Remove Budget Rollover Balance Year to Year - How-to and Idea (2 Legacy Votes)

MarkD
MarkD Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Budget and Planning Tools

I would like my 2014 budget to start at zero (no carry over from 2013) and then rollover the monthly balances every month till 12/31/2014. Then re-set to 0 and so forth...

Can't figure out how to do it. Any ideas please?

20 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited August 2019
    A good reminder from @UKR on how to remove the budget rollover balance from old to new year (if you look at your budget this way).   See link and image below.  

Basically, the options are:  1.  remove the rollover option in prior year or 2. set the balance on those rollover categories to zero.  See image on where option 2 this is done.  I opted for #2.

Tedious if you have lots of categories.  Wish there was a switch to prevent year to year rollover but the workaround is doable.  Perhaps that switch could be placed in the Budget Preferences menu item.

Regards,
    Scott
    2018 QW HBR

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/why-is-the-rollover-balance-from-last-year-inclu...

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Excellent idea.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Timely post.  Just finished budgeting.  This is the first year I've continued a previous year rather than start fresh and came across the rollover from previous year issue.  This saved me from struggling to figure out what was wrong and provided the fix.  Adding my vote for the idea.
  • JoeBlow
    JoeBlow Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I also would like the ability to transfer some or all of a rollover balance from one category to another, within the same month. If I'm overbudget on gifts but underbudget on entertainment, and both use rollover, I can move some of the available balance in entertainment to supplement gifts, without changing the net budget amount.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I also would like the ability to transfer some or all of a rollover balance from one category to another, within the same month. If I'm overbudget on gifts but underbudget on entertainment, and both use rollover, I can move some of the available balance in entertainment to supplement gifts, without changing the net budget amount.

Sounds like envelope budgeting... which Quicken doesn't do. 
  • JoeBlow
    JoeBlow Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Yup, and there's no reason they can't offer that small feature for those of us who prefer it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

JoeBlow You should post your own suggestion instead tacking it on to a different suggestion.  The voting here is for the original suggestion.  Select NEW POST and make sure you make yours as an Idea.
  • JoeBlow
    JoeBlow Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Will do. Thanks
  • JoeBlow
    JoeBlow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

Actually, I now recall that I already did, in this discussion. It hasn't gotten an overwhelming response but some other users do like it.
    I apologize for breaking in on this topic.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

@JoeBlow
    For what it is worth I just voted for your idea.  Not that I use envelop budgeting, I don't even really budget, but it does seem like a good idea and not that hard to implement.
  • Scooterlam
    edited January 2019
    A good new year's reminder for those of you who DO NOT want their 2018 rollover balances to register in 2019.  See first post, image and link for more details.   Very simple....right-click on the category's balance figure and edit and save the rollover field. 

But, to avoid any changes to your 2018 budget figures, wait until after the new year  to "zero-out" your rollover balances in your 2019 budget. 

You'll have to do this category by category at this stage.  I still like the idea in the OP - setting a global option.  Please vote on it if you do as well.

Scott
    2019 QW HBR R17.5
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I voted for this. The rollover amounts from 2018 really confused me after I had continued my budget into 2019.  I opted to use method #1 to stop the rollover to 2019. I already had a budget in place for 2018, but it did not have a complete year's data. It would be nice to be able to disable these rollovers.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Jim McLaughlin
    Jim McLaughlin Member ✭✭✭
    Wow, why is this still an issue (and it is). I have been resetting my rollovers for years. It's such a simple fix.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hello @Jim McLaughlin

Thank you for taking the time to come to the Community to post your question, however, this is an older post and less likely to get an answer.

I went ahead and merged this into an existing Idea for the same feature request.

Be sure to add your vote by clicking on the gray triangle right above the current vote count, located in the blue box at the beginning of this thread:

For future reference, please refer to the information outlined here when creating a new post in the Community.

Be sure to include a description of the issue, any error messages as well as the version of Quicken.

The more information you can provide will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Jim McLaughlin
    Jim McLaughlin Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, and the main solution is as Scooterlam suggests.
  • reaserrl
    reaserrl Member ✭✭
    How do you vote for this? <grin> P.S. The fix I got from Quicken Central was to create a new budget every year, which is also "tedious." I did that last night.
  • reaserrl
    reaserrl Member ✭✭
    Nevermind. I figured out how to vote. <grin>
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Wow! This thread started in 2014 and here I am at the end of 2021 still looking for a solution to the issue. I see the workaround; just shocked that a solution has not been implemented in the SW yet. Maybe next year.
  • PhotoCitizen
    PhotoCitizen Member ✭✭
    I'm starting my first Quicken budget (for 2022). Seems that the best practice is to disable rollovers. For now, that's what I'm going to do, anyway.
  • Scooterlam
    I'm starting my first Quicken budget (for 2022). Seems that the best practice is to disable rollovers. For now, that's what I'm going to do, anyway.
    Below is another post on how to clear rollover balances from December into January, for those who do not wish to carry a balance from prior year to new year.   

Unfortunately,  in their transition from old forum software to new forum software, Quicken has broken the above, helpful link and image....

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20059390#Comment_20059390