How can I delete an row in an account that appears to be corrupt?

I have been using Quicken since the 1990s, and I have never seen this issue. Recently, several of my banking accounts show a corrupt entry. The entry shows today's date, but if I click on the date, it shows something like "8/89/14656". Once I click on this row, I cannot get out of it. Quicken keeps asking me to enter a valid date. I tried everything, I cannot delete this row. Please help.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    If this is a non-investment account, you could try selecting a range of transactions and delete them.
    Click on the transaction above the bad transaction, then hold down the SHIFT key while clicking on the transactions below the bad transaction.  That should high-light the three transactions and if you right-click on either the first or last transaction and select "Delete transactions".
    No guarantee that it will work, but it is a possible solution.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• famar01
    famar01 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for trying. But that did not work.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• famar01
    famar01 Member ✭✭
    OK. You set me on the right track. So thank you. What worked is selecting the entries from the one above all the way to the end, then deleting everything. Even then, the bad entry was still there. But now, it is the last entry in the register. Applying CTRL+D one more time got rid of it.
  • famar01
    famar01 Member ✭✭
    Sadly, I must report that the fix was only temporary. After closing and restarting Quicken a couple of times, the issue came back.
    I could not follow the solution that UKR proposed because Quicken would not save a copy of the file. I tried File --> File Operations --> Copy ... with and without CTRL+SHIFT. In both cases, I got a message stating that the file did not copy.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You posted the problem but no Quicken information. When posters post exactly what they are running, perhaps others having your Version can post in with ideas.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I could not follow the solution that UKR proposed because Quicken would not save a copy of the file. I tried File --> File Operations --> Copy ... with and without CTRL+SHIFT. In both cases, I got a message stating that the file did not copy."
    The inability to make a copy using that process usually means the file is corrupted beyond repair.  You might try giving Quicken support a call
    to see if they have any suggestions.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a recent backup to restore?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.