and though there was a stranger in the house. So to appease her I just stay up late at night trying to navigate through Quicken trying to get all the things they put into it to work jn it's basic form.  Usually go to bed about 2 or 3 am. She constantly asking me: what are you doing up there, then she says never mind, I know ...it's Quicken. Over the years I could have saved time doing a paper ledger of my expenses, and in 20 years I could have spent less time than working with Quicken with all it's issues, and it's supposed to be a time saver. Ironically, I only use it as a checkbook register, and to do reports. I don't use it for bill pay, I don't use Mobile and Web, I most certainly would never put all my Investment out  there for Quicken to manage, as they can't even get or keep the basic Quicken up and or working properly. There are Sooo many holes I find, on a daily basis. The program was designed and set-up, but when someone finds an issue Qkn tells you to put it up for a vote, and if enough people vote for it it will be put on a list to be considered to be fixed. What?? Why did product development design Quicken quicken and it's features, if there was no intent to make them work properly, of fix them when they break. I must be missing something here as I just CAN"T understand that mindset! the other thing. Loook at how many Community posts there are about issues or problems...there's thousands, does anyone ever ask why, why so many community posts for issues?. Funny thing is I pay for a yearly subscription for Quicken Deluxe, only to use as a Checkbook register, but when I bring up a problem it's considered petty...as Quicken has bigger fish to fry, with Investments, bill pay, etc, but I pay just as much as the folks using those expensive resources, their problems and issues are working on immediately, but my problems that have been in existence for years with Quicken are quietly being worked on and fixed. Well I vote with my dollars. My dollar has a Lincoln on it just like all those using Quicken with all those other features. Well changes are coming my friend, and I'll be one of the first to bail! In the mean time I will keep voting with my dollars, and keep expecting Quicken to help me to fix the problems I have too! I can be a very squeeky wheel, and until I get some satisfaction from the $50 a year I give them for the product they have complete over, my squeek will continue to get louder until they realize my dollar spend jsut as well as all the other subscribers too. Also in looking through all the documentation, which is a mess, I found a procedure for merging files that was written in 2017, now there's new one out that was written on how to merge files. Do they even know there are 2 out there, or if the old one is outdated/ I challenge you just to find those two articles! good luck! And that's why I am were I am !
This discussion has been closed.