USAA transaction downloads pending transactions [edited]

Options

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guess I should feel lucky! I never encountered the reversals or other errors (just a few duplicate transactions). However, now when doing a reconciliation, Quicken is including all pending transactions the Statement Ending Balance. This results in a value that can be quite different than the one for all posted (downloaded) transactions. Not sure if USAA is sending the wrong data field or if the problem is due to recent changes in Quicken. Result - can no longer get USAA Checking account to reconcile!! (Unless I go online, view all pending transactions and manually enter them into Quicken and then do a reconciliation.) Ugh!

P.S. Not sure if I did the "full" transition to USAA-new, because the step for entering the PIN didn't appear to work correctly (I think I just used my USAA PIN). However, after the reactivating all the accounts, it seemed to work well until yesterday when the reconciliation problems started. (The duplicates were a minor nuisance and I didn't track when they started, haha.) Hope they get these issues resolved soon! --And while they are at it, maybe they could fix the issue with credit card account numbers. Who uses the first 2 and last 2 numbers to identify an account?!!
    Check if the account is setup for Direct Connect (you can see it at the top of the register).  If it is you switched to the new Access ID/PIN correctly.  I haven't tried Express Web Connect, but in the past it has been very unreliable not to mention that these days it is syncing with the "Quicken Cloud account", so it isn't something that I would use.

As far as reconciling goes at least with Direct Connect you will get pending transactions, but the online balance will not be updated.  So it is impossible to reconcile at that point to the online balance.  Later when the transactions actually post the online balance will be updated.

The fundamental reason why pending transactions should never be sent to Quicken is because there isn't anything in the system remove them when the post or for that matter if the transaction doesn't go through.

With Express Web Connect it is hard to tell if it is the financial institution's problem, or Intuit's (which servers fetch the transactions), or Quicken's syncing to the cloud account.  But with Direct Connect those transactions are coming directly from the financial institution, so it definitely USAA that is sending the wrong information.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW
    Thanks for the info. I'm using Quicken Deluxe and did not see Direct Connect at the top of the register. Checked the online services tab and it says the financial institution is USAA Federal Savings Bank - New, but the connection method is still Express Web Connect (and I don't have a Quicken Cloud account). At this point I'm not sure if I'm going to try and change to Direct Connect because it seems like it is having the same problem of downloading Pending transactions. I fully agree that should pending transactions should never be downloaded (like you said, sometimes they disappear like those $1 placeholder transactions from when you are getting gas.) Guess I also need to see if there is a way to Private Message/Reply on this site so I don't have to bore the rest of the board with responses like this. Thanks!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW
     but the connection method is still Express Web Connect (and I don't have a Quicken Cloud account).
    Everyone has a Quicken Cloud account, you can't use Quicken subscription without it.  It stores information like connections to the Credit Score, Quicken Bill Manager, Zillow, MorningStar X-Ray Portfolio, ..., and most recently Express Web Connect transactions, see this thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882641/qcs-express-web-connect-is-cloud-sync

Don't worry about messages since they are related to this thread it is fine.
    Signature:
  • Lakedaisy
    Lakedaisy Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Well... USAA deposit came in this morning as a debit. And all of yesterday's credit card charges were downloaded again. Yay!! :s
    Quicken user since 1986
  • Nik
    Nik Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yay, Feb 11 and still downloading pending charges, and then redownloading the same charges when they go final. Credits and debits are at least dropping in the right spot. Guess I should be thankful, not like I'm paying money to make things right....
  • TrentN
    TrentN Member ✭✭
    Options
    I saw the same as Lakedaisy this morning, my deposit that usually posts on Friday came in a day early and as a payment...

Are there in updates from USAA such as "we're aware there are still issues and they're being worked on" be patient.. ??
  • NoVABill
    NoVABill Member
    Options
    I still cannot get connected to USAA. I use the new Access ID and Access Pin, followed all instructions, but when I try to connect I get taken to a screen that says, "USAA requires a PIN; enter PIN or 0000). I've tried every combo of PINs incl 0000: no luck. I've spoken at length to Quicken tech and to USAA tech - no progress. Appreciate any advice!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NoVABill said:
    I still cannot get connected to USAA. I use the new Access ID and Access Pin, followed all instructions, but when I try to connect I get taken to a screen that says, "USAA requires a PIN; enter PIN or 0000). I've tried every combo of PINs incl 0000: no luck. I've spoken at length to Quicken tech and to USAA tech - no progress. Appreciate any advice!
    Whenever you see the extra dialog with the PIN 0000 that is for Express Web Connect not Direct Connect/Access ID/Access PIN.  And for that to work you would be using the website username and password, and your website PIN.

See if this helps:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20152231/#Comment_20152231

BTW on the subject of Express Web Connect.  If you do get setup with it, even though I don't recommend it long term, given the current problems with Direct Connect, I would probably suggest staying with it for the time being.  But also note that you might get a flood of duplicate transactions switching between the two connection methods.  But I would also probably make sure that I was on the old Express Web Connect connection method called FDS.  Note that eventually QCS will only be available.  See this thread for the method to switch between the two:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7887999/express-web-connect-accounts-not-updating
    Signature:
  • DDover
    DDover Member
    Options
    Following - as I've been having the same problem since switching to "USAA-New". I figured it was something with pending transactions when I saw my payroll deposit hit this morning (as a payment)
  • DDover
    DDover Member
    Options
    Since no one is having luck with phone support, I have sent them a link to their tech support via secure message on their website - with this post linked. Any responses that I receive - I will post here.
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    Everyone has a Quicken Cloud account, you can't use Quicken subscription without it. It stores information like connections to the Credit Score, Quicken Bill Manager, Zillow, MorningStar X-Ray Portfolio, ...,

Well, I checked my Preferences and under Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts there is nothing about the Cloud, only my Quicken Profile. I have deliberately stayed away from the Cloud and don't use Credit Score, Bill Manager, the mobile app, etc., so maybe that's why I don't see anything. I also tried to find the FDS/QCS connection used with the steps recommended (F4+Help+About Quicken) and can't get the pop-up to appear.

The GREAT NEWS is that my download worked just fine today (6 downloaded transactions matched my manual entries) and I was able to reconcile without issue. The credits and debits all appeared in the proper columns. This, however, may just be luck as I checked the USAA website and didn't have any pending transactions. Guess I'll stay tuned, but be thankful that it appears to be working for me.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, I checked my Preferences and under Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts there is nothing about the Cloud, only my Quicken Profile.  I also tried to find the FDS/QCS connection used with the steps recommended (F4+Help+About Quicken) and can't get the pop-up to appear.
    They hide it when you don't have Quicken sync on, but it is there.
    Create a new data file and turn on Mobile/Web sync in it and select:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID(x)

For the other hold down F4 while selecting Help -> About Quicken.
    Signature:
  • AaronInTexas
    AaronInTexas Member ✭✭
    Options
    download went well this morning from USAA. checking account received a credit card rewards payment and a correct transaction was downloaded to credit card that automatically matched to a prior manual entry. will continue to monitor.
  • Lundwall
    Lundwall Member ✭✭
    Options
    When the changes with USAA took place I was able to get my checking account reconnected but not my other accounts. Downloads into checking worked fine. Yesterday morning's download went fine. Later in the day I saw a new regularly scheduled deposit in USAA so I downloaded again. This one came in as a payment instead - first time that's happened.

I quickly shut that session down without syncing or backing up that file. This morning, using a different computer and a back up from before yesterday afternoon's download, I downloaded again and that same deposit came in perfectly fine. Sure hope they can get all this USAA-Quicken stuff figured out soon.
  • AaronInTexas
    AaronInTexas Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @AaronInTexas said:
    > download went well this morning from USAA. checking account received a credit card rewards payment and a correct transaction was downloaded to credit card that automatically matched to a prior manual entry. will continue to monitor.

follow up on 2/12/2021 about 11:21am central - downloaded duplicate transaction from USAA. I deleted it and sent log / error report to Quicken.
  • AaronInTexas
    AaronInTexas Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @AaronInTexas said:
    > > @AaronInTexas said:
    > > download went well this morning from USAA. checking account received a credit card rewards payment and a correct transaction was downloaded to credit card that automatically matched to a prior manual entry. will continue to monitor.
    >
    > follow up on 2/12/2021 about 11:21am central - downloaded duplicate transaction from USAA. I deleted it and sent log / error report to Quicken.

follow up on 2/13/2021 about 10:58am central - downloaded duplicate payment transaction from USAA. I deleted it.
  • jeannetousley2020
    Options
    My reconnected USAA "New" account was working correctly but now I cannot download any transactions and am getting the following error: OL-295-A.

I am not willing to give up Quicken at this point, and although I love USAA, I can see looking into other banking options. Anyone have suggestions of a bank that plays well with Quicken and is responsive to tech issues that arise?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options
    My reconnected USAA "New" account was working correctly but now I cannot download any transactions and am getting the following error: OL-295-A.

I am not willing to give up Quicken at this point, and although I love USAA, I can see looking into other banking options. Anyone have suggestions of a bank that plays well with Quicken and is responsive to tech issues that arise?
    For what it is worth it is working for me now.  I sort of take these temporary blocks as a hope that they are working on the problems.

As for financial institutions the "play well".  My first criteria would be that you can get Direct Connect, without that you are subject to constant problems from almost any of them especially since Quicken Inc is in the process of changing over how Express Web Connect works (changing to syncing the the Quicken cloud account, instead of directly to the Intuit server).

That alone is getting harder and harder to achieve these days as financial institutions drop it for cost savings.  For instance I believe that BOA only has it for people that are grandfathered in.  And the same might now be true for Chase.

But frankly I haven't heard of any financial institution that hasn't had problems from time to time.

What I think actually though what would be better is for you to start a new thread asking people for their opinions on the best financial institutions.  Note that some people pick theirs because they support bill paying through Direct Connect.
    Signature:
  • allenr5
    allenr5 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Feb 16 USAA checking account still downloading pending charges, and then redownloading the same charges when they have cleared. Has anyone seen/heard from USAA that they acknowledge the problem and are working on it?
  • OldQknGuy
    OldQknGuy Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same experience as @allenr5 , downloading pending transactions again, after it looked like it was working correctly at the end of last week.
  • gunnerbee
    gunnerbee Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @jeannetousley2020 said:
    > I am not willing to give up Quicken at this point, and although I love USAA, I can see looking into other banking options.

This is funny. I'm having the same problem but considering doing the opposite.
  • buzzard192
    buzzard192 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Two additional issues I am seeing:

1 - Multiple identical transactions are not imported. e.g. I just purchased 4 identical airline tickets. Only one imported. If the transactions are the same price, it only gets imported once. This has happened for multiple things

2 - Payee and Memo are both imported, almost identical, but payee gets truncated more than memo. The long version should be imported as payee and no memo should be populated.

Does anyone have a POC at USAA we can discuss these issues with? It appears the issues are mostly how USAA is formatting the data - with the exception of the identical transactions. I don't know if they are providing it multiple times and quicken is removing duplicates, or if USAA is removing the transactions on their end.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Two additional issues I am seeing:

1 - Multiple identical transactions are not imported. e.g. I just purchased 4 identical airline tickets. Only one imported. If the transactions are the same price, it only gets imported once. This has happened for multiple things

2 - Payee and Memo are both imported, almost identical, but payee gets truncated more than memo. The long version should be imported as payee and no memo should be populated.

The first one sounds like you are using Express Web Connect instead of Direct Connect.  There is are two known problems with how Intuit processes Express Web Connect transactions.  Note that Quicken Inc pays Intuit for the Express Web Connect service.

When Intuit gets data from a financial institution in a form other than OFX they have to convert it to OFX format for Quicken and they generate the unique Ids for the transactions.  The first problem is if there are some transactions that are identical (same date, payee, amount,...) they give them all the same unique Id.  So to Quicken they look like duplicate transactions and it skips all, but the first one.  Note that when Intuit generates the unique Ids they start with INTUIT. You can see what the unique Id is for your transactions by turning on the Downloaded ID column in the register.  You can also get more information about the missing transactions in the Cloud Sync and OFX logs (Help -> Log Files).  The second problem is that Intuit uses some kind of "seed" number to generate these unique Ids.  And that "seed" number changes if you reset or deactivate the account, resulting in about one months worth of transactions being reimported because their unique Is have changed.

As for #2 this not a bug.  The OFX standard limits the payee to 32 characters whereas the memo is up to 255 characters.
    Signature:
  • buzzard192
    buzzard192 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > The first one sounds like you are using Express Web Connect instead of Direct Connect.  There is are two known problems with how Intuit processes Express Web Connect transactions.  Note that Quicken Inc pays Intuit for the Express Web Connect service.
    >
    > When Intuit gets data from a financial institution in a form other than OFX they have to convert it to OFX format for Quicken and they generate the unique Ids for the transactions.  The first problem is if there are some transactions that are identical (same date, payee, amount,...) they give them all the same unique Id.  So to Quicken they look like duplicate transactions and it skips all, but the first one.  Note that when Intuit generates the unique Ids they start with INTUIT. You can see what the unique Id is for your transactions by turning on the Downloaded ID column in the register.  You can also get more information about the missing transactions in the Cloud Sync and OFX logs (Help -> Log Files).  The second problem is that Intuit uses some kind of "seed" number to generate these unique Ids.  And that "seed" number changes if you reset or deactivate the account, resulting in about one months worth of transactions being reimported because their unique Is have changed.
    >
    > As for #2 this not a bug.  The OFX standard limits the payee to 32 characters whereas the memo is up to 255 characters.

Thanks for the info. I just went into Quicken and confirmed I am using Direct Connect for the USAA accounts. The downloaded IDs do not start with INTUIT, so this does not appear to be the issue with the duplicate transactions.

Looking in the OFX log, all of the ticket purchases have the same FITID, but the names on each is different and include the order number - so the amount and FITID were identical, but payee and memo were not.

It is sending/receiving from this site: https://df3cx-services.1fsapi.com/casm/usaa/access.ofx
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looking in the OFX log, all of the ticket purchases have the same FITID, but the names on each is different and include the order number - so the amount and FITID were identical, but payee and memo were not.

It is sending/receiving from this site: https://df3cx-services.1fsapi.com/casm/usaa/access.ofx
    Quicken only goes by the FITID, by the OFX standard it has to be unique for every transaction.  If it is the same as another the second (or more) will be skipped.  So it seems that USAA has yet another problem assigning the same unique Id to different transactions when the date/amount is the same.
    Signature:
  • buzzard192
    buzzard192 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options
    That's good to know. Does anyone know how we can get USAA to address the duplicate FITIDs?

EDIT - Nevermind. I just did an import and all the identical transactions were imported, so it looks like USAA fixed this issue.
  • OldQknGuy
    OldQknGuy Member ✭✭
    Options
    Progress? Quicken did not download pending transactions today, only posted ones.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's good to know. Does anyone know how we can get USAA to address the duplicate FITIDs?

EDIT - Nevermind. I just did an import and all the identical transactions were imported, so it looks like USAA fixed this issue.
    I'm wondering if that's a variation of the pending transaction problem.  As in if they had a group of pending transactions with the same amount they give them the same unique ID but when they actually post they give them different unique IDs.

I guess time will tell.
    Signature:
  • gunnerbee
    gunnerbee Member ✭✭
    Options
    I still haven't gotten quicken to reconcile from one day to the next. Always off by different amounts.
  • Kris Kringle
    Kris Kringle Member ✭✭
    Options
    STILL having pending transactions download on 2 checking accounts, but not a third.
This discussion has been closed.