Problems with Bank of America downloads

Levinoah
Levinoah Member ✭✭
I'm having trouble downloading transactions from one of my accounts at Bank of America. I have quicken connect set up for the account and a few weeks ago it just stopped being able to download new transactions. Particularly quirky factors: 1) I have had no issues with my wife's account at the same institution and 2) quicken seems to be correctly tracking the account's balance in "online balance" even while not keeping up with the transactions, thus throwing off "today's balance" and all of the budgeting and reporting tools that make quicken useful. Anyone had similar problems?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Levinoah,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Quicken > About Quicken

Also, aside from the account not updating, are you receiving any error codes and/or messages when attempting to download transactions or does it falsely indicate that the update was successful?

Please, check back and let us know!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Levinoah
    Levinoah Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Anja" said:
    > Hello @Levinoah,
    >
    > Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.
    >
    > Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?* Quicken > About Quicken
    >
    > Also, aside from the account not updating, are you receiving any error codes and/or messages when attempting to download transactions or does it falsely indicate that the update was successful?
    >
    > Please, check back and let us know!

Hi Anja,

I'm running Quicken Deluxe 2020 Version 5.18.2 (Build 518.35919.100)

I receive neither an error message nor a confirmation; it's almost as if I never attempted the update. Even though I attempted to update just now, it still says "last attempt 12/30/2020" with a timestamp, which I think was the last time I worked around this problem using web-connect.

Thanks for looking into this
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the additional information.

Could you please open your account register and navigate to the bottom-right corner and click on the Settings gear. Once in Settings, towards the top of the page click on the Downloads tab. There it should tell you your financial institution name, and which connection type you are using to download transactions (see example below).

Could you please tell me which financial institution shows it's connected to (exactly how it's written) and which connection type it's using to connect?

Let us know what you find.

-Quicken Anja

• Levinoah
    Levinoah Member ✭✭
    My setting screen looks a little different than yours--I've attached a screenshot here so that we don't lose anything in transcription.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thanks for providing the screenshot! That setting screen is the old screen which makes sense since you mentioned you are running 5.18.2.

Before trying any further troubleshooting - Please navigate to Quicken > Check for updates and see if you are prompted to install the latest version 6.0.3. Once it's been installed try downloading transactions again and see if the new update release made a difference.

Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• Levinoah
    Levinoah Member ✭✭
    The newest updates aren't compatible with the OS on my machine, and I'd rather not install a new OS without further troubleshooting. I doubt that this is the locus of the problem, anyway, because the same problem occurs when I try to update through "Quicken on the Web"
  • Quicken Anja
    Got it! No worries then, that's no problem at all, I understand.

In that case then, to continue troubleshooting, if you haven't already, I recommend re-establishing a clean connection for your account with BofA. Please, follow the steps below in order to do so.

First, please check and make sure you do not have any hidden accounts that may be connected to this same financial institution and account number.
    1. Go to the Accounts menu and choose Hide and Show Accounts
    2. Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution that are checked as hidden in Lists
    After that, please follow the troubleshooting instructions below.
    1. Deactivate all accounts associated with this financial institution and that use the same login credentials (if they aren't already deactivated as well as any accounts that were previously hidden if there were any)
    2. Quit Quicken
    3. Open Finder and navigate to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app
    4. On the left panel in the Keychain Access app, set the Keychains to Login and the Category to Passwords
    5. Search for the financial institution's name (Bank of America) in the top-right search field and delete any entries that are found showing "Quicken password for [your financial institution username] at [financial institution name] " (Please Note: If you have accounts with BofA under different usernames, be sure to only delete the entries using the username you are experiencing issues with)
    6. Quit the Keychain Access app and reopen Quicken
    7. Go to Accounts > New and choose the appropriate account type for the accounts that you previously deactivated (if there are more than one account type then choose Checking)
    8. At the bottom of the window showing the list of the financial institutions, click on the "My bank is not listed" question mark icon, then click Update List
    9. Wait for the list to finish updating and Updated: " displays the current date.
    10. Click the Show List button to continue
    11. Use the search field at the top of the list to find and select your financial institution (Bank of America) and click the grey Options button on the bottom-right
    12. Make sure Quicken Connect is selected and click Continue
    13. Follow the prompts to sign in using your login credentials associated with your financial institution
    14. If the accounts have been found successfully - use the dropdown menus to link each account to the appropriate account in Quicken
    Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Levinoah
    Levinoah Member ✭✭
    I did everything according to the instructions. At step 13, after entering my login credentials including 2-factor authentication, I received the error message in the attached screenshot
  • Craig Marlowe
    Craig Marlowe Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue. I have Quicken 2021, Version R32.10 Build 27.1.32.10 It is working for all of my other BofA accounts. I do not get an error message. I do see the message "Upgrade to Direct Connect You need a Direct connect login to use this service"
  • Craig Marlowe
    Craig Marlowe Member ✭✭
    I found my answer under another Quicken discussion:

First, please save a backup before following the next step.

Please hold down F4 and selecting Help > About Quicken and provide the connection method being used. FDS or QCS?

Once you have made a note of the Connection Channel, please choose "Change Channel."

Once the Channel has been changed, please attempt to update once more and let us know the results.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Craig Marlowe I'm just noting for anyone reading this thread that the original questions were about Quicken Mac, and your resolution is for Quicken Windows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Levinoah
    Levinoah Member ✭✭
    Also, the original issue turned out to be the result of BofA trying to reduce traffic by limiting quicken downloads to compensate for all the extra log-ins while people were checking for their stimulus checks.
  • evonderheyden
    evonderheyden Member ✭✭
    @Craig Marlowe - It worked! After trying various suggestions from multiple threads, this one worked for me. I changed the channel from QCS to FDS and I can once again download transactions from BOA. I have no idea what it means or if there will be other consequences of changing the channel but I made a backup just in case. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.