Quicken R31.6 - not starting on QDF file, Windows is trying to reinstall

jhammitt54
jhammitt54 Member ✭✭
:( After update to 31.6 could not open QDF file. applied mondo patch QW27.1.31.6MPatch, same problem. Workaround is to open Quicken from system menu. Rebooting does not change this. Mondo patch indicated that it was updating Quicken "R1" ... definitely was 31.6. Please fix. Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yes the issue is basically that the install is failing and in doing so the associations with .QFX, .QDF, .QDF-Backup have been wiped out and as such Windows doesn't know the right program to open these file types.  Instead it is trying to open them with Internet Explorer.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    You should be able to reset the file type association by right-clicking on the file, select Open With...,  Quicken, and check Always use this app....  If Quicken doesn't appear as an app, select More Apps and Look for another app on this PC, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken and select qw.exe.

Answers

• Craig Vorwald
    Craig Vorwald Member ✭✭✭
    I see there is an open issue with importing QFX files with a message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network drive that is currently not available." I also get this message if you double-click a Quicken Backup File. Don't think that is correct...
    Quicken user since 1995...
  • kpherzog
    kpherzog Member ✭✭
    I have this same problem, beginning today 1-23-2021 7AM PST
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yes the issue is basically that the install is failing and in doing so the associations with .QFX, .QDF, .QDF-Backup have been wiped out and as such Windows doesn't know the right program to open these file types.  Instead it is trying to open them with Internet Explorer.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    You should be able to reset the file type association by right-clicking on the file, select Open With...,  Quicken, and check Always use this app....  If Quicken doesn't appear as an app, select More Apps and Look for another app on this PC, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken and select qw.exe.
  • KevinC99
    KevinC99 Member
    New to the community and it would appear I'm having a similar type of issue... Quicken Windows working fine yesterday, today when I double-click on QDF file a dialog box opens up saying "Please Wait While Windows Configures Quicken". It then appears to start an install and then another dialog box opens saying "There are Quicken components currently open and can not be uninstalled. Please close Quicken and try uninstalling again"... Any thoughts on what's going on and how to fix?
  • KevinC99
    KevinC99 Member
    version number is R31.5
  • jhammitt54
    jhammitt54 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Sherlock! I haven't seen that happen that way before, but Chris answered with the technical trail. Whew! I am glad it was an easy fix! Thanks to all!
  • Kevin Miller
    Kevin Miller Member ✭✭✭
    Tried the "open with..." and it didn't work. It still tries running the installer. I think there must be something left over from the recent update.
This discussion has been closed.