OL-295-A error with USAA since server update

1. Since the server update at USAA I can not downloads from information from USAA after initial setup.
2. I updated to the '-new' servers and it updated correctly.
3. When I then did one step update days later or even account updates, I get OL-295-A.
4. If I disable the account, get my account pin and account ID and reactive the account... it updates perfectly. But, if I do it the next day, same error.
5. I did notice that is change my Customer ID to my Account ID.
6. I have saved the account pin in the one step update passwords.
7. I have enabled cookies (Even third party which I hate and should not have to but I digress.)

Any help?

Best Answers

• editfish
    editfish Member
    Answer ✓
    I'm on assignment overseas and have this problem, too. I can access USAA from overseas with no problem, but this account activation appears to require a VPN. Please fix it; it's annoying.
  • Chaplain Ross
    Chaplain Ross Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @editfish said:
    > I'm on assignment overseas and have this problem, too. I can access USAA from overseas with no problem, but this account activation appears to require a VPN. Please fix it; it's annoying.

I too am serving on an Active Duty overseas (Iwakuni Japan).

Yep... That fixed it. Did not work... turned on my free VPN (Proton VPN) with a USA IP address. Worked, Turned it off, failure, turned it on again, worked perfectly. The VPN lag is only about a minute more for all my accounts (7 from 5 different institutions) to downloads than normal. The new USAA servers are the only ones with problems. Thanks for the tip! Now we have to figure our why USAA is rejecting Quicken inquiries from overseas. But at lease now I have a work around.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Chaplain Ross,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

May I ask when you deactivated/reactivated the account, did you reactivate through Setup Now or through Add Account? If it was through Setup Now, could you please try deactivating the account(s) experiencing this issue again and then reactivating through Add Account (not through Setup Now), please?

Please, follow the steps found in this support article to deactivate. Once deactivated, to reactivate through Add Account, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., search for your Financial Institution name and follow the prompts to connect. Once your account(s) have been found, be sure to link them to the existing account(s) you have already set up in Quicken.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• 1. Quicken 2020, Version R31.12, Build 27.1.31.12
    2. I have deactivated and reactivated the account multiple times following the thread you offered and another thread.
    2a. Another page told me to ensure I deleted the institution name.
    2a1. The financial institution name is now "USAA Federal Savings Bank - new" and the box is grey and I cant change it now.
    2b. When I activated again, the 2 accounts came up and are linked to the proper accounts and and download correctly.
    2b1. This is verification that I set up the information correctly as it did download correctly.
    3. If I attempt to update the account again, either through the 'one step update' or the 'update now' in the gear icon of the individual accounts, I get the OL-295-a error again.
    4. If I deactivate and reactivate, it works, then I get the error.
  • jwing
    jwing Member
    I'm having the same problem. I have not been able to download my Quicken data for weeks now. Please help.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited February 2021
    Hello @Chaplain Ross & @jwing,

Thank you for following up/adding to this discussion.

Next, if you haven't already, I suggest you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 9) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

After validating, see if the error still persists (you may want to try deactivating and reactivating through Add Account in the copied file once again).

If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• editfish
    editfish Member
    Answer ✓
    I'm on assignment overseas and have this problem, too. I can access USAA from overseas with no problem, but this account activation appears to require a VPN. Please fix it; it's annoying.
  • Chaplain Ross
    Chaplain Ross Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @editfish said:
    > I'm on assignment overseas and have this problem, too. I can access USAA from overseas with no problem, but this account activation appears to require a VPN. Please fix it; it's annoying.

I too am serving on an Active Duty overseas (Iwakuni Japan).

Yep... That fixed it. Did not work... turned on my free VPN (Proton VPN) with a USA IP address. Worked, Turned it off, failure, turned it on again, worked perfectly. The VPN lag is only about a minute more for all my accounts (7 from 5 different institutions) to downloads than normal. The new USAA servers are the only ones with problems. Thanks for the tip! Now we have to figure our why USAA is rejecting Quicken inquiries from overseas. But at lease now I have a work around.
  • fwhitecpa
    fwhitecpa Unconfirmed, Member
    Deactivated existing account and Added New Account...linked new account with existing Quicken USAA credit card account...server downloaded several thousand transactions replacing the confirmed and reconciled transactions in Quicken...how to I prevent the server from downloading transactions?
  • jwing
    jwing Member
    Creating a new file is not the answer! Quicken needs to work with USAA to find out why the heck we cannot easily download our transactions now.
  • wakapela
    wakapela Member ✭✭
    > @jwing said:
    > Creating a new file is not the answer! Quicken needs to work with USAA to find out why the heck we cannot easily download our transactions now.

I agree USAA and Quicken need to collaborate and fix this problem that has persisted since February. After 20 years of using Quicken and downloading my USAA transactions without a problem, this is very frustrating and I may have to change who I do everyday banking with. What used to take 10min a day to do now takes an hour.

I have spent over 24 hours researching, talking with USAA and Quicken to solve this issue. Nothing has helped. I am still unable to establish a link between Quicken and USAA.

Personally, I do not think either Quicken or USAA is doing anything about this. This has been such a cluster!!!
  • Chaplain Ross
    Chaplain Ross Member ✭✭
    As I stated earlier... my work around the fact that neither company is motivated to fix this is loading one of any of the Free VPNs that are on the network. I am serving overseas. But If I turn on my VPN and select a US host site, my USAA account downloads perfectly. If I forget to turn it on, I get an error. I use ProtonVPN but any of them with a US host site should work.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    wakapela said:
    Personally, I do not think either Quicken or USAA is doing anything about this. This has been such a cluster!!!
    I think that is probably an accurate statement for the following reasons.

This is definitely something that USAA is doing, blocking connecting from non-US IP addresses.  To them I'm sure they consider it is needed as a security practice.  And as such isn't likely to change it.

On the Quicken Inc side for them to do something about it they would in fact have to do something similar to what the VPN is doing, as in change the IP address shown to USAA.
    Currently for Direct Connect to USAA it is Quicken (the program) talking directly to a USAA server (the OFX server).  And that is why USAA gets your IP address (actually the one given to you by your Internet provider).

So for Quicken Inc to solve this problem they would have to put their server in between somehow, at least for the initial connection.  I'm not sure they are ready/willing to do that.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • wakapela
    wakapela Member ✭✭
    > @"Chaplain Ross" said:
    > As I stated earlier... my work around the fact that neither company is motivated to fix this is loading one of any of the Free VPNs that are on the network. I am serving overseas. But If I turn on my VPN and select a US host site, my USAA account downloads perfectly. If I forget to turn it on, I get an error. I use ProtonVPN but any of them with a US host site should work.

Chaplain, you are truly the messenger with the answer to my troubles!!!

I had been using Tunnel Bear as a VPN but obviously was not robust enough for this issue. I used ProtonVPN and a miracle happened!!

You have blessed my life.
  • Carlos Ferreira
    Carlos Ferreira Member ✭✭✭
    I was on an assignment overseas for the last two weeks and have experienced the same problem. I was able to access my accounts directly to USAA.COM but never through Quicken. To make it worse VPN service was not allowed either, so no way around the problem. It is imperative that Quicken and USAA find a solution to this problem. Access to Quicken when on assignment abroad is crucial for our peace of mind.