Exclude Categories / Tags from Reports (Q Mac) (+3 Merged Votes)

Options
PapaUniform
PapaUniform Member
edited October 2023 in Reports

It would be great to have the ability to EXCLUDE specific categories and tags from reports, as opposed to having to select which specific categories/tags I want to INCLUDE. Most often, my reports show details of almost all my categories/tags, but I want to remove just one or two (Irregular or Yearly expenses, say). To do so, I have to create a report, select all options, and then filter through and uncheck the categories/tags I want to exclude. This works, except:

1.) It is not easy to quickly see which categories/tags are excluded, because the report lists all of the included categories/tags, which is often in the 50-100 range.

2.) If I create a new category/tag, I have to remember to edit my reports to include those because they are not automatically included in existing reports.

On the report edit page, one more radio button such as "Include all transactions except those with selected categories" alongside the existing "Include transactions with any category" and "Include only transactions with selected categories" would be perfect. And similar for tags.

12 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• belvis
    belvis Member
    Options
    I have another use case for this idea.

In my example, I have a tag "Receipt" which I use to track transactions that have some kind of paper receipt as a backup. I want to generate a report that shows the transactions that lack this tag, so that as I am matching receipts to transactions, I am only looking at a list of candidate transactions; as I go on and add this tag to various transactions, the report would get smaller and smaller, making it easier to go through the remaining transactions and match them to receipts.

Without this ability, I have to do something like generate a report (maybe based on date range, a set of categories, etc.), then as I go through the receipts, I have to scan through this (potentially long) report for the transaction I'm interested in. All of the transactions that already have the Receipt tag are noise, and make the search harder.

Having the ability to generate a report that excludes the Receipt tag would also help me have a sense of how many transactions I have (and the total dollar amount) that I'm missing receipts for.
  • abrown78
    abrown78 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I've seen this idea submitted before, but adding it again to bump.

Being able to include/exclude categories works pretty well, but sometimes there are transactions that I don't want to see in a particular report and I'm stuck recategorizing them to something other than what they are in order to exclude them.

If we had the ability to EXCLUDE a given tag though, this would be dirt simple.

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2023
    Options

@abrown78 There is no "Exclude Tags" feature, but there is the Tags tab on report set-up, when're you can simply click Select All and then uncheck the one or few tags you want to exclude. Pretty close to dirt simple, I think. 😉

[Merged Post]

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Rusty Ninja
    Rusty Ninja Member ✭✭
    Options

I am also missing the ability to exclude from a report transactions with a specific tag. Unchecking a tag's checkbox in the current "Transactions by Tag" report menu doesn't prevent a transaction from being captured because of other tags that it has been assigned.

• Rusty Ninja
    Rusty Ninja Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

@jacobs Your suggestion doesn't resolve the need for an Exclude Tag feature. Unchecking a tag's checkbox in the current "Transactions by Tag" report menu doesn't prevent a transaction from being captured because of other tags that it has been assigned.

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Rusty Ninja You're correct. I don't use tags extensively enough to run into that situation, but I can now understand why you'd want to be able to explicitly exclude transactions with a certain tag. That would require another level of complexity in the report selection dialog which the developers haven't yet created anywhere int he program (the ability to do compound/complex Searches or Report criteria).

I think the only workaround at this time is running a report, exporting it to a CSV file, and then using your preferred spreadsheet program to further search for and remove transactions containing the tag you don't want. It's not an elegant solution, to be sure, but it should get you there.

[Merged Post]

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • eric777
    eric777 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

+1 for this feature!

[Merged Post]