Rollovers from 2020 to 2021

Is it usual for every category to rollover it's excess (or loss) from 2020 to 2021? We have a bunch of categories set up to rollover but I didn't think they would rollover from Dec 2020 to Jan 2021. I guess I learn something new every day! :) So do other's just zero out their budget status rollover amounts (under the monthly graph view) to start January with zero rollover (unless they want the category to rollover from Dec to Jan)?

Answers

• Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    I also noticed that the budget categories rollover their balances into the next year. I wish that they would not do this, or that there was an option to select to stop this behavior. Most people start their budgets fresh each year. I had to go through each and every budget category in my 2020 budget, and turn off the rollover, in order to "reset" it for my 2021 budget. I couldn't find any other way to correct this.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    When we push the a budget into new year, we should be prompted with the following options:

If we wait until the new year begins, we get the default option.  To coerce Quicken into showing the option box, set the system's date to 2020 and restore a Quicken file backup saved prior to viewing the 2021 budget.
  • JJNCN
    JJNCN Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > When we push the a budget into new year, we should be prompted with the following options:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If we wait until the new year begins, we get the default option.  To coerce Quicken into showing the option box, set the system's date to 2020 and restore a Quicken file backup saved prior to viewing the 2021 budget.

> @Sherlock said:
    > When we push the a budget into new year, we should be prompted with the following options:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If we wait until the new year begins, we get the default option.  To coerce Quicken into showing the option box, set the system's date to 2020 and restore a Quicken file backup saved prior to viewing the 2021 budget.

So starting 2021's budget in 2020 would have eliminated our rollover problem?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    JJNCN said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    >
    >
    >
    >

> @Sherlock said:
    >
    >
    >
    >

So starting 2021's budget in 2020 would have eliminated our rollover problem?
    If you wanted to select either of the non-default options, then yes.  
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Sherlock said:
    When we push the a budget into new year, we should be prompted with the following options:

If we wait until the new year begins, we get the default option.  To coerce Quicken into showing the option box, set the system's date to 2020 and restore a Quicken file backup saved prior to viewing the 2021 budget.

I did start my 2021 budget well before the new year. I selected the first option, Copy 2020 budget categories and budget values to 2021.
    I still have the problem with the budget rollovers going into 2021.....
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    For rollovers from December of the previous year in to January, I go to Annual View, Details pulldown,  then click on the January balance figure for the desired category showing a rollover icon.  In the new dialog, I zero-out the January rollover amount.  Image.

FWIW, I always create the next year's budget BEFORE the end of the year using the dialog @Sherlock shows.  Its a time saver.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Roger M said:
    Sherlock said:

I did start my 2021 budget well before the new year. I selected the first option, Copy 2020 budget categories and budget values to 2021.
    You chose the default option.
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    For rollovers from December of the previous year in to January, I go to Annual View, Details pulldown,  then click on the January balance figure for the desired category showing a rollover icon.  In the new dialog, I zero-out the January rollover amount.  Image.

FWIW, I always create the next year's budget BEFORE the end of the year using the dialog @Sherlock shows.  Its a time saver.

It looks like you would need to do that for each budget category. That is what I am trying to avoid.
    AND, I DID start my 2021 budget well before the start of the new year. I selected the first option, Copy 2020 budget categories and budget values to 2021.
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    Roger M said:
    Sherlock said:

You chose the default option.

I was presented with 3 options when I started my new 2021 budget on Dec 28.. None of them are labeled as "default". I think that the rollover issue is something that Quicken should fix.
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @Roger M   Correct, you would do this for each of the categories that had a rollover set.     Here is an idea from some time ago that requested an option to prevent the rollover on a budget level, rather than category.   Consider voting.   https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7185680/remove-budget-rollover-balance-year-to-year-how-to-and-idea-2-legacy-votes#latest

I noticed that Quicken recently added this option (image) 
     in the rollover icon menu.  Perhaps this is the default that was referenced above.  Still, it operates at the category level.  Haven't tried it yet...

• Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Roger M   Correct, you would do this for each of the categories that had a rollover set.     Here is an idea from some time ago that requested an option to prevent the rollover on a budget level, rather than category.   Consider voting.   https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7185680/remove-budget-rollover-balance-year-to-year-how-to-and-idea-2-legacy-votes#latest

I noticed that Quicken recently added this option (image) 
     in the rollover icon menu.  Perhaps this is the default that was referenced above.  Still, it operates at the category level.  Haven't tried it yet...

Thanks Scooterlam! I voted for it. Yes, I saw that option when I was trying to figure out how to reset the rollover amounts. Unfortunately, yes, it still operates on a per category basis.
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I only budget for the year, not monthly, so I set the yearly budget value in January only. I tried using Rollovers but they didn't seem to work right, probably because they were rolling over from the previous year? That would be stupid. Rollovers is a nice concept but only if it's implemented correctly. Also, I don't see that choice to "Undo all rollover edits.....".
     ---- Quicken User since 1998 ----
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Philip107 said:
    I only budget for the year, not monthly, so I set the yearly budget value in January only. I tried using Rollovers but they didn't seem to work right, probably because they were rolling over from the previous year? That would be stupid. Rollovers is a nice concept but only if it's implemented correctly. Also, I don't see that choice to "Undo all rollover edits.....".

To get the "Undo all rollover edits..." menu click on this icon:

But note that isn't what you want.
    First off it is just for the one category, not all categories.  And second what it does if "undo the edits that you did".  As in if the rollover was $10 and I changed it to $0, then selecting this would change it back to $10.  And the "all" in this case is "all months for that category".

For what you want, you currently would have to go in an change all of the rollovers in January to $0.

To see/change a given rollover make sure the balance is being shown and click on the balance amount in the table. 
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I never used the Annual View in Budgets so I missed this popup. I don't think you can get to it in any other view. Also, if you don't have Rollovers turned on you can't get to this popup.

I now see how you can zero out the Rollover from December of the previous year.

Also, if you don't have Rollovers turned on you won't see that "Undo all rollover edits...." in the popup.

---- Quicken User since 1998 ----
This discussion has been closed.