Can't create a rental property.

Options
When I run the Tax Report, I get an error for one of my properties and I can't fix it because when I try to create a rental property, it won't create the tag to be a Rental or Property tag. It only allows tag type Other.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @ssickler,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a follow-up response yet.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

First, I suggest you create a copy of your data file to rebuild all internal lists and database tables (this does not affect your data within the file). Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps, just in case.
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 9) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @ssickler

Can you tell us which versions of both Quicken and Windows you are running?
    And, how many properties do you currently have in Quicken?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• ssickler
    ssickler Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have 12 properties with tags of type Property, two with tags of type Business, and 19 of type other. 4 of the properties have been sold.
    I have 17 accounts of type Property and Debt.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @ssickler

Thank you for the response and additional details. To help the Community better understand your issue, can you please capture a screenshot of the initial error message?

To share your screenshots with the Community, please drag the images to the comment box. This will attach the images to the comment.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • ssickler
    ssickler Member ✭✭
    Options
    Here is a copy of the Tax Summary Report and the Tax Schedule Report. Both show an error on the rental tagged One Hampton. The error is because the tag One Hampton is type other instead of type Property.
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @ssickler,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a follow-up response yet.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

First, I suggest you create a copy of your data file to rebuild all internal lists and database tables (this does not affect your data within the file). Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps, just in case.
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 9) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• ssickler
    ssickler Member ✭✭
    Options
    I would have said that I had tried this at least twice before. However, I am desperate, so I followed your instructions TO THE LETTER, and it worked. After I did what you suggested, I went in and created a rental property and it worked straight off. Thank you so much.

By any chance is there anyway to create a tag for a rental property when you just create a tag. That is, you click on Tools, and then Tag List and from there create a new tag for a rental property.

In any case, I am very happy now.
    Sheldon
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    Thanks for the update! I'm happy to hear that worked for you. :)

As for Rental Property tags, there isn't a way to specifically assign Rental Property to the tag type as all tags are saved under type Other by default and does not have the option to change that. However, you do have the option to add a Copy Number to each tag which is specifically meant for Rental Properties. Please, refer to the screenshot below for a more in-depth explanation of its use.

You can also find this page by clicking Tell me more next to the Copy Number's entry box when creating a new tag.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.