Vanguard and Fidelity NetBenefits accounts keep on asking for password on every sync

I recently migrated my Quicken finances file from a mac to another mac.
Since then, two accounts always ask for a password on a sync, Vanguard & Fidelity NetBenefits.
I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting (only with the vanguard one) but that did not fix it.
I have tried resetting the connection as well, that does not fix it either.
I want to avoid deleting and re-adding the accounts as that will cause some Issues for transactions marked as transfers or some auto bills that are setup.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @leondmello

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

The steps to correct this issue will require that the accounts be deactivated. If you have pending payments, I would allow for some time for these to process before completing the next steps.

Once ready, please follow the steps below to deactivate the accounts and delete the password saved in the keychain.

First, deactivate all the accounts with the affected financial institution

1. Open Quicken.
    2. Go to the Accounts menu and choose Hide and Show Accounts;
    3. Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution (FI) that are hidden in Lists;
    4. When complete, click on the account name for your account(s) in the Accounts toolbar in Quicken.
    5. Click the Settings icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.
    6. Select the Downloads tab.
    7. Click on Disconnect Account.
    8. Click Done. Do this on each account with this FI. 
    9. Quit Quicken.

Second, delete Quicken passwords from the Keychain

1. Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access app;
    2. On the left panel in the Keychain app, set the Keychains to Login and the Category to Passwords.
    3. Find and delete any entries that show Quicken or Quicken Connect and this FI name;
    4. Quit the Keychain Access app and open Quicken.

Third, update the bank list in Quicken

1. Go to Accounts > New and pick an account type matching one of the affected accounts.
    2. At the bottom of the window that lists the financial institutions, click the "My bank is not listed" question mark icon; then click Update List.
    3. When the list finishes updating, it will display the current date. Click the Show List button to continue.

Lastly, re-add the accounts

1. Type the name of the financial institution and make the appropriate selection.
    2. Enter your login credentials and click Continue.
    3. When Quicken has returned all accounts discovered for this FI, very carefully LINK each of the found accounts to the appropriate account you already have set up in Quicken.
    Please let us know if these steps work to resolve the issue.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • leondmello
    leondmello Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply Tyka.
    But unfortunately, that did not fix it.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @leondmello,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for not having received a follow-up response yet.

First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Quicken > About Quicken
    If you haven't already, I suggest that you try to reset your Quicken Cloud. Doing so does not affect your data file. Please, follow the steps below in order to do so.
    1. Navigate to the Quicken dropdown menu
    2. Preferences...
    3. Connected Services
    4. Click Reset 
    Once that is done, see if the issue still persists.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• leondmello
    leondmello Member ✭✭
    That did not work either
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since then, two accounts always ask for a password on a sync, Vanguard & Fidelity NetBenefits.
    Can you provide screenshots of the requests for a password, one for each of the two accounts?

You can post screenshots by writing your reply and then dragging the screenshot files into that same text window. The screenshot will appear at the text cursor.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • lhossus
    Are there any other errors, or other messages, associated with your two troublesome accounts?

Are you sure you have accurately performed the Second step, delete Quicken passwords from the Keychain, found in Quicken_Tyka's post above?

When you go into the Keychain Access app, if you search for "Quicken", do you find any entries? A screenshot here would be very helpful.
  • leondmello
    leondmello Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    There are no other errors with these two accounts
    Yes, I tried the exact steps, performed them again now just prior to posting this.
    After performing the steps, I closed quicken, reopened and hit sync all accounts and I get the same prompts.
    When I open keychain now, i see two entries (attached). The timestamp matches since I quit Quicken.
  • lhossus
    So, there appears to be a disconnect between Quicken and the Keychain.

The next thing to try in this investigation is set up a new data file:
    1. File > New > Start from Scratch. Do NOT use Quicken Mobile or Web. 
    2. Establish accounts in this new data file and link them to Vanguard and Fidelity Net Benefits. Make sure "Add Password to Keychain" is checked. 
    Does syncing this new data file still produce the error?

Are there Keychain entries for these newly set up accounts?

Other questions to help us understand what is going on:

What versions are you using:
    - Quicken: Quicken menu > About Quicken?
    - macOS: Apple menu > About this Mac?

Why did you "recently migrated my Quicken finances file from a mac to another mac."? How did you do the migration?

Do you have any other Quicken accounts connected to a financial institution for downloading transactions, or receiving billing information?
  • leondmello
    leondmello Member ✭✭
    I was able to fix the issue by click the save to key-chain checkbox.
    I don't know if I needed to save those to key-chain with the older macbook. I might be misremembering though.
  • lhossus
    I was able to fix the issue by click the save to key-chain checkbox.
    Thats great. Thanks for letting is know.
    I don't know if I needed to save those to key-chain with the older macbook. I might be misremembering though.
    Yes, Quicken uses the Keychain to store all the financial institution passwords. If you don't let it store the passwords, then Quicken has to ask you for them each time a financial institution is accessed to download transactions.

You might notice in the screenshots you provided earlier in this thread that the "Add password to Keychain" checkbox is checked - that is the recommended setting.
This discussion has been closed.