Limiting accounts tracked in Quicken

I have multiple accounts at a brokerage firm under one logon id. One of the accounts I do NOT want to track in Quicken, but the account is still downloaded from the institution and an error is generated when that account is not found. Can I prevent this?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Offhand I'd think you could deactivate one of the Accounts from online services without a problem.  How do these Accounts connect with the brokerage firm, Direct Connect or Express Web Connect? 
    What's the error message you receive?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken
    Please provide the full name of the financial institution being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.

When setting up Online Services, Quicken should provide a list of all the accounts it finds at a financial institution and you should be able to choose Don't add to Quicken in the pull-down menu for the accounts you do not intend to import at this time.  This should prevent Quicken from generating an error when you subsequently download your accounts from the financial institution.

If you're not seeing this behavior, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • Tom Strange
    Tom Strange Member ✭✭
    I tried adding and then deactivating the account and got OL-362-A Your financial institution has downloaded for an account that does not exist in your Quicken data file.
    I am running Year: 2020 Version: R31.12 Build: 27.1.31.12
    The institution is: Quicken E*Trade
    I will again try the "Do not add to Quicken option" but as I recall I got the same result.
  • Tom Strange
    Tom Strange Member ✭✭
    When I try a new Quicken file with the add an account, it automatically adds all the E*Trade accounts under that user id. It is not giving me the Add / Link / Ignore option.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    When I try a new Quicken file with the add an account, it automatically adds all the E*Trade accounts under that user id. It is not giving me the Add / Link / Ignore option.
    When we use Add Account..., Quicken is assuming we want to add all the accounts but we may select Cancel (or the X in the upper right of the window) to prevent the addition of any account found.  When we subsequently setup the Online Services, we are provide with the list and may select Don't add to Quicken

We should not be receiving an error an OL-362 for an account that has been excluded.
  • Tom Strange
    Tom Strange Member ✭✭
    I must be doing something wrong. After I connect and Quicken is asking to verify the cash balance I'm clicking X but it still adds the account. Do you mean CONTROL B rather than Cancel B?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I must be doing something wrong. After I connect and Quicken is asking to verify the cash balance I'm clicking X but it still adds the account. Do you mean CONTROL B rather than Cancel B?
    I meant select the Cancel button.
  • Tom Strange
    Tom Strange Member ✭✭
    I'm doing this on a new (empty) Quicken file. It is not giving me any options after it connects but immediately adds all the accounts.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm doing this on a new (empty) Quicken file. It is not giving me any options after it connects but immediately adds all the accounts.

Add one "offline" brokerage account first.  When you don't have any accounts that it is possible to link to Quicken will bypass the dialog asking for you to Add/Link/Don't add.
    Also note that E*Trade Bank (checking/savings accounts) are Express Web Connect only and if you are doing them then it should be an account type that matches one that you are going to setup with.

BTW I believe something else is going on here.  A while back several people were getting the OL-362A error because of some kind of mix up and Quicken believing this was a new account but in fact there was just some kind problem with the account number.

What version of Quicken are you on?  (Help -> About Quicken)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have more information on this.  While testing this I was canceling out things and such in the new data file.  And as it turns out I caused the the OL-362-A error in my main data file.

As a result I got to have first hand troubleshooting of this.
    The first realization was that it isn't complaining about the accounts that you didn't include.

I look at your screenshot and your link says there are 4 accounts it is complaining about.  Above you can see it was complaining about an account that is in Quicken.

What I had to do is deactivate all my Vanguard accounts, removing the financial institution name and account number from all of them, and then reactivate them, and do the linking/Don't add to Quicken.

Do you have more than one account login with E*Trade (the brokerage)?
    Because I ran into even more complications with because of it.
    Signature:
  • Tom Strange
    Tom Strange Member ✭✭
    I do have another logon with E*Trade that has 7 accounts under it and here comes what I think will be the real kicker. One of the accounts is shared by both logon ids. I am actually trying to create a test scenario with that interaction. I had tried de / re activating the accounts but hadn't considered removing the institution info. Another half dozen dummy test data sets!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oh well then I have some bad news.  I have the same situation with my wife's account and mine, with one account shared.

Once this started I could get only one of these accounts to work right at a time. Fixing one broke the other.  I'm sure it is a bug that was introduced in a recent patch.

The only way I was able to get them to both be OK was to restore from a backup before I started this testing.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.