How do I restore a Quicken Essentials backup file to a new Quicken Starter Mac version?

Hi there!
I recently bought the new Quicken Starter Version and I’m having trouble on restoring a Quicken Essentials backup.
I used Quicken essentials for about ten years now and have a huge amount of data I cannot afford to loose.
I have tried all the steps advised and still can’t solve this.
I have a backup file made in quicken Essentials and I have the latest updated version.
I opened the new Quicken version, selected “Restore from backup…” and after following all the following steps I always get an error message: “An error occurred during persistent migration.”
I no longer have my old Mac and can’t install Essentials back again, but I do have my quicken essentials backup file.
What can I do? Please help me solve this.
Thank you.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't know if there are any limitations with Quicken Starter, but with other levels of Quicken, you would not restore from backup. Go to File > New and select Start from Quicken Essentials file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Hi! Thanks for the alternative. I just tried Go to File > New and select Start from Quicken Essentials file, but unfortunately the error is the same: "An error occurred during persistent migration.” Could be something to do with the extension of the file? (.quickenbackup)
  • jacobs
    There's an old post here which talks about this error. Unfortunately, the old screenshots are missing, but you can read through and see if any of the suggestions work for you.
  • Thanks again for ht help. Still none of the solutions works... And the error stands the same: "An error occurred during persistent migration.” I'm also having difficulties in finding an email on Quickensupport. I think the community could be very helpful, but since I paid money for this update shouldn't I have assistance by an expert support team? How can I contact them? There's an option @ the bottom of QuickenHelp Page - Contact Support/Get free expert help from our Quicken/Customer Support team - but I click it but nothing happens, doesn't work... :/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken Support:

• The phone number can be found at the support website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018+ Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• jacobs
    @tomalajonas In order to use the Support option at the bottom of that page, make sure you set your browser to allow pop-up windows. The web page is poorly designed to require pop-up windows, which some browsers block. If you're using Safari, for instance, go to the Quicken Support page, on the Safari menu select Settings for This Website, and set Pop-Up Windows to Allow.

Chat support is available around the clock, but phone support is only available Monday-Friday, 8 am - 8 pm Eastern time.

I hope they can figure out a way to get your data. Since Quicken Essentials isn't supported, I'm not sure how much help they can provide, but it's certainly worth trying. 

Do you have any other backups of your data file from Essentials (e.g. the live data file rather than the .backup file?) Did you have a Time Machine backup of your old Mac's hard drive? I'm just exploring if there's anything other than this one backup file available to try to work with.
This discussion has been closed.