Anyone else having issues with Ally Bank and reconciliation?

Options
I've been using Quicken for years to balance my Ally checking account. I balance to the penny every month. I also balance the old fashioned way in a paper check register just in case. Last month, Quicken was off and it wasn't from the current month. The balances from prior months were all messed up and didn't match with my paper register. I went back several months and those were wrong now too. I ended up having to just do an adjustment entry to get it to match. Now this month it's off again, but only a few cents. Anyone else having problems where the balances are changing after you balance? Seems like I can't trust what's being downloaded anymore from Ally.

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @millardjk

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Being that the issue you are experiencing can have multiple causes-- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @mistele9,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you haven't already, I suggest you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 9) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mistele9
    mistele9 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm on version R31.12.
  • millardjk
    Options
    Yes, I've been having issues--on and off--with update for Ally. After opening a support case & working through what we thought were the issues, I opened Quicken today to find the update completely zorching my accounts: splits deleted, transfers & entries missing, previously-reconciled entries switched back to 'cleared'.

Doing a manual file download works without issues, so that's a workaround I'm going with for now.
  • millardjk
    Options
    I just checked it again this morning--after taking a backup first, to be sure--and it's still borked.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @millardjk

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Being that the issue you are experiencing can have multiple causes-- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• mistele9
    mistele9 Member ✭✭
    Options
    This has now happened with one of my credit cards. All the debit and credit transactions match my statement, but the cleared balance is off by $144.22 so it's not balancing because something got changed prior to this statement even though I balanced last month.
  • mistele9
    mistele9 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Update: I found the $144.22...the opening balance of my credit card changed from $0 to the $144.22. No idea how that could've happened. I certainly didn't do it. I changed it to $0 and now I balance my February credit card bill.
This discussion has been closed.