How can I download the price for bitcoin?

dave344
dave344 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Does anyone know the symbol for bitcoin? Yahoo finance shows it as BTC but when I have Quicken download prices for this symbol it is not Bitcoin.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Bitcoin is not a security so it is not on Quicken's service providers list. You can manually create it as a security for Bitcoin (BTC) and download the prices from Yahoo Finance as a CSV file and import them into Quicken though....
  • SpeedDemon
    SpeedDemon Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    To be more specific setup the Security manually as Other (since Quicken does not have a security type called Cryptocurrency) and enter the security name as The NYSE Bitcoin Index

Answers

• YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Bitcoin is not a security so it is not on Quicken's service providers list. You can manually create it as a security for Bitcoin (BTC) and download the prices from Yahoo Finance as a CSV file and import them into Quicken though....
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @dave344,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Unfortunately, since Bitcoin and cryptocurrency tracking is not currently an available feature in Quicken right now; I'd like to refer you to this active Idea post regarding this topic instead which is currently marked as Planned. If you would like to be notified of updates on this feature request as they become available, you can go ahead and bookmark the thread by clicking the yellow star on the top-right corner.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• SpeedDemon
    SpeedDemon Member ✭✭
    Enter the security type as The NYSE Bitcoin Index
  • SpeedDemon
    SpeedDemon Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    To be more specific setup the Security manually as Other (since Quicken does not have a security type called Cryptocurrency) and enter the security name as The NYSE Bitcoin Index
  • dave344
    dave344 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you SpeedDemon. That appears to work! Apparently the symbol for "The NYSE Bitcoin Index" is INDEX:NYXBT and not BTC
  • SpeedDemon
    SpeedDemon Member ✭✭
    Indeed - I have been using that for 5 years in Quicken. Just wish I could find something for the other cryptos as well. Quicken has missed the boat on this. I hear NYSE or NASDAQ is working on Indices for all the major cryptos.
  • binder_dan
    binder_dan Member ✭✭
    All cryptocurrencies are tracked on Yahoo Finance and historic price data can be downloaded into a CSV file. When I try to import from that download, Quicken tells me that "No valid prices found to import." Frustrating that you can access the data and Quicken is unable to read it.
  • PL404
    PL404 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    For anyone reading this in Jan 2022 and later ... here's what I did to get crypto price history into Quicken.

I first create a security called "Bitcoin" or "BTCUSD," if you like, and then under the "Price History" tab in Quicken for this newly created security I click the "Choose CSV File to Import" button and import a CSV file I have downloaded from Stockcharts.com (where I am a member -- not sure you can get the price history download if you are not a member).

But there's a problem ... Quicken doesn't take the Stockcharts CSV as-is and so I have to do as follows.

I create my own csv file (using Excel) containing no data but with the following column labels: Date, Open, Close, High, Low, Volume.  I then open the Stockcharts CSV that I downloaded with, for example, BTC's daily price history going back to 2014.

Stockcharts uses the exact same column names as Quicken requires (Date, Open, Close, High, Low, Volume) but because Quicken won't accept the Stockcharts csv as-is, I do this:

I copy, starting on row 2, (i.e., just below the column labels) all the rows of date/price/volume data in the Stockcharts csv and paste that data into my own spreadsheet (the one I created above in the first sentence of this reply), then save. I close the file, go back to the Quicken "Choose CSV File to Import" and choose the file I just created and saved, and Quicken accepts that file and wallah! I have daily price history in Quicken for BTC going back to 2014.

Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.