change one account to another?

How do I change an investment from one account to another? I am using Q. Deluxe on a win 10 computer.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    One way to do this would be to set up the new (empty) account in Quicken, then go to the old account, click on Enter Transactions, and use the Shares transferred between accounts action to move the shares from the old account to the new.

This will enter one Removed in the old account and one Added for each tax lot in the new account, thus preserving the cost basis. If there are a lot of tax lots due to reinvestments, this may take some time

Be sure to back up your data file first, in case the result is not what you expected..
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends what happened in the real world.  Did you actually transfer the shares or do a sell and buy?  Or just entered it in the wrong account?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• taychen
    taychen Member ✭✭
    I actually transferred the shares from one account to another.
    Thanks for getting back so quick!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @taychen

Thank you for your response and the additional details.

If you have not done so already, I would take a moment to review the steps and information available here.

Please let us know if these steps help to complete the transfer of shares.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • taychen
    taychen Member ✭✭
    I actually had 5 different stocks (with all dividends reinvested, since 1995 at least, at one company). I would like to move the whole lot over to another account on my computer.
  • Jim_Harman
    When you say "another account on my computer" is that another account in the same Quicken file, or do you want to move them to a different Quicken file?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OR did you simply change brokerage firms, and moved all of the securities, as securities, to the new brokerage?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• taychen
    taychen Member ✭✭
    yes, I moved ALL of the shares (they only moved whole shares and left the non-zero balance, which firm 1 wrote a check for, I've not received yet). They left some shares there which I got as an employee over 20 years ago I need to talk to them about that.
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    One way to do this would be to set up the new (empty) account in Quicken, then go to the old account, click on Enter Transactions, and use the Shares transferred between accounts action to move the shares from the old account to the new.

This will enter one Removed in the old account and one Added for each tax lot in the new account, thus preserving the cost basis. If there are a lot of tax lots due to reinvestments, this may take some time

Be sure to back up your data file first, in case the result is not what you expected..
  • taychen
    taychen Member ✭✭
    Jim, sorry I didn't get back right away. I'll try your approach today, let you know if I could make it work. I have records back to 1952, 4 times a month.