Is it possible to change the currency of a security?

Hi, my 20-year-old Quicken data file seems to have gotten corrupted, because it's doing strange things. the latest: I have a US dollar account with several mutual funds in it, all of them USD funds, obviously. recently quicken changed one of the funds from USD to EUR (I have other accounts that are EUR). And it won't let me change it back; the currency of the security is visible but grayed out when I try to edit the security details. The EUR fund shows up in the account holdings list, but I'm unable to do any transactions with the security, like record dividend payments. Any suggestions?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ClovisInParis

Can you tell us which versions of both Quicken and Windows you are currently running?  For the US currency mutual fund account - please give us the financial institution's name and tell us which method do you use for downloading (Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, or Web Connect)?

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Hi Frankx, thanks for you quick reply. I'm using Quicken Deluxe 2020 R30.14, and Windows 10 Home. The account is a Vanguard account, and I'm connecting via Direct Connect. thanks again.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ClovisinParis,

The direct connect method is Quicken's most reliable connection method, and I haven't seen any technical issues involving Vanguard connections recently. So I think that, given that this change has occurred recently and without any other signs of problems, you should try validating (and then possibly super validating, your Quicken data file.  Here is a link to that troubleshooting regimen - LINK

Once you've completed these processes. let us know the results.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Hi Frankx, tried validating the file again (I had done this a couple of times in November when I had another problem, with Quicken not being able to link my account on the Raymond James website with the correct account in my Quicken file) and no luck. still have the same problem. I created a test file and added the vanguard account and the fund shows up correctly as a USD fund. I'm open to other suggestions! thanks and happy holidays.
    Phil
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ClovisInParis

Thank you for the response and the additional detail. If you have not done so already, I would try restoring a backup from prior to the issue occurring.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

As this works as it should it a test file, it would appear that this issue is stemming from the current file and does not appear to be a download or connectivity issue.

Please let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Hi Tyka, no luck with this. I tried restoring both from Dropbox and from automatic backups; in both cases, I chose a file from before the last transaction I had entered for that fund, back when I could still enter them, so presumably from when the fund showed as USD. In both cases, when I looked at the fund in the restored files, it showed as being in EUR and I couldn't enter any transactions. I'm open to other ideas. thanks.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @ClovisInParis

Sorry to hear that your problem is persisting.  I would suggest that you go back further in time in restoring a backup.  I would try this several times until you find a file that doesn't have these issues.

Frankx

• Thanks, I'm thinking it might be easier to delete the fund entirely and then add it back manually. i haven't owned it that long, so there won't be too many transactions to input.
  • ClovisInParis
    ClovisInParis Member ✭✭
    One more note: I just updated via Direct Connect. The fund in question paid a dividend and, bizarrely, Quicken entered the transaction properly. this didn't happen in November, the last time it paid a dividend; so that transaction is still missing, and, as noted above, I can't enter it manually because the fund is still showing as EUR.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can hold EUR denominated securities in a EUR investment account.  You can't hold USD (or any other currency) securities in that account.
    Same is true the other direction.  A USD security must be in a USD account,  and no EUR securities can be in that account in  Q
    SO, if you hold both USD and EUR securities, you need 2 accounts in Q to accomplish that.  1 in USD and 1 in EUR.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• ClovisInParis
    ClovisInParis Member ✭✭
    Thanks NotACPA, the problem is a that I had a USD fund in a USD account, and Quicken went and changed the fund to EUR somehow. It's some kind of bug/file corruption issue. Trying to figure out if I can change the fund back to USD, and the answer seems to be no. I tried restoring an earlier version of the file, from before the problem, but that didn't work either.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    From what I see, as soon as you enter any transactions using that security it lock the currency.  The only way to "unlock" it would be to get rid of the transactions that go with that security.

So given that a bug changed the currency, I don't see any way to fix it without major disruption to the transactions.  Like exporting them using QIF and deleting them and then importing again.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.