Is there a way to 'merge' two quicken files into one quicken file?

Scott M
Scott M Member ✭✭
Hi Am wondering of there is a way to combine two separate Quicken files into one file, where the separate accounts in each file are maintained as individual accounts in the combined file. When I looked into this in the past it was not a simple process. Perhaps there is a way to do this now? One thought that occurs to me is if I could import the transactions into an account. I do want to maintain/retain cost basis info and transaction dates. I have Quicken Premier 2020 R30.19 for Windows. Any suggestons you have would be apprecaiated. Thank you.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get yourself a large supply of caffeine if you are going to do either of these processes, you will need it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Scott M
    Scott M Member ✭✭
    Thanks for sending Splasher and Sherlock. Man those all seem complex.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott M said:
    … Man those all seem complex.
    You are correct, that is why we suggest to never do year-end-copy or start new data files every years.
    My data file goes back to 1996.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Scott M
    Scott M Member ✭✭
    I'm thinking the best way to get the accounts moved may be to: 1. export transactions an account at a time; create a new (empty) account in the receiving file; and then 3. import the transactions into that new account. What are the cons of that approach? will my transaction dates and cost basis be retained?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In some ways moving data from one data file to another is more complex than even moving all the data from one data file to a new data file.

The biggest problem you are going to run into is the transfers.

When people talking about merging data files there are a lot of possible combinations.  Like the account being in both files, but part in one, but not in the other "Year End Copy".  And there cases where they want to move one account and forget that it is "connected" to another account through a transfer.

If an account is truly independent, then it is usually trivial to move it from one data file to another using QIF (up to the limitations of that syntax).  QIF format doesn't keep track of security lots so active options and such don't work, and everything becomes "first in first out".

Quicken has never had a good system for matching transfers during a QIF import.  And Quicken Subscription has made that even worse with removing some of the options/processing of QIF imports.

I think that my approach to doing this for a data file to new data file might still be the best option.  And that is to change the transfers into regular categories so that Quicken won't even touch them.  It means they won't be "linked", but the "double entry book accounting" still applies since you would have offsetting deposit/withdraw categories in the two accounts.
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.